Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Years ago I picked up a PT-22 for my wife. She is very accurate with this pistol with it being a purse gun. Question though is aside from using typical Federal Bulk pack ammo, I'm at a lose of what many are using for SD purposes. I recall twice using CCI stingers and found this ammo to disassemble the gun upon firing. My favorite 22 round, Remington Yellow Jackets was a bit much also as it took out the firing pin.

We keep this loaded with Federal Bulk Pack but is there a better 22LR round for SD purposes without my continued testing that thus far messes up the gun?

What are you guys/gals using?

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Really whatever it fire s well is what would be best. There will be very little difference in the stopping power of various 22 rounds. If the Federals run we'll through it, use them.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I know that the use of high/hyper velocity ammo is a no, no in those guns, it says it in the box. That puts a limit on what you can use. I like Quik Shok, but...

·
Registered
29,957 Posts
:r_c: Personally, I think it's a stretch depending on JHP's to reliably expand from such short barreled guns.

I'd recommend sticking to which ever FMJ .22 it fed the most reliably, and depend on shot placement to win the day. :thumb:

·
Registered
226 Posts
I know that the use of high/hyper velocity ammo is a no, no in those guns, it says it in the box. That puts a limit on what you can use. I like Quik Shok, but...
I've heard people using stingers all the time without a problem, But I wish I could find some to try it out.

Since we aren't supposed to use ultra, hyper or high velocity stuff, I would probably go with a high velocity match grade lead solid point for maximum penetration and if you can find standard velocity stuff use that for target practice

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
You can't go wrong with CCI Mini-Mags in any .22 chambered for long rifle!

Reactions: SteveZ

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
I've used Winchester Super X, CCI Mini-Mags, and Remington Golden Bullets as carry ammo in .22 since I know all three function prefectly in my .22's. "High Velocity" ammo can be used in the PT-22, most don't go above 1280 fps with that classification. Anything above 1300 fps would push into the "Hyper Velocity" realm and be punishing the pistol to the brink of failure, which is why it's not to be used. Anything pushing harder than that should be shot in a good bolt action rifle, or come in a box of 20 marked .223.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the input. Looks like I should have stayed far away from the hyper velocity rounds. Stick with Federal Bulk Pack stuff until we can try out some CCI mini-mags. My wife likes this pistol because she can place a shot well anywhere she wants because of the lack of recoil. I'd prefer she have a small 9mm as a purse pistol but she does have one for car and home (PT 24/7). A 22lr that she can function well with is good enough for me.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
I'm really glad I've read this thread. I had no idea high velocity shouldn't be used in PT-22's. I've put probably 700 rounds of it through mine. Mostly Mini Mag, I think. No problems yet, but I guess I'll have to modify it's diet. I really don't like having to scrounge around for standard velocity ammo, though. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Okay, I just looked in my PT-22 box, and the warning has no restrictions on high velocity ammo. The warning reads:

"WARNING: This pistol is designed to shoot 22 long rifle standard and high velocity only. Do not use any other ammunition in this pistol, such as hyper velocity and super high velocity...."

It goes on to say using higher than high velocity ammo will void the warranty and may damage the gun. Earlier PT-22's may have been restricted from using high velocity, but not mine, which is about 2 years old.

The owner's manual says, as Montkun stated, that velocities shouldn't exceed 1280 at the muzzle. Mini mags seem to range about 1235 to 1260 depending on hp or not.

Whew! :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I like the CCI Blazer bulk pack. It seems to burn cleaner and is more reliable than other bulk ammo.

In my opinion, you cant go wrong with any CCI ammo

1 - 11 of 11 Posts