Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a good deal on a pt 1911 but it's a 38 super and I don't know much about that caliber or it's availability compared to 9mm and 223, is it even considered a "real" 1911 when it's not a 45?
I guess I'm just looking for info and hopefully some people that have this specific gun

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
I have a Colt 1911, and an Auto Ordinance 1911, both in .38 Super. Both are great guns.

Ammo is a great problem, you won't find it at places like WalMart, or Academy. I've ordered it online from Underwood, and other places. I also reload. Some may not consider it a "real" 1911 because it is a .38, but properly loaded, it is better for self defense than a 9mm, and it can hold more rounds than .45.

I would not want to be on the business end of it.

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Nyah, it's just a replica of a real 1911. (grin)

Whatever floats yer boat.

·
Registered
29,957 Posts
The .38 Super got it's debut during the days of Prohibition as a caliber to "penetrate car bodies".

It's also popular in many Latin American countries where "Military Calibers" (9mm. .45 ACP etc) are prohibited for civilians.

They are commercially loaded a "tad" warmer then most 9 mm ammo on the market and as has been said, can be a little difficult to find on store selves...and then at premium prices.:icon_ lala:

·
Registered
36,780 Posts
Found a good deal on a pt 1911 but it's a 38 super and I don't know much about that caliber or it's availability compared to 9mm and 223, is it even considered a "real" 1911 when it's not a 45?
I guess I'm just looking for info and hopefully some people that have this specific gun
Well the caliber is an excellent one, producing well more energy than the 9MM or the 45 acp and just barely above 40 S & W.
the actual energy generally runs in the 9 MM Plus P plus range, so its a barn burner only being over shadowed in commercially available calibers of 357 Sig sauer and 10 MM.
as for not a true 1911, well the round was designed for the 1911, being originally offered only some 16-18e years after the 1911 and 45 acp.
IT is NOT a 38 caliber by th way but a 9 MM (.355 caliber) and was pretty much developed to be able to disable cars by pentetrating the engine block, shooting through car bodies of yester year and defeat the body armor of the 20's, basically it was a gangster stopper!
The caliber was overshadowed by the introduction of the 357 magnum in revolver but before that it was "THE" caliber to have.
It is in my opinion a reloaders caliber due to the hard time of locating ammunition and the price for that ammunition, several companies produce the ammo, Aquila,Fiocchi, Remington, Winchester, Federal, and a handful of other companies!
you just are not going to find it in stock anywhere locally normally.
at the end of the day you can pretty much consider the 38 Super as a 9MM magnum.
heres a couple of my 38 Supers.
The 1911 is a Taurus in Stainless, the 38 super in the picture of 2 without the rail is a EAA Witness in 38 Super.

Attachments

Reactions: glenwolde

·
Registered
251 Posts
Thought about 38 super when I bought my PT1911 in 9MM. Bought the 9MM because I have two .357 Mag. revolvers and a .45 ACP 1911. 9MM is easy to get so that was my reasoning. Hope you enjoy your 1911.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah i have a pt911 in 9mm and was hesitant to get the 38 super but my local shop does stock 38 super ammo so i'm excited

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
Sine the cartridge was originally chambered in the 1911, yeah, it's a "real" 1911. Great cartridge, but it really is a reloader's cartridge. Factory ammo is available, but it's hard to find and expensive.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They also aren't your run of the mill polymer or plain handguns, the gold accents combined with being a 1911 makes it my favorite by far..can't wait for them to come in and have them in my hands

·
Registered
36,780 Posts
you can occasionally find online suppliers that have Aquila or Fiocchi 38 Super ammo and thats the best prices on whats out there to my knowledge,actually most all my 38 Super brass came from Fiocchi 38 super ammo.
If I remember both Aquila and Fiocchi is about the only factory ammo thats not listed as plus P, but honestly it is almost identical to the listed Plus p being only about 100 FPS slower.
as the plus P listing is a safe guard against people using "ANY" 38 Super ammo in older weapons chambered in 38 Auto (26,500 PSI) as that round/weapon is much , much weaker than the 38 Super.
the plus p notation was addded as a safe guard, its the same pressure ammo as early on in its development at 36,500 PSI.- about 35% higher pressure than the 38 Auto.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Being a 38 super Nut, I want to say the 38 super is the round I prefer.
I feed it in my S&W 1911, my Kimber 1911, my RAI 1911, and then in both of my S&W model 60-14 357's and lastly my S&W 686 4".
The 686 groups 3 inches off hand at 50 ' .
I just picked up 1500 Aguila rounds for $600.
Got my Rossi 357 lever action hex Saturday and hope to mod it to feed and eject the 38 super too.
For me there is none other than the 38 super!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Colt 1929 cataloge.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I'm getting this odd feeling of déjà vu?! RossiLover - 38 Super is a 9mm bullet -are you aware? The round is very popular in competition shooting where a major power factor (do the Google) is desired. 9mm was banned then not in this arena. The 38 super has a higher powder volume capacity making this goal generally easier.

Many factory loads come in +P loads with the power factor in mind and do ( by nature of design ) easily exceed the energy of 9mm. 40s&W does not have a +P designstion as it is a high pressure load by design. I will say that I personally load HD/SD rounds with care (155, 165gr) that do safely exceed the muzzle energy of 38 Super +P factory loads. Both are great rounds for multiple purposes when properly loaded.

At club level events ( where ammo is not measured or factored in scoring) I generally shoot soft ( just over 125 PF) 147 gr 9mm with good results. When major PF is required I opt for soft 40 rather than hot 38 super. I do not shoot open classes or have a compensator. I hope this blather serves as an intro to the thinking of the match/game. There are many challenges and finding the edge and what works for you is a great part of being in it!!

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I recently bought this fine specimen of a Taurus PT1911AR in .38 Super, and am very pleased to report that it shoots and performs like a "real" 1911 pistol! :D

Attachments

Reactions: stickem2

·
Registered
17 Posts
Re: Mingaa's comment:
{Many factory loads come in +P loads with the power factor in mind and do ( by nature of design ) easily exceed the energy of 9mm. 40s&W does not have a +P designstion as it is a high pressure load by design. I will say that I personally load HD/SD rounds with care (155, 165gr) that do safely exceed the muzzle energy of 38 Super +P factory loads. Both are great rounds for multiple purposes when properly loaded.}
Mingaa if you do your homework you will find that the 38 super is .002" inch smaller than the 38-357. It is not tapered like the 9mm. It has a factory pressure of 36,000 psi which is just under the 357 and can meet the 357 in some instances.
I have put hundreds of rounds down range in my S&W 357's. The only trick is to make sure the ejector on the cylinder will eject the shell. Then because the 38 super is shorter than the standard 357, I treat it like it was a wad cutter and l clean my cylinders after each range visit.
To each his own!

·
Registered
36,780 Posts
First perhaps there is a misunderstanding here of the caliber/cartridge, perhaps its me, perhaps not!
First case capacity isn't the thing, its USABLE case capacity!
the 38 super has a usable case capacity of 1.00 CC, the 357 magnum has a usable case capacity of 1.36 CC ,so the 357 magnum has approximately 35% more usable case capacity than the 38 Super.
one must compare near like scenarios to get a true idea of what the rounds compare like.
In this case except for diameter, it can be done as both cartridges are high pressure rounds and of near the same diameter, thye can also be tested in near same barrel lengths.
with a 130 grain Jacketed projectile a good speed for a 357 magnum with a 6 inch barrel is about 1550 FPS, the same weight projectile in a 38 super generally produces about 1350 FPS, so a true 200 FPS difference in favor of the 357 mag, compute that into energy and you will find that it s a good bit of difference.
Now there are both higher velocity and lower velocity reading depending on whats pushing them.
peopel can make comparisons that are lopsided all day long oto make a point, such as the 357 sig sauer is as powerful as the 357 mag, or the 10 Mm is as powerful as the 41 magnum, but it really depends if you are comparing apples to apples.
In my estimation there is just no way that the 38 Super can compare in shear energy(power) or flat shooting ability of the 357 magnum, now yea the 38 super holds more rounds, may be more accurate,will defintely smoke the old 45 acp, and it has a lot less recoil but thats about where the advantages end in my mind.
I say all this with the 38 super being one of my favorite calibers, but lets get real here, the 357 magnum is a bear of a cartridge, if you want a bigger bear then get a 41 mag or 44 mg.
IN the big scheme of things the factory 38 super is just a smidge ahead of the 40 caliber in like weight projectiles, if you got a comp gun then its well above the 40, but then thats another thing all together if you start getting into custom designs etc.
Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
15,146 Posts
To the OP's question about Ammo. Check my posting on your 38 super magazines thread.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts