Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first handgun purchase was this PT-22 with 500 blazer rounds and a holster for $200. It's a nice gun and all but I've been having frequent fail to fires. It's never failed to feed or stove piped. The fail to fire problem sometimes requires me to strike the round 2-4 times before it fires. Some times when I opened the chaimber after a fail to fire to inspect what was going on, I observed the round and saw that the rim was not stuck but rather more the center. I also observed my firing pin was sideways. I did some Half pulls of the trigger (making the hammer go in and out) and observed the firing pin "spinning" it would rotate to a new position every time it went in and out. it will also spin if I simply just tap or shake the gun. I will include a picture in the bottom of what I mean and a drawing of the strike in getting. It only fails to fire about 2 of the 9 rounds. I you know anything about this I'd love some information, pointers or a fix. Thanks!!

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
*new information* when I take off the slide and shake it you can hear the firing pin making a "dink" sound. And I observed it going in and out of the hole in a new position every time it showed through the hole.

·
Registered
350 Posts
It may be broken. That is a problem with the pt22. You need to remove the firing pin and see if it is two pieces. If so it has to go back to the factory for repair. They will not sell you a new fp. Sometimes this is caused from dry firing and some times they just break. One of the reasons I could never recommend a pt22.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I love my PT22, I got the alloy frame version. Issues with the firing pin could happen any gun, not just the PT22. I hope the factory has a quick turn around time for you.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Reactions: rayw

·
22,981 Posts
I can't help you solve the problem, but I have to say I wish everyone explained their problems as well as you did.

Reactions: Three Percent

·
Supporting Moderator
5,350 Posts
Numrich is sold out of the firing pin and spring.
I did some searching.
https://www.northwestfirearms.com/t...for-a-taurus-pt-22.109752/?PageSpeed=noscript
Scroll down and they mention Jack First Gun Shop. Apparently they make firing pins to order.
They also sell on eBay, but I did not find a PT-22 firing pin there in the listings.
Try calling them.
View attachment 152185

I live about 4 miles from Jack First, and they do have PT22 firing pins in stock.
If I remember right, they are 24.00 dollars and work perfect!

Reactions: lchaim

·
Registered
350 Posts
I live about 4 miles from Jack First, and they do have PT22 firing pins in stock.
If I remember right, they are 24.00 dollars and work perfect!
Wish I had known about them when mine puked. I had to have two of them custom made.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for the information. I will be taking apart the firing pin assembly when I get home. Does any one have a instructional guide on how to do this? I checked YouTube and could not find one. I am very good with my hands so I'm up to the challenge. But is it possible it is the firing pin retainer? I feel like if the pin was broken it would fall out? And @ghosthorse thank you, I agree haha. I'd rather get straight to the point with an explanation than waste people's time reading crap.

i have found many firing pins on eBay, some of them made CNC machined out of steel and heat treated for under $25. I MIGHT try to do a little ******* fix with superglue and see how long it lasts. I'm not carrying this at the moment so I'm not depending on it, it won't hurt To try I guess.

·
Registered
12,468 Posts
Might be a youtube Beretta video. Similar if not exactly the same.

Thank you all for the information. I will be taking apart the firing pin assembly when I get home. Does any one have a instructional guide on how to do this? I checked YouTube and could not find one. I am very good with my hands so I'm up to the challenge. But is it possible it is the firing pin retainer? I feel like if the pin was broken it would fall out? And @ghosthorse thank you, I agree haha. I'd rather get straight to the point with an explanation than waste people's time reading crap.

i have found many firing pins on eBay, some of them made CNC machined out of steel and heat treated for under $25. I MIGHT try to do a little ******* fix with superglue and see how long it lasts. I'm not carrying this at the moment so I'm not depending on it, it won't hurt To try I guess.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Well, it is no wonder you have been having issues with FTF. With that firing pin hitting from all angles, on a rimfire that will not work.

·
Supporting Moderator
5,350 Posts

I need your address, will be sending you a new firing pin from Jack First.............
You don't owe me anything, feeling helpful today!:)

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
After a long break in, my PT 22 would feed and eject perfectly, but I would get occasional light strikes. Maybe this was my problem. I never bothered with it because the 2nd strike capability would always make it work the 2nd trigger pull.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Any one have idea as to why this happened? Dry firing on empty chamber maybe? I just bought a PT22 and had not heard of this problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Any one have idea as to why this happened? Dry firing on empty chamber maybe? I just bought a PT22 and had not heard of this problem.

I actually believe its just a design flaw. It seems as if the two halfs are different pieces and were fused together later in the manufacturing process. I'm not sure of that but that's what it looks like. If they had designed it as one piece pin that gradually descended in size rather than it being a hunk of metal with a smaller piece of metal fused to it, it would probably be sturdier. It's almost looks like a weld joint to me. It broke really cleanly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts