Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I bought a pt 1911 back in nov, I loved the duo tone but they didn't make it in 9mm. So I thought I would take a stainless and make it into one. So had the gun transfered to my ffl/gunsmith. He does cericoteing and I final get the gun in jan5th. Got the gun on Friday,shot on saturday and was happy to go shoot my brand new gun. Loaded up and the very 1st shot failure to eject round. Had to pull mag and couldn't get mag out because of she'll still in barrel. So about every 4 rounds it repeated same failure. It would also failure to fire.would have to clear chamber and feed next round. Took gun back to gun smith and told him what was going on. New gun should fire. So all my looking on Internet says extractor problem. He tells me today that the reason it won't eject is because of worn locking lugs and said that he has seen guns with 5000 in better shape and it was a manufacturering defect. So has anyone had this problem or know what the problem could be. So I thought I was buying a good gun but I haven't even got to shoot this gun except for the 50 rounds I ran though it with all the failure to eject and failure to fire problems.:( Gunsmith is going to send back to Taurus. I called taurus and they said the ceracote could void warranty. So I know that the inside of the slide and barrel lugs are not ceracoted so how does that void warranty on a brand new gun that a gunsmith says is a manufacturer problem. Gun less for months should have been my user name.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
I doubt the locking lugs issue, didn't you look at the gun before buying it? Caveat Emptor

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Uh......why would he cerakote a non working gun..?? That is just dumb.

I'm not buyin the worn lugs issue.
well I bought from buds gun shop online and that's why no testing and No one in denver or springs sold taurus 1911 in 9mm. So had to go threw buds. So I guess what everyone here is saying if I ceracote a turd it is still a turd. I don't know where your from but gunshops in colorado don't let you test then buy the gun.you buy and then get to test and might not to take back to gun shop because gun is now used once you buy.

·
Registered
620 Posts
well I bought from buds gun shop online and that's why no testing and No one in denver or springs sold taurus 1911 in 9mm. So had to go threw buds. So I guess what everyone here is saying if I ceracote a turd it is still a turd. I don't know where your from but gunshops in colorado don't let you test then buy the gun.you buy and then get to test and might not to take back to gun shop because gun is now used once you buy.
I've bought many guns from Buds. I understand all that. What I don't understand is why you would have a non working gun cerakoted..??

Did you have the gun cerakoted before you even shot/broke it in..??

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Ok, so your new gun isn't working. It doesn't matter what we all think here on this forum about what Taurus will or wont do about the gun. So you called Taurus and explained the problem to them. What did they have to say about it? Are you sending it in? They will probably say that the coating may void the warranty, but that can't be sure til they see the gun. If the coating was done professionally, then it should not be an issue. With a new gun, they will pay for shipping via a free shipping label for the first 90 days after purchase with the sales receipt. Did they offer that to you? I am thinking you must have sent it in cause you seem to be saying you are going to be without the gun for months. Taurus turnaround times have been pretty good as of late, so I do not think it will take too long, even though they will tell you it will take longer just to cover them selves. And a little friendly advise. Aviod statements like 'Gun less for months should have been my user name' and 'if I ceracote a turd it is still a turd' here on this forum. It will not get you much help or sympathy. Just saying.

·
Registered
36,305 Posts
First welcome to the forum!
now in the real world you messed up-- period!
First any one buying a weapon should inspect the weapon before filing out the paper work and paying for it.
second before any work/changes are made to new weapon it should be checked for function.
third IF you or the gunsmith had read that little pamphlet (manual) that came with the gun you would have understood better the warranty.
for what ever reason it seems that Taurus does not like people coating/painting, etc thier weapons, and they don't like people including gunsmiths taking their weapons apart and messing with them, now every manufacture isn't this way, but we are talking about Taurus and they are.
so my suggestion Is to call Taurus and talk nicely to the phone person and see what they can do to correct your mistakes, oh and read the manual!
hope this helps with the problem, which could be the cera coating inside the weapon or on bearing surfaces, but then it may not be that either as you did not test the gun before the coating its hard to say now.

·
Registered
36,305 Posts
HMM? apparently Colorado gun shops (and gun Buyers) are not quite as sharp as heer in Georgy?
first IF you order a weapon online, pay for it with a credit card.
second when the weapon arrives at the FLL then insist on either you or a clerk field strip the weapon and inspect It.
if its not up to snuff then don't take it, tell the FFL to ship it back to the distributor for replacement, if they refuse leave and call your credit card company.
also find you another FFL.
in cases where there may be a flaw that isn't revealed then upon firing the weapon, then call taurus and ask for a return label.
they will have the weapon picked up , repaired and returned to you.
the problem comes into play when you decide to make changes to the factoy firearm first.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
hello mickey.gif From Northeast Florida!!

Well, I will only say, I think a lesson has been learned here with this one and should be remembered by all. .....Just do what ever it takes for Taurus to fix the problem and go from there. If you are not happy when it is returned, then 86 it and get something else that you may be happier with. If that was the only gun you had, then you may want to go ahead and get something else in the mean time, if you can. Cheer up, it will all workout.:thumb:

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So just wanted to say thank you for the help. I just wanted to see if anyone had this problem and I thought it would be a problem with extractor tension setting. Not the locking lugs? So my thoughts are if I buy a corvette and paint it or put graphics on it, it's still a corvette and should perform right out of the box. All my plastic guns work perfect except for steel ammo. Part of me wants to question the gunsmith. But he was a machinist for China lake weapons division and is agi certified. So couldn't get the answers to go with so that's why I'm here. So thank you for the advice.

·
22,300 Posts
welcome from New Mexico.JPG

I agree with you, a bad extractor tension seems more likely in a brand new gun than worn locking lugs. That's strange. Can you get us some good, sharp pictures? Take it apart, and give us the closest sharp pictures you can of the locking lugs on the barrel, the inside of the slide, and the breech face, especially the extractor.

And the answer may still be "play ball with Taurus." Personally, I cut them a bit of slack because a mishandled lifetime warranty can kill a company. Cerakoting can change tolerances if it's not done right, can't it?

They quote 6 weeks as the service time. That's just boilerplate. LOTS of people get their handguns back from Taurus in a week or two.

Reactions: daytonaredeye

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Did you clean the gun thoroughly and relube it before firing it? Most people open box, load mag, and shoot, and don't realize the gun isn't ready to be shot yet. All the crud that most Taurus guns get shipped in isn't lube, it's packing grease. It needs to be removed and the gun needs actual lube. Many times, new gun failures can be traced back to being dirty.

·
Registered
29,899 Posts
Welcome aboard from Florida the "GunShine"state.

State of "1 MILLION 150 THOUSAND" Concealed Carry Licenses and counting!

I think what some of the others were trying to say is...

Why didn't you test fire the gun for reliability issues BEFORE you had it ceracoated?

But that's a moot point now. At any rate your problem should be an easy fix. Faulty magazines and/or extractors are easily replaced.

·
Registered
36,305 Posts
MY PT1911 stainless in 38 Super came with a soft extractor, a problem that could not be detected at purchase/acceptance time.
the gun functioned perfectly for about 40 rounds, then I checked the extractor and tuned it, next range trip it functioned for about 30 rounds, checked the extractor and retuned it again, third time third range trip and again not a full box before it began to have extraction problems.
notified taurus, sent gun in, now it did take 9 weeks for me to get it back, but they did repair it and it has been perfect ever since.

Reactions: jwc007

·
Registered
30 Posts
So just wanted to say thank you for the help. I just wanted to see if anyone had this problem and I thought it would be a problem with extractor tension setting. Not the locking lugs? So my thoughts are if I buy a corvette and paint it or put graphics on it, it's still a corvette and should perform right out of the box. All my plastic guns work perfect except for steel ammo. Part of me wants to question the gunsmith. But he was a machinist for China lake weapons division and is agi certified. So couldn't get the answers to go with so that's why I'm here. So thank you for the advice.
I have the same Stainless 9mm, did the same black slide coating, and have the same problem. However my problem developed after 50+ rounds, it was failure to eject or double feed. The problem is the crappy extractor and too heavy of a recoil spring. Taurus says you should use 124 grain but that is not why i bought the gun, i bought it to shoot cheap 115 grain for fun, instead of dealing with the crappy Taurus customer service I decided to take the gun apart myself. I changed the Extractor to the Ed Brown extractor and 11lb Ed Brown spring and 70 series conversion, while it did help the problem it would still fail to eject every so often. I had a local gun smith check my extractor tension and other work I did and it came back ok. I now have Wilson Combat 10lb recoil spring that I will test soon, and have 12 lbs on standby and will try to find out the right combo to make it reliable, also remember the 1911 9mm extractor require more than "normal" tension on the extractor when compared to the 45acp 1911.

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/taurus-1911-s/132819-greetings-new-pt1911-9mm-owner-5.html

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Paint a Vette before driving it and I think GM will void their warranty too, just saying.

Paper on the wall does not necessarily make a good 1911 smith. I would still try to send it back to Taurus for repair, even if you have to pay for it. They have good quality 1911 smiths on staff and turn around time is quite good. I think if they look at it and see it is their problem and not caused by the Cerakote, they will go ahead and fix it under warranty, that is unless you have burned that bridge by being a jerk to them. At this point, it is up to them as you have voided the warranty.

PS, never modify a weapon before you make sure it is working properly, that even goes for used guns. Even if you are buying a non-working gun to build a custom gun, make sure you are starting from a known place and do not assume anything. JMHO

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Did you bother to clean it before shooting? The grease that Taurus uses in its new guns is not a lube! When mixed with burnt powder, it turns into a nightmare.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts