Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Glad I bought my PT-1911 when I did. I was at one of my favorite gunshops today and overheard the manager tell the sales staff that the new shipment of Taurus's (Taurusi?) had just come in and the new ones would be $10.00 higher than the last bunch. The good news was that they had one older gun left and were not raising the price on it. :D :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here it was about $590 for the blued. I pd $560 around the first of the year.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
local shop i visit a lot has them for 519 blue, and 599 stainless..

although at this point in time if i was gonna spend 599 on the taurus i might go for the S&W they have for 649 after 100 buck rebate.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think you'd be gaining more than the name with the S&W over the Taurus if you want a 1911 style. The Taurus has more "tuning" for the money than any 1911 out there for the bucks from what I've seen. If I get rid of mine, it would be for a DA/SA type as in the Witness or Taurus 800 or 900 series. I've shot several S&W autos and am not impressed. Just me, though, and they are an ok gun. I just don't care for them as much as many others. I would consider a S&W 29, 629, or .357 version of the model 60.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Well.. maybe.. but i hold S&W to a higher regard when it comes to quality then taurus.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Funshooter said:
I don't think you'd be gaining more than the name with the S&W over the Taurus if you want a 1911 style. The Taurus has more "tuning" for the money than any 1911 out there for the bucks from what I've seen. If I get rid of mine, it would be for a DA/SA type as in the Witness or Taurus 800 or 900 series. I've shot several S&W autos and am not impressed. Just me, though, and they are an ok gun. I just don't care for them as much as many others. I would consider a S&W 29, 629, or .357 version of the model 60.
Yeah for all the "extras" you get with the Taurus it is definitely a better deal.

VALUE OF TAURUS PT 1911 FEATURES AT RETAIL VALUE
Full length guide rod & reverse plug $35
Heinie Straight Eight Sights $150
Serrated slide rear and front $100
Checkered 30-lpi trigger guard $50
Checkered 30-lpi mainspring housing $60
Checkered 30-lpi frontstrap $150
Ambidextrous safety $125
Beavertail grip safety with memory pad $120
Skeletonized hammer $60
Skeleton serrated trigger $100
Trigger job $100
Custom fit barrel (air-gauged bushing) $100
Custom slide to frame fit $100
Polished feedramp and barrel throat $50
Lowered and flared ejection port $60
Custom internal extractor $75
Extended mag release button $35
Beveled mag well $100
Extra 8-round magazine $30
SUBTOTAL $1600
Basic Mil-Spec Model 1911 pistol $500
TOTAL $2100
NOTES: Prices are average of parts, installation, and fitting charges from five leading U.S. pistolsmiths based on a Mil-Spec basic Model 1911 pistol as the starting point.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
think maybe you grasp at straws a little bit with that price list.. not to mention overpriced..

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
the fact remains the list is a little bit like selling you a car and then saying look what a value you're getting it has radio and rear defrost.

i'd also stills stand by the cost, those prices are high, perfect example 100 bucks for a trigger?
or 30 bucks for a extra mag? uh it's standard practice to get 2 mags with semi's and 30 bucks is high.

Heinie Straight Eight Sights = 150 bucks.. this i will conceed i've never looked to buy heinie sights so perhaps this is a realalistic price.. somehow i doubt it though, personally if im gonna spend 150 bucks i want some 3dot night sights instead.

a "trigger job" so thats usually afterwards.. so taurus polishes and spends extra attention to the trigger to smooth it out? ya i doubt that taurus guns are perfectly functional but all the ones i've laid hands on including the two i own while functional are rough in areas.. their fit and finish is not the greatest.

what about the "custom" fitted barrel and slide? i assume that means the barrel and slide are carefully hand fitted?, somehow judging by the taurus guns i've seen.. this is bogus.

im not even sure wtf a "Custom internal extractor" is. what makes it custom? and why is it better?

bud's is in the business of selling guns and gun supplies obviously you wanna make it look as good as you can.

some of the more realistic things on that price list are on the S&W i was speaking of.. and since imo S&W makes a better fit & finish gun i'd rather buy the S&W for 50 bucks more.

make no mistake im not saying the taurus is a bad gun.. i've never shot one of the pt1911's so i could'nt say.. but i disagree with that price list.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
That's fine if you disagree. I'm sure the prices are MSRP with having them installed by a gunsmith. Until you've held one and shot one, I don't think you can fully appreciate it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Joe, if you take a look around other gun forums you will people having a lot of issues with S&W nowadays, I've seen more complaining about S&W's than commending them. So about that holding S&W to a higher standard, I think you might wanna re-evaluate that status. The fact is that you get more gun for your money with Taurus 1911 than from any other manufacturer, all these bells and whistles on a kimber or springfield and your past the 1500 mark easy.

Staying on track with this thread; I got my PT1911 blued for $495 brand new in the box with a holster :)

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
i do hold them to a higher standard, i would never have bought a hi-point or a taurus if i believed everything i read on a gun board.

i HAVE had problems with my taurus tracker took 3 NIB guns to find one worth shooting.. and it's still not 100%, so if you're making the argument that taurus makes a better guns then S&W you can save it. functionally nothing wrong with taurus but they do not pay attention to detail, i speak from exp that the taurus guns i've handled and own while functional are lacking when it comes to fit and finish they're a bit rougher inside and under the grips and such.

i do not like to buy blue/black guns if i can help it i go for the stainless.. in my case this means 50 bucks difference between a taurus and a s&w, im not about to run out and buy either of them as i have other guns i want more right now.. but yes i would pay the extra 50 bucks for the s&w.

perhaps i wont end up with a gun any better then taurus.. but i also dont believe im getting a 2k 1911 in a 5-600 taurus, i know their guns are cheaper but they are'nt that kind of value, i'd say you're getting about 25-30% more gun give or take then if you went with someone else.. but not 300% more.

paulrabe78 said:
So just get the S&W then.
thats what i said in the beginning. :p

·
22,058 Posts
I think your gonna find that the Taurus 1911 is on par quality wise with some of the lower priced Smith 1911's. I will concede that some of the higher priced Smith's are nicer but its more fluff on some models. The Taurus does have the out of the box extras that you will pay extra for even if its not the kind of money they say. Also one big difference is Taurus went with the proven internal extractor and Smith still has the external. Smith may have worked out the problems that some gun makers had when they went to the external extractor. I do know some makers went back to internal for reliability. I plan to get both at some point. I am going to get a PT1911 and when my money is right I am gonna get a nice Smith 1911.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
If you compare a Taurus 1911 with a Springfield Armory Loaded model they are basically the same gun. Both made in Brazil also. However the price tag on the SA is $200 more than the PT1911. (not MSRP, what you would actually pay)

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
If I had it to do over again, I would still buy the PT1911SS. The price is great and fit and finish is as good or better than most S&Ws and Colts with a much higher price tag. If I could afford it, I would get a Kimber. I think they are the best looking 1911 on the market. However for the cost I would never want to shoot the Kimber. I'm not really into collecting guns for their beauty and their value. I collect to shoot.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts