Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It had good, bad and UGLY happenings!

The very first installment of the magazine resulted in an "auto rack". The second the mag went in, it racked the slide by itself :skep: Fired nicely until a few more "auto racks" happened again.

Time for some hollow points... Again, racked itself, then fired two rounds. I'm aiming DEAD center of the target, the bullets begin going VERY low and to the left. Sure enough, pull the trigger, CLICK. The magazine is falling down!

OK: try the other magazine. Two shots in, same thing. This time, the magazine fell completely out!!

:mad: really is too bad because I shot VERY well with the gun.

My friend mrnuke7571 has the IDENTICAL pistol and has never had any issues AT ALL. Fired his today a few times and was simply scratching my head.

In any case, that was out of the way early, I had a fun time with my sig 239 9mm, sig mosquito .22 and my beloved makarov.

Hopefully this'll get straightened out because I honestly LOVE how comfortable the pistol feels in my hand and how it fires.

Just wanted to post a range report.

Jay

·
32,614 Posts
Several possibilites.

Was gun cleaned and lubed prior to shooting at the range? Was the magazine totally seated properly all the way in? And were bases of the mags given a light smack with the palm of the hand to seat the cartridges. Or do you have a weak magazine catch in the pistol that is weak? Are there metal burrs causing problems on the mag or the inner workings of the gun?

Let's take these in order.

Magazines and the gun can acculate grit,grime, and dust. Guns are test fired at the factory for fit and function. Too much lube to stave off rust when the gun is stored in warehouses or the gunshop can also cause impediments. Taurus has been famous in that department. This will gum up the inner functions. Including the firing pin channel which will need a thorough cleaning out. Thus the thorough cleaning overall. Then lubing contact points where needed and as perscribed in the manual

Loaded mags may need some assistance into the gun form the operator. Use the palm of the hand and give a sharp rap to the magazine bottom after inserting a loaded mag into the pistol. That should seat the mag completely and a perceptable click should be heard while doing this. This may be needed for evey time. I do this in competition just about every time. Fully loaded mags are heavy and thus need more hel to go in and lock than empty ones.

Each loaded mag should be given a sharp smack with the palm of the hand when finished laoding cartridges. This aligns,stacks, and assures all the cartridges ar facing where they should be.

Magazine springs can be weak and malfunction. Need replacing. Yes, it is a new gun and a headache.

Other possibilities have to do with inspecting the inner workings of the pistol and looking for the mentioned burrs.

Magazines are known to have weak springs or need to be taken apart and cleaned.
In the first case magazines will need replacing unless you can get mag springs form Taurus.
Dirt and grime need to be cleaned out of magazines just like for the rest of the pistol for good functioning. These can be taken apart as per instructions in the manual. Intstructions for taking them apart are also in the manual.

There you have it. There may be other reasons, but those are the most frequent things to look for and act on.

Ammo type can be the last consideration. Semi-autos are known to finicky about ammo diets. Bullet length,shape, and other factors play into this. Try different types of ammo than what you have know. With all things mechanical, breaking in takes time,patience, and experimenting for the first few hundred rounds.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I was there with Jay yesterday at the range.

First mag he put it, the slide released by itself ???
Afterwards it was dropping mags after a few rounds. ???

I noticed on his PT145 the mags had some heavy scraping where the plastic follower hits the slide-lock piece.
Mine does not have any of this.

His magazine release button is also VERY hard to release the mags. It has to be pushed way deeper than mine.

I took his gun apart and it felt like there was some sort of 'friction' or scraping between the slide and frame when assembled,
but that could have been due to the ammo he was firing. I've never seen a gun get that dirty after a few magazines only.

I feel bad for him as mine has never had one ounce of problems in 380 rounds now, and of course, poor guy goes out and gets the same gun and it
is problematic. I think something is up with that gun though. Maybe some extra casting flash, or poorly adjusted parts, who knows.

I told hi mto take it back to the store and have them get him a new one. It's only a few days old.

ps. My mags gave problems in his gun too.

ps2. My PT111 did the auto release of the slide by itself a few times when brand new, but has not done it since.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The other day when I brought my PT145 home, the first thing I did was take it down and give it a good cleaning, and boy did it need it. There was so much grease and goop in there I was astonished that they don't tell you to immediately clean it after purchase to begin with. After all the goop was removed and I lightly oiled all parts that move together when firing, I went to range and have had zero problems thus far. Even after only 80rnds the first day, I took it down and it was pretty dirty. My suggestion is to be meticulous and clean/lightly oil after every use to rule out that as a possible problem area.

·
Registered
135 Posts
When I first took my PT145 to the range, I had to hard slap both magazines in every time. When I say hard slap, I mean like how you slap the bolt on an MP5. I noticed after about 200rds (I put 300 down it), that I both magazines took far less force to insert into the pistol. Upon coming home and breaking everything down for a clean (I always clean mags and everything), the a very noticeable amount of plastic had been scraped off the plastic follower on both of my magazines. I'm not sure if this could be a reason as to why your mags keep dropping, but I figured it would be good to share. The only failure I've had with this gun was when I shot it sideways like a gangsta...and it failed to feed the very next round, just like I thought it would.

and damn those heinie sights....seriously.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
JZ06 and MrNuke7571, did you try the mags in the other guys gun? Since JZ's gun is having trouble it would be a way to eliminate some possible issues. For example, if JZ's gun acts the same with MrNuke's mags then I'd suspect the gun. If Mr Nuke's gun acts like JZ's with JZ's mags then it is likely a mag issue. If swapping mags causes both guns to malfunction, then I'd suggest the gun and mags get a vacation in Miami.

Steelheart

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep...

We tried nuke's mag in my gun. Nuke forgot his second mag so we only had the chance to try one magazine from a different gun.

The shop owner where I purchased the gun will receive a call on Tuesday. I'll keep you posted.

·
32,614 Posts
Taurus PT 111 Millenium Mecgar Gun Magazine
Regular price: $28.00
Sale price: $19.95
www.gunclips.net has these mags. Mec-gar makes quality magazines. These cost one half of what the factory mags cost.

Sounds like replacement of some of your mags is in order. Calling the factory would get you replacements, but with these you are back in action while Taurus sends you new replacements.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Taurus is going to take care of it.

I'll keep you posted on how things go when it returns. Hopefully Nuke's PT-145 is telepathically talking to my gun telling it to knock that crap off and fire well :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just got back from range, and totalling 300rnds w/o a problem! I think I have my POI down, now. I have to have front sight just slightly to the right and above level with the rear sight. I also have to cover impact sight totally with front sight. It's kinda strange, but I guess I'll get used to it. At 12.5yrds I was in the 9/10 ring most of the time using the above specs. Can't ask for much better then that, eh?

·
32,614 Posts
Different brands of ammo and bullet weights have different POI. General rule of thumb. Heavier bullets hit high. Light ones hit low. Side to side dispersion can shift as well for each type,brand, or weight.There are of course exceptions to this.

For example, in my model 66 revolver most 158 gr. bullets, whether magnum or .38 Special, hit the target at practically the same POI.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well, for the record, bullets fired today were WWB 230gr FMJ. POA was covering POI. I found this odd, like the sights are sitting too high on the gun.

·
32,614 Posts
A number of the defense gunwriters suggest that bullets weighing from 185gr.-200gr. be used in the short barreled models. Lower or changes POI,less felt recoil, and usually slightly better velocity depending on the brand.Also less reliability issues.

Massed produced guns by any maker or brand model do have zeroing issues. This is even true for similar models or makes. Changes in zero for individual models from the same batch are a common phenomena. Especially with fixed sighted guns.

So it is common to have to learn where the POI at different ranges with ammo type. Then learn where one has to place the sights for center of target hits. Then place the sights inthe same place time after time, even if adjustments need to be made and the same hold used every time.

Dead on target with what appears to be dead center hold may not be possible.

This all has been true since the first guns were used in history.

As much as manufaturers try to get POI to a perfect point there are no guarantees that it can be done. Just something that one may have to live with.

Military pistols are notorius for the sights having to be aimed at something other than dead center on the bullseye to even hit it.Granted, these are not military pistols,but the same sighting in problems are similar to civilian models.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've learned that if I aim for the heart with my PT145, I'll be hitting center mass. Which really isn't that bad. Here soon I'm gonna try out the Wilson night sights and see if that is an improvement.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am of the belief that this gun is not a range gun, and was never meant to be. That being said, I only expect to be comfortable with the weapon at around 10yrds or less. That is, I want to put the POI within 3inches of POA at that distance or less. I am comfortable with where I have it at the moment, and can't complain about accuracy or any feeding issue, thankfully.
For me, this weapon is a CCW piece, and am quite happy with it. Up close and defensive in nature. I have something else to grab for things that go bump in the night, namely a Remington 12ga.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I gave Taurus a call today. The customer service rep(She sounded H O T) told me it's there and pre-logged. BUT: it'd take 5-6 weeks before it was even looked at/returned.

Funny, last month...My Sig P239 had some problems with the roll pin. It took two tries(at Sig's expense) but it was returned to me in the same week and has been DEAD reliable since.

I guess everyone does things a bit differently. :(

I hope to GOD it is 100% when it returns.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Actually the PT145 is one of the most accurate CCW guns made. From a rest you can get sub 2" groups at 25yards. Not bad for a 3" barrel carry piece.

I hope someone made a mistake when they told ya 5-6 weeks Jay. I'd be furious about that on a brand new friggin gun.

·
32,614 Posts
We just happen to have a onboard factory rep, Richard From Taurus International, in the Member Introduction board right know. Just got here recently. Why not ask him about this there since he is taking queries.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks!!!

Will do.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts