Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to get oversize grips for my new 1911, preferably with finger grooves. Has anyone had any luck doing this w/ their PT 1911's ??

·
Registered
111 Posts
The Hohues are probably the best bet for finger grooves, I like the VZ320's which are on my avatar pic and posted in the gallery they look a little pink in the pics but they are more red/black in real life and provide a very good grip without being coarse on the hands like sandpaper.

·
Administrator
17,913 Posts
I recomend and use a Pearce Grip Insert on my 1911 (Colt). The nice thing is that they seem to fit under just about any grip you might like to have over it. They are available from Ajax Custom Grips, very reasonably.

http://www.ajaxgrips.com/ajax/pearce?set=08

Edit Note Update: Ajax Custom Grips are no longer in business, but the Pearce Grip inserts may be ordered directly from Pearce Grip.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanx for the comments.......I'll get to work on it !!

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Another idea for increasing traction for the front strap is just a piece of skateboard tape. Think a real aggressive sandpaper texture. I got a piece big enough for a skateboard for $10 a couple of years ago. I'm guessing that the adhesive will wear out before I get it all used. And if you don't like it, its easily removable. I got mine from a local shop that builds and repairs skateboards (said sporting goods shop also sell guns).

Steelheart

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the Hogue wraparound rubber grips for 1911 and they work great, no problems with the ambi-safety either. I really like them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanx Hanzo......what an awesome site !! (It's sure to cost me a few bucks !!)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also use stair tread tape that I got at hardware store, cut to size with backing on, degrease well and rubber band it well overnight. You can probably buy a lifetime supply for $10.

I ordered a nice set from Raasco grips. They make grips special for PT 1911 and make grip to frame fit better, also fit ambi-safety, they are a good price range and are quality grips. Look at write-up on web site,

If I can get attachment feature to work here's a picture of what I have on order this week for my black PT 1911.

Bob

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts