Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a PT 1911 ALR 45 auto. Went to the range today, put in the clip pulled the slide and JAM.
Got it to chamber the next round, hit exactly where i was aiming ( biggest grin on my face ). JAM. Are these pistols known for this or does it just need a little tweaking
Gusmith at the range thought barrel just needed some polishing which did help for 1 clip. Any similar experiences?

·
Registered
535 Posts
It may be the magazine. It is said to be a weak point of the Taurus 1911.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Just bought a PT 1911 ALR 45 auto. Went to the range today, put in the clip pulled the slide and JAM.
Got it to chamber the next round, hit exactly where i was aiming ( biggest grin on my face ). JAM. Are these pistols known for this or does it just need a little tweaking
Gusmith at the range thought barrel just needed some polishing which did help for 1 clip. Any similar experiences?

First off welcome to the greatest gun forum.

To help you we need your help. What ammo? Factory Magazines? What model PT1911? .45? 9mm? .38 super? New? Used?

The Taurus 1911 does come with a ramped barrel designed to feed hollow points as well as FMJ. Sometimes polishing the feed ramp with a dremel will help with feeding. As ACE35 pointed out the magazines are the weak point of any 1911, some are finicky and only like certain mags others feed with just about any mag. My PT is one of the latter, factory mags, Wilson, Chip McCormick, cheep no name mags, my Pt likes them all.

Most pistols need to be thoroughly cleaned before shooting and my PT was defiantly one of those, Taurus packs them with some pretty sticky grease.You should use the slingshot method of chambering a round instead of the slide stop, that will give the slide a little more energy to drive that round home. A break in of a couple hundred rounds can help. Sometimes it helps to only load 4 or 5 until it is running smoothly.

If after cleaning, trying other ammo and mags you still have problems you will see why it is so nice to buy a gun with a lifetime warranty!!

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Take a wood dowel or something and work those followers up and down a few dozen times per magazine. Sometimes when the spring is too stiff, the next round pushes forward a tad and creates a jam situation. Also check the lips of your mag to be sure they aren't holding the next round down inside too far, which can force the round into the bottom of the feed ramp and also jam it up.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
The problem is you used a clip and not a magazine :)

Seriously, try different ammo, clean the gun well, especially the feed ramp - a little emery cloth will de-burr it. If all else fails, it may very well be the "lips" at the top of the magazine or even the follower spring. Just some things to think about.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Oops. sorry, next time I'll read the entire thread before I provide sage advice:eek:

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Most 1911 experts, when hearing about a particular gun jamming or misfeeding, will recommend you try a QUALITY magazine. OEM magazines are generally not considered to be quality. I personally use Chip McCormack Match magzines. I have had feed problems with a couple of 1911s in the past and using one of these magazines has always cleaned up the issue. The feed ramps are made differently than most OEM mag feed ramps. Wilson Combat mags also have a great reputation.

·
Super Moderator
36,086 Posts
Reaffirm on trying other magazines to eliminate that as the issue. A word of caution (big time) on polishing the feed ramp. As it's a pre-owned firearm you don't know what may have happened to that part before you got it, but you do NOT want to change the geometry of that ramp. Polish it to a mirror finish with a metal polish like Flitz and a rag covered dowel but if you use a Dremel go very easy on it.

I began having feed issues with mine at about 5,000 rounds and replaced the recoil spring with a factory part and it fixed the issue for about 8-10 dollars with no down time. You could find a 1911 smith to check out your pistol and it may take a few days and cost you anywhere from 50-100 bucks or ship it off to Taurus for the price of the shipping and get it back in a week or two if the turn times have stayed the same as in the prior few months.

Welcome to the forum from Northern Illinois and best of luck with your PT 1911. It's a great pistol and my favorite!

·
Registered
29,765 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I think Stallard and the others have pretty much said what I would have. Good luck!

·
Registered
36,332 Posts
well of course return to Taurus is a viable option!
However on a used gun you might (or i would) check the weapon with a different magazine, surely you know someone with a 1911?
then if still having problems a light buffing on the feed ramp, if still having problems a complete new spring swap.
none of this is going to break the bank .
My 7 different 1911- 45's will run perfectly on any number of magazines in aftermarket and manufactures , when going to the range I just reach in the safe and grab a handfull, don't matter what 1911 or what magazines i got.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Keep the Mags loaded (they are magazines by the way not clips) for about 2 weeks, and the problem will go away , my first PT1911 were flawless, from day one, bought new, my second PT1911 stainless bought new 2 weeks ago had the same problem you described- yeah the Mag springs is too stiff, not allowing the round to glide off the top of the column.

Work the mag spring up and down a couple of times and keep them loaded with all 8 rounds in them. My Stainless is now flawless too.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Most 1911 experts, when hearing about a particular gun jamming or misfeeding, will recommend you try a QUALITY magazine. OEM magazines are generally not considered to be quality. I personally use Chip McCormick Match magazines. I have had feed problems with a couple of 1911s in the past and using one of these magazines has always cleaned up the issue. The feed ramps are made differently than most OEM mag feed ramps. Wilson Combat mags also have a great reputation.
What kind of mags are those with feed ramps, I've never seen one with a feed ramp.

Morris, what ever you do, do not touch the feed ramp on an aluminum frame gun, that might be the problem right there, who knows the previous owner might have changed the correct feed ramp angle by polishing an aluminum frame 1911, just let the FMJ round contour the feed ramp and it should be fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts