Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
OK. Just a little nervous. I picked up my PT145 yesterday. Beautiful gun. Took it home and cleaned it up a bit; but not a full cleaning yet. My concern is that when I cock the slide back and lock it, I have to put a lot of pressure on the slide release lever to release the slide. On my PT 111 I just have to apply a little pressure and the slide quickly goes back in place and I'm ready to fire.

Is this something that can remedied with a good cleaning and lubricating or do you think it may be a mechanical issue?

Administrator
It's possible a good cleaning and lubing might help, and it may wear in with use. I'd try that first, as it's the easiest, and costs you virtually nothing.

Premium Member
I do not want to insult you since it you have experience with your 111, but my 145 is tight on an empty mag and I have to pull the slide back a little to release the pressure enough to lower the lock. JAT

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
I do not want to insult you since it you have experience with your 111, but my 145 is tight on an empty mag and I have to pull the slide back a little to release the pressure enough to lower the lock. JAT

Trust me.....Insult me all you like....I am very new to all of this gun stuff....I am here to learn!!! Thanks.

Registered
I was thinking the same thing. My TCP is almost impossible to release empty without pulling the slide back slightly

Registered
New semiauto guns are stiff.

New semiauto guns with short barrels are even "stiffer".

New semiatuo guns of "service caliber" with "short barrels" are the "stiffest". ;)

Registered
I have had my 145 for close to 2 1/2 years. When I first got it, it was stiff, but now everything is like butter.

Registered
I agree with what as said earlier, when I got my pt145 thought the release was really tough, either eject the mag or have it loaded and it released with ease...

Registered
I agree with the others, I think your pistol is just new and tight...take to the range a few times and things will get better:)

Registered
I don't have the same pistol, but My 24/7 OSS 45 was really stiff like that when I first got it. A good cleaning and some manual slide work (movement) has done wonders for it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks All!!! I appreciate all of your comments.

Registered
Try putting some gun oil between the release and the frame and on the inside of it where the mag hold open is at. Mine got easier to move once I oiled it real well. Just soak a q-tip with oil and dab around the release and work it up and down to get the oil spread out real well.

Registered
That sounds normal on a new gun, everything is a bit tight. I don't use the slide stop to release the slide, I always use the sling shot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts