Taurus Firearm Forum banner

PT 1911 take down

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  impulsive7 
#1 ·
Hi all, new here & glad I found this forum. A couple of weeks ago I got my first full size 1911, the PT1911. So far I think it's a real keeper. I have one (with probally more to follow) question. Is it possible to take apart the PT1911 without using the bushing tool?

#6 ·
i have found that if you cock the hammer and put the safty on, unloaded of course, that it will keep the slide from moving back and make it easier. as well, when you use your thumb nail to depress the sprind plug, push on the bottom edge so you can rotate the bushing. CAUTION::::do not place your head over the end of the gun, if you loose your grip on the spring, the plug and spring will get you. after that its all gravy.

#8 ·
After you have loosened the bushing by taking it off a few times, I keep a small flat screw driver handy to press the spring plug down without eating up the end of your thumb. Good luck and enjoy!

#9 ·
OK this is real easy as I've left my tool in another bag any flat surface will work just be carefull when you release the tension. I've used the side of my pocket knife closed of course. press down on the plug and rotate the bushing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.