Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day -

I've got a Taurus PT1911 in 9mm with a ramped barrel. I'd like to turn it into a .38 Super. Actually I'll be going with a rimless .38 Super, but for the purposes of this discussion, we can just consider the regular .38 Super.

Several things must either be changed (or adjusted) to do this - extractor, recoil spring, magazines, etc. But the barrel is what has the project stopped. I believe the original Taurus in .38 Super had a non-ramped barrel. Since my 9mm has a ramped barrel, I obviously can't use the Taurus factory .38 barrel.

So an aftermarket barrel will be required. Has anyone done this ... and if so, which barrel did you use?

Thanks,
dogfood

·
Registered
36,765 Posts
Nope I just buy the entire gun as in the 1911 design I don't care for the 9 MM anyway. but anyhow--I don't really know IF the frame would work with the difference in the ramp VS non ramp barrel or not?
recoil spring would be determined on what power ammo that you were going to fire, many use the same weight spring regardless?
a 9 MM Plus P has about the same operating pressure as the 38 Super (37.500 VS 38,500) if I remember right.
as for the extractor--well I don't under stand a change for that?
pretty sure they are the same?
magazines of course would not work as 9 MM mags are actually 38 Super mags but have that filler part in them to move the 9 MM forward in the mag, so to short for the 38 Super ammo.
let us know how it works out for you.
you know that you can get a pretty evenly equipted (to the PT1911) Citadel 38 Super for about 500 bucks or so?

Attachments

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,237 Posts
I am in the process at the moment. I think I got a good deal on a Sig 38 Super barrel, $75.00, and am having a gun smith make the install.

Reactions: muddcatt54

·
Registered
15,137 Posts
Going from 9mm to 38 super isn't going to work like you want it to. you'd be better going from 45 ACP to 38 super. If you're planning on the 9-38 super conversion, do what William is doing and have a 1911 smith do the actual work.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
I don't get the nay-saying.

A 9mm to .38 Super conversion is pretty straight forward. Swapping from .45 not NOT be easier. 9mm and .38 Super are pretty close in rim diameters and thicknesses, so less adjustments have to be made to the extractor. Swapping a .45 would be a 'wrong, do over' sort of venture.

Fit (read 'have a gun smith do it' if you aren't able to do it yourself) the barrel, swap mags and tweak the extractor as necessary. If it looks like you need to change recoil springs, then put in an order with Brownell's. Ramped aftermarket barrels are available. If push comes to shove and you can't find one, then call Bar-Sto or one of the other barrel makers and they can make you one.

Personally, I'd use a different slide, but that's just me. That way, you are ADDING options rather than just changing to what's basically a boutique round.

·
Registered
36,765 Posts
I gotta agree with the others, you're better off just buying one then trying to convert what you have now. You'll run into less issues and it would probably cost more to properly do the conversion anyway.
EXACTLY my point as well.
I mean unless you just want to do it to say well I did that?
its like buying a G I Model 1911 at 100 bucks less than a Improved model, then spending 400 bucks on installing different sights, different trigger/ hammer and a beavertail and extended slide stop and thumb safety.
cheaper to buy what you want.
and IF you have to pay someone else to do it then that kind of takes you out of the well I did this-- just saying.
one can accomplish just about anything if one is willing to spend enough money to do it.
but do you want to end up with a Taurus PT1911 that's the cost of a STI in 38 Super?

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
The 38 Super is a superior round to the 9mm regarding performance. However it is not as popular and a different configured round than the 9mm. Conversion kits on some pistols are close to or equal to the price of a new pistol.

·
Registered
36,765 Posts
speaking of which--many--many years ago in a galaxy far, far away!
Springfield Armory had a 1911 that was the Omega --if i remember right that was a conversion of a 9 MM, 38 Super and 10 MM .
had a combination of different barrels, magazines and springs--looked kind of like the Old Dan Wesson Pistol pacs.
I have seen exactly one of them ever (it was used)-- the things were outragously priced and made by a German Company the best that i recall-- and my recaller is very old and faulty.
I love the 38 Super but then I reload and the caliber produces very respectable power just a tad ahead of the 40 S & W.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
It's a shame that virtually no mainstream firearms manufacturers aside from Colt offer 1911s chambered in .38 Super anymore, thus necessitating consumers to either spend extra money to convert an existing 1911 to .38 Super or purchase an entry level 1911 from a foreign manufacturer who actually offers 1911s in .38 Super, which is usually to get around some nonsensical law regarding civilian ownership of NATO/Milspec firearms/ammunition.
Unfortunately, if you're like me and lack of a Stainless Steel option is a deal-breaker, then you're SOL because apparently Stainless Steel is Unobtainium outside of the US, especially among low-end manufacturers/distributors like Rock Island Armory, Metro Arms, Citidel, etc. (No, Nickel/Chrome-plating is not an acceptable alternative considering that it's the durability/corrosion-resistance of Stainless Steel as well as the appearance which appeals to me, ergo a plated finish which can wear away doesn't cut it.)

Personally, as much as I like .38 Super as a cartridge, it's availability (or lack thereof) both in terms of the ammunition itself and firearms which are chambered in it has forced me to compromise, so now I'm just going to get a 1911 in .45 ACP, maybe 10mm Auto if its apparent resurgence in popularity continues to climb to the point of it becoming mainstream in terms of availability.

·
Registered
36,765 Posts
Yep, one of the reasons that I jumped on this when CDNN was closing them out.
plus the price was unbelievable!
Rock unfortunately only makes a G I version of the 1911 in 38 super as well, which is why I went with Citadel and have been extremely happy with that weapon as well.
In MY opinion right now the best stainless 1911 in 45 or 10 MM is the Ruger SR1911, and for me in the 10 MM I would opt for the target model that's only a few bucks more and has the target sights.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Yep, the SR1911 Target Models were precisely what I had in mind. Now I just need to save up the necessary funds to buy one and hopefully make up my mind in the meantime on whether to get one in .45 ACP or 10mm.

Is it possible to easily convert an SR1911 in 10mm to .45 ACP or vice-versa? If it's as easy a dropping in a barrel and swapping out magazines either way, then I won't worry too much, but considering that the 10mm uses a ramped barrel whereas the .45 ACP does not probably makes it more difficult, huh?

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
Not all 9mm magazines have the filler in the back of the magazine. My Colt mags have them, my Springfield mags don't.

·
Registered
36,765 Posts
Yep, the SR1911 Target Models were precisely what I had in mind. Now I just need to save up the necessary funds to buy one and hopefully make up my mind in the meantime on whether to get one in .45 ACP or 10mm.

Is it possible to easily convert an SR1911 in 10mm to .45 ACP or vice-versa? If it's as easy a dropping in a barrel and swapping out magazines either way, then I won't worry too much, but considering that the 10mm uses a ramped barrel whereas the .45 ACP does not probably makes it more difficult, huh?

I honestly do not know!
I have 1911 in 38 Super, 10 MM and 45 acp but never tried to convert one to another caliber.
from what I have read the 40/10 MM seems to eb just the right size however to use the same mags usually and I would think the internal parts (extractor/ejector etc) would be alright to use .
Now the 9 mm/ 38 Super to 45 there appears to be to much difference in size of such parts to use the same ones.
again this is just from what I have read and mistakenly taking a 45 mag with a 38 or 10 MM caliber pistol to the range.
the 10 MM ammo works the 38 super squirts out the top of the mag.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Not to be an ass but, I like dedicated guns.

I don’t want to swap AR uppers/lowers OR pistol caliber barrels.

IF you have a problem — or two, tracking that down can be a pain. Work it out with one configuration okay. Then swap for new feed issues etc. Not for me.

Then there is the memory thing, like, mags, ammo etc.

My rifles, especially have a distinctive look that I know immediately and if they take a specific mag (loaded 6.8 vs .223 or 300) the mags are boldly marked.

Pistols - I have a nice assortment and do not want to add a new caliber with just a barrel — but that’s me, eh?! :cool:

·
Registered
36,765 Posts
Yea its really sad when you have the 38 Super and 10 MM mags marked on the bottom that faces you when you pick them up and still carry the wrong mag to the range with you!---
ever walk into a range and ask-- OK so do you guys have an extra 1911 38 Super mag that I could borrow???
yea thats the same look they gave me that you are making right now!
I finally just started leaving an empty mag in each 1911 , that way at least I have one correct mag in the pistol when I get to the range.

Attachments

·
Registered
36,765 Posts
Not all 9mm magazines have the filler in the back of the magazine. My Colt mags have them, my Springfield mags don't.
are these 1911 mags that you speak of?

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
are these 1911 mags that you speak of?
Correct. I have a Springfield 1911 Stainless Loaded Target and the stock mags don't have the spacer. From my experience with that gun they aren't needed. It feeds everything from stumpy 95 gr .380 bullets to 150 gr SWC .38 spl bullets out of either style of mag.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I played with the idea for awhile but decided to get a whole pistol and I'd have one if I could find one that wasn't on backorder CITADEL seems like a good value and Olfarhors has had good experience with them I just can't find one the ones I've found that fits my budget have straight G I sights Novak will mill the slide and sell you some sights that may be the way to go but I would rather not

Reactions: mingaa
1 - 20 of 25 Posts