Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:) i own a few taurus guns and pretty happy with them

but i do ?....
the pt 145... as you all must know..... the pt 145 ftf and jams.... i had that happen 1 time at the range cause you had to use there ammo and my buddy took his glock and had the same problem

its the ranges ammo.....

iam just scared that in a stress-full!!! time the gun wont work....

should i keep or should i stay?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Does your range buy discount ammo, or "seconds"? If you gun is clean and working properly, the commercially available factory loaded ammo such as WWB, American Eagle, and most common brands should work fine in the PT145. Are they pushing off reloads on you? Sounds like they're trying to make a buck on some sub-standard junk. I'd find a different range if they insist on making you buy their ammo.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does your range buy discount ammo,

yes 2nd i clean my gun

1. time a week
even when i dont shoot...... and i also needed can you really trust the pt145 with your life?

·
32,658 Posts
These guys are right on the money PT145. At the local ranges here it is not unknown for the shop to do their own reloading of generic ammo and require at times for customers to use it when renting a gun. They also out source to local reloaders. Just a couple, but the result is the same. Lowest bidder, lowest ingredients used in the recipe. The powders burn dirty for the most part and have had FTF or FTE trouble occasionally. Quality grade commercial ammo has been the answer to these problems. Got tired of scrubbing an ordinate amount of time when using the local stuff. It is hard to find a commercial product in centerfire ammo that is bad despite the negative gun forum hype lately to the contrary. There are some small commerecial concerns that produce remanufactured ammo that have quality control problems. For practice I use WWB and SilverBear ammo. The Russian stuff works as advertised, is cheaper, and their cases while steel. are nickel coated and have never caused scraping or dings inside the chamber from being hard. Extraction has been consistent. So either American or foreign ammo can be had at low prices compared to regular ammo. Depends who has the best price at the time.

·
Registered
126 Posts
At 1300 trouble free rounds I trust my PT145 completely. I generally don't trust any gun until at least 400 reliable rounds.

Most of mine has been Blazer Brass ammo, very happy with it for cheap stuff.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Yes, I trust my PT145 absolutely. Never a failure of any kind.

Todd

·
Registered
9 Posts
I WILL TRUST MY PT145 AFTER ATLEAST 400 ROUNDS AS WELL. STILL HAVENT HAD ANY HICCUPS AFTER CLOSE TO 200 ROUNDS.

·
Registered
131 Posts
My PT145SS I trust with my life (in the summer). :D
Never any failures, about 800 rounds through it.

BUT.. I've noticed a LOT of people been having the magdrop and ftf problems with theirs including my buddy,
who's brand new PT145 has been doing it from day one. It is for the SECOND time at Taurus, for 2months now and they
haven't even looked at it.

I won't be buying any more taurus guns until they fix the problems or get off their lazy azzes and get to customers' guns.
Waiting 2-3 months for a gun for the SECOND time to me is unacceptable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just an old guy putting his 2 bits in. Rule # 1; If you didn't load it, don't shoot it, unless it is comercially loaded ammo. Rule # 2; See rule # 1. Do you get my drift? Practice, practice, practice and then practice some more! If you are going to trust your life and/or the ones you love on your equipment and training, then you need 110% confidence in your self and your equipment! Any range that required me to buy their ammo would see me doing an about face and out the door I went!! Find someplace else to shoot, get into reloading and roll your own if cost is an issue. A caution here, if you reload, you won't save any money, but you'll shoot more for the same amount.
Ralph

·
Registered
132 Posts
Ralph Allen said:
........... A caution here, if you reload, you won't save any money, but you'll shoot more for the same amount.
Ralph
I respectfully disagree.....you can save if you shoot the same amount. Remember, when comparing then you must compare using a constant factor to get an accurate results. In other words, X is the amount of ammo that you shoot thus the constant factor.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have had about 1700 rounds thru my PT145pro and not a single issue. Variouse winchester and fmj ammo. Some federal and independence and remington thrown in for good measure. I carry this gun on a regular basis and am not concerned if it will fire or not. I know it will work.

As for FTF and the such my girlfriend the first time she fired it got a few and I figured out it was how she was holding it. Because of where the mag release switch is if you dont hold it right the first ropund fired will cause you to release the mag and it will drop just enough about 1/16" and cause a ftf or whatever you wanna call it. Its not a problem with the way I hold my gun and its never happened to me but I wouldnt want her carrying the gun allthough she loves to shoot it.

As far as the range making you use there ammo for your own gun screw that. I have scene them say you gotta use there ammo if you rent a gun which is understandable but not in your own gun.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
I have found that the 185 gr loads, like Taurus manufactures, works better in these little guns. Why give up on a good gun without trying other ammo. Every gun has preferences for both function and accuracy.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I shoot,usually blazer $9.50 box at the wallmart (pt145) but when your carrying go with the good stuff I use Federal 23o JHP muzzel velocity 850 as per Tauris recomendiction for non high velocity

·
Registered
108 Posts
Trust my life with it? hmm, how quickly could I throw the thing at them? Mine was either a Wednesday or Friday gun. Malfunctioned from day one(auto rack of the slide and mags took a gravity check).

Maybe by mid 2008 I'll have it back.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts