Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum.
Has Taurus corrected the extractor problems, that I had read so much about?
Are currant models void of this?

One other question if anyone knows.
Does Taurus set the the sights at the factory before shippment?

Thanks in advance,
Gary

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
from the Florida Keys! :wave:

My PT1911 was made March 2011, I have had no problems at all with it easily have over 1500 rounds fired.

My sights were right on with no adjustment needed.

Hope this helps, stick around a while you will find many people have problem free Taurus guns.

Reactions: odie28

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
My first PT1911, bought over a year ago, broke the extractor at about 125 rounds. I replaced the extractor with a Wilson Combat piece and have over 1000 rounds on it. I don't know when that gun was made, never bothered to check. I bought another PT1911 about 2 months ago and it has 400-500 reliable rounds throught it.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Welcome aboard from Miami, I think that what you speak of, were some of the models that were released in 2011 which had weak extractor hooks that were not contured corectly, but I have not heard of any of the newer or older models having weak extractor hook, my PT1911 has a little over 20K round with the same extractor it was shipped with, but then again I also contured the bottom front of the hook (F) with a radius to avoid any excesive stress on my hook when the case tilts up on its way to the chamber, I believe that most extractor hook break during the feeding faze and not the extracting faze as most assume, any way I think that if you purshase one of the new models you should be fine, as far as the sight I can't imagine Taurus subbing out any of the assembling of there sight to a second party, good luck

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun

·
Registered
36,780 Posts
New to the forum.
Has Taurus corrected the extractor problems, that I had read so much about?
Are currant models void of this?
One other question if anyone knows.
Does Taurus set the the sights at the factory before shippment?
Thanks in advance,
Gary
I am actually not at all familiar with any Pt1911 Extractor problems, they did have a soft batch a while back in a few guns (what Cuban mentioned) but that was not an ongoing issue.
the PT1911 extractor is just like any 1911 internal extractor, they can go in 1 round our last 1000's of rounds, all mine seem to be lasting 1000's of rounds, not just taurus 1911 either but several manufactures.
as for sights, no reason to set sights on a pistol except for windage!
as long as you know the height of the front sight and the height of the rear sight (which can be figured mathmatically) then theres not much guessing as to what to put on the gun.
now shooter error is a totally different matter.
welcome to the forum as well.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
LOL, I don't know why people want to call the extractor a PT-1911 problem. The extractor is and has always been a 1911 problem. And make no mistake, the PT-1911 is an excellent example of a 1911.

So if you haven't heard this before (search is your friend), here it is one more time.....1911 extractors are like light bulbs. They can break early or they may last thousands of rounds. It does not matter if they are made by elves out of unobtainium, as long as they adhere to the original John Browning design, they will be like light bulbs. You can "tune" them, buff and polish them, but they are still light bulbs. So really, rather than spend a bunch of money on a "magic" one, buy 2 cheap ones so you have a backup.

And don't forget Rule #1 of the 1911: There are no drop in parts for the 1911, even the grips. Oh you may find a part that drops in without needing to be fit, but I guarantee that was by accident and not design. There are just too many variances between 1911s, even within the same make and model. An extractor is not hard to fit, if you feel you can do the job. But the part does need to be fit. The one thing about a 1911 is that a good 1911 smith can make a great 1911 out of cheap parts, but a 1911 just assembled out of the best parts on earth will rarely even function. How good a 1911 can be is determined by how well the 1911 smith knows his trade. The better the 1911 smith the better the 1911.

One last thing before I get off the soap box, dropping a round in the barrel and releasing the slide on it is a guaranteed way to break an extractor pretty quick.

Reactions: RichO and odie28

·
Registered
36,780 Posts
One last thing before I get off the soap box, dropping a round in the barrel and releasing the slide on it is a guaranteed way to break an extractor pretty quick.
Well now that you are off the soapbox, my turn!!
and dropping the slide with an empty chamber is a very good way to destroy a good sear /hammer fit, if you got a 1911 with a crappy trigger you can likley get away with it, the better the trigger the worse letting the slide fly forward to a sudden stop on a empty chamber the quicker the good trigger job may disappear.
OK, I am off the soapbox too!

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Well now that you are off the soapbox, my turn!!
and dropping the slide with an empty chamber is a very good way to destroy a good sear /hammer fit, if you got a 1911 with a crappy trigger you can likley get away with it, the better the trigger the worse letting the slide fly forward to a sudden stop on a empty chamber the quicker the good trigger job may disappear.
OK, I am off the soapbox too!
Now see that's exactly why I hang out with you guys. I did not know that one. Fortunately I don't do it but good to know to continue that practice! Thank you again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts