Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll try to be brief and do a overview. I would hope somebody at Taurus USA reads this and other forums about their products. I write this not to be negative about the pistol, but to inform the readers of what happened to me and the product I bought. I love the PT1911, either blue or SS. It is the best value for the dollar spent. It is not "cheap" but inexpensive. Taurus has taken a few steps to hold the price line and if you look hard enough you can find the things they have done to save manufacturing costs.

After receipt I took it apart to clean it. It was fired at the factory. That one shot had to be the dirtiest powder made! Lotta black soot and a dozen patches to get the barrel clean. I wanted the firing pin out to clean the hole out. Once the firing pin block (part of series 80 safety system) had been set to lock back the firing pin I found that the firing pin stop would not come out of the slide. Looking at the side of the rail next to the firing pin stop it had been "peened" to put pressure on the side of the firing pin stop. I got it out, but had to resort to a screwdriver blade and tapping with a screwdiver handle. It came out at 1/64" per tap. Once removed a Q-tip soaked in Hoppes came out black. It was dirty in there. I did not remove the extractor to clean out that hole but will do so on the next tear down. There was a brown material on the bottom of the firing pin stop channel. I thought grease, but it was hard as a rock. Bedding epoxy?? So with the slide reassembled I liberally applied the grease to all friction points and slide areas. Some use oil, I use Ultima-Lube Grease from Wilson Combat. Oil will not stay in place and if there is enough of it to do any good, you will get a face full of oil splatter on the first shot. Not to mention oil on your glasses. With it all slicked up it was much smoother on slide to receiver when being racked. I also installed a Ed Brown recoil buffer on the recoil spring guide. I use recoil buffers on all my 1911's. The Ed Browns will last a practice and a match before being pounded to pieces. (Imagine a flat tire on the rim after being driven flat for about a mile.)

At the range I had six ten round mags and ten eight round mags. A mixture of Taurus, Colt, Kimber, Springfield Armory and Chip MCormick. The new Taurus mags had also been disassembled and oiled up.

The pistol shot low and right (offhand). Thinking it was me, I shot my Colt Gold Cup and put all eight in the black (8") at 25 yards. On top of a 60 gallon drum, with a MTM steady pistol rest the Taurus did better, but still low and right. This is typical for all of the Taurus pistols (5) I have that use the Hiene two dot sights. The Hiene web site says if you have problems with the Hiene sights on a Taurus pistol, go back to Taurus because they are made by Taurus under license. The "infamous low and right" is blamed on trigger pull and your grip. I can fix the right impact by moving the rear sight, but low??. This is all based on a center mass hold on the target. So I compensate by holding at eleven oclock high on the target. The obvious cure for all is an adjustable rear sight.

The range session stopped with the Taurus when the ambidextrous safety came apart (seperated internally) and Jammed/locked the gun up. I almost lost the Thumb Safety Plunger because it came out and was jammed under the left thumb safety. It is supposed to be "captured" by a crimped spring so that the Slide Stop Plunger and Plunger Spring are removed as a unit and the three pieces all stay together. (Remember about cost saving labor steps.)

It's a good thing I had the range to myself (Christmas morning) cause the there was a round in the chamber, the hammer was at half cock and the safety would not move, nor would the slide move to allow for unloading. I'm sure that the barrel was pointed everywhere except at myself. I needed four hands and more tools than a pocket knife. Well with my pocket knife I got the plunger back in the tube and was able to engage the two parts of the ambidextrious safety and get it in the fire position. The hammer was recocked and the slide racked to remove the live round. Enough of that, it went back in the bag. I already have the Wilson Combat #6S Extended Thumb Safety on my work bench to replace the ambidextrous safety. I will also replace the Slide Stop Plunger/Plunger Spring/Thumb Safety Plunger with one from Wilson Combat.

The problem with the ambidextrous spring is not new, it has been reported before, the same with the Hiene "low and right" sights. When I cleand and lubed it, the ejector was solid and fully pinned through the receiver.

On a positive note all mags worked fine and there were no FTF/FTE with my reloaded 230 hardball.

Now it's time for a total diassembly, spring change out and adding a few personal touches with parts from Ed Brown and Wilson Combat. I try and make qall my 1911's identical in feel and parts so no matter which one I grab it feels the same. All except the Springfield Armory Trophy Match, that one is so accurate (1 1/2 inches, offhand, at 25 yards) I'm afraid to change anything except to clean it, replace the recoil buffer and shoot it.

More later if anybody is interested.

Be aware of your surroundings and be ready to fight to keep what is yours.

All the best for the Holiday Season, stay safe!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Good report; hope that you are able to resolve with the tear down. I seem to remember somebody else having a Pt1911 issue with the safety literally breaking off.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Well now, I will tell who ever wants to read how my first session shooting my new Taurus SS PT1911 went:
I bought it, drove home, loaded both mags with Remington 230 grain HP ammo while sitting on the tailgate of my pickup and proceeded to rip off all 16 rounds. No FTFs or FTEs; just accurate, reliable service. No evidence of any extra oil or dirt or anything unusual. I then reloaded both mags with the same ammo and put 10 rounds in a new Chip McCormick SS mag. Bracing on the side of the pickup bed and shooting at targets set up against a pond dam backdrop, the gun put all rounds from the two Taurus mags into a group the size of my hand. Using the 10 round extended mag, it did the same thing. It ran like a charm. The gun is very tight; but not difficult to operate and the mags load easily enough after a time or two.
Not to challenge anyone, but it seems to me, after more than 40 years running Colt, S&W and AMT auto pistols (owned and used over 30 of 'em), all of us would be better off to shoot our guns more and tinker with them less. Not talking about keeping guns clean, just avoiding the frustrated gunsmith role. And, one more thing, this SS Taurus 1911 I bought is really accurate on out there at 50 plus yards.
This is not to challenge anyone else. I believe everything anyone tells me at least once. The above story is just what happened to me and my new piece.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
A good balance of reports. Can you find "lemon"... yep from everyone who depends on mass assembly... and I remember clearly one report from a guy with a Wilson out of the box.

I understand some frustration when due to the demand, you have to order a gun sight unseen... I bought mine from Bud's Gun Shop. However I also recognize schoonie's point about "shooting our guns more and tinker with them less" and that is not a negative of High Power Bob's report.

This doesn't disparage either report... they both like their guns, however one had a better experience than the other. Never make your choice based on one report (good or bad) but on the cumulative weight of all you can read. Thanks to both for sharing their experiences

·
Registered
9 Posts
In the little over a year that I've been shooting in pins and plate matches I've witnessed failures and malfunctions in all types of semi-autos and price ranges. I have a PT1911 that's not quite a year old (time I've had it). I had to send it back to the factory for a sear replacement and extractor adjustment. Service was quite fast. I believe it was less than three weeks from door to door and they over-nighted it back to me. Most of my problems were with feeding and I soon learned that bullet seating depth was the culprit. Since making the necessary changes and having the pistol serviced, I've had absolutely no problems and my Taurus is the gun of my choice over a Colt 45 acp and A S&W 9mm. I'm a firm believer now that all semi-autos have a break in period. My next purchase will probably be a PT1911 in the SS version. Both my Colt Double Eagle and my S&W have been sent back to the factory for repairs and adjustments. A good friend of mine recently bought a PT1911 and he likes it so much he is having it hard chromed and a fiber optic sight installed. He is financially able to buy anything thing he wants by the way.

·
Registered
276 Posts
High Power Bob said:
I already have the Wilson Combat #6S Extended Thumb Safety on my work bench to replace the ambidextrous safety. I will also replace the Slide Stop Plunger/Plunger Spring/Thumb Safety Plunger with one from Wilson Combat.
Very good report! Let us know how the swap out of those parts works out. I would be interested in knowing the extent of the work you have to do to fit the parts, if any at all, and the end result; such as, did the gun fire for you better or worse?

Edit: Btw, I haven't experienced my PT1911 shooting low and to the right with my Heine straight eights. They are dead on every time... except when I flinch. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts