Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm a future Taurus owner looking for opinions on the Millenium Pro as a ccw. I plan on having a semi auto and a revolver split duties and carry weapons and unless I hear more bad things they will both be Taurus.

Administrator
I carry one, and I think you will find a number of others here that do as well. For me it's been the perfect concealed carry firearm.

Registered
I carry one as well. Couldn't find all the features that I wanted in any other gun. For concealed carry I opted for the stainless slide over the blued, less chance of body sweat corroding the slide. Conceals well and plenty of ammo in such a small gun.

Registered
A PT145 is in my car with me at all times...even though I carry other firearms on my person.

+1 on choosing stainless

Registered
I put a mine through the ringer this past weekend and I was impressed. I love my little PT140

Registered
+2 on stainless.

My PT145 is with me quite often.

Registered
I carry the PT145 daily.

Registered
PT145 is my CCW piece, too. Small package, stainless, 10+1 45 ACP, less than 2 lbs fully loaded, SA/DA, a safety, super accurate, totally reliable (after the break in period) and a lifetime warranty. All that for $349 made it my top pick and I feel like it was a bargain at that price.

Registered
VegasGuy said:
PT145 is my CCW piece, too. Small package, stainless, 10+1 45 ACP, less than 2 lbs fully loaded, SA/DA, a safety, super accurate, totally reliable (after the break in period) and a lifetime warranty. All that for $349 made it my top pick and I feel like it was a bargain at that price.
I agree...all that and price just make it a great package.

Registered
I bought my PT145 Pro specifically to conceal carry. Small gun, big caliber. It fits me well. I have been loving it. However, I am having a recoil spring problem already and this has me a bit disappointed. I am having to ship my recoil spring back to Taurus because it keeps slipping through the front of the slide. That shouldn't happen on a gun with less than 200 rounds through it. It appears that the hole in the slide was machined just a hair too large for the spring or vice-versa. This has happened to others also so I believe it is a known problem with some 3rd gen PT145 Pros. I'm bummed about that. Other than that, I haven't had any problems thus far.

Registered
I carry one too.

Registered
I just had the same problem as firemax with my 3rd gen PT-111. The spring came out the front on the first magazine ever fired through it. I sent the whole gun to the factory and have put a little over 200 rounds through it since with no problems other than one FTF and I believe that was due to a bad case. The original problem was also due to ammo and I don't think it was the gun. I used some ammo of a doubtful origin that I thought was good, but was evidently loaded way hot. I do trust the gun enough to carry it daily, but usually have my revolver back up.

Registered
Could one of you PT-145 owners give me an idea of the recoil with this gun? How would it compare to, say the PT-111 or a PT-140 or even a .357 snubbie? I don't know anyone around here that has one I could shoot and the range doesn't rent Taurus. I've never shot a compact .45, but have been thinking about one for walks because I'm not convinced my PT-111 would be that great if confronted with a loose Pitbull or larger dog, if needed.

Administrator
Well, I have a PT111 and a PT145. The recoil is noticeably more with the .45, but really not bad. I find it very manageable. In fact I'm so used to the two that I had to think about it before posting. If you have shot the PT140 and like it, you won't be bothered with recoil of the PT145. :thumb:

Registered
Funshooter said:
Could one of you PT-145 owners give me an idea of the recoil with this gun? How would it compare to, say the PT-111 or a PT-140 or even a .357 snubbie? I don't know anyone around here that has one I could shoot and the range doesn't rent Taurus. I've never shot a compact .45, but have been thinking about one for walks because I'm not convinced my PT-111 would be that great if confronted with a loose Pitbull or larger dog, if needed.
I own both. The PT145 had a deffinate increase in recoil (I'd estimate 20% greater than the PT111). I don't have, nor have I ever fired the PT140, but I have a PT940. The 940 is a heavier gun, so the perceived recoil is totally different.

I've got .38 snubbies, but have never fired a .357 snub. I would put the PT145 only slightly less unpleasant than the .38 snub with +Ps. It's very controllable and reasonably easy to reaquire sight picture with.

I have average to largish hands and am an auto mechanic by trade, so I have a fairly strong grip to begin with... I don't think any man of average hand and arm strength would regret owning, or shy away from practicing with, the PT145.

Registered
Haven't fired the PT111 but I have fired the PT140. The PT145 is actually pretty similar in recoil as the PT140 in my opinion. And after 499 rounds in the span of about 2 1/2 hours, I trust this gun handsdown in a tight situation.

Premium Member
Funshooter said:
I'm not convinced my PT-111 would be that great if confronted with a loose Pitbull or larger dog, if needed.
IMHO, if you have it loaded with JHP, 124gr, or some other PD round any dog you can hit is not gonna be major problem. If you miss, you still got 11 more round to try again. Seriously, we have coyotes here on the farm, and I would not be afraid to confront one with my PT111. Recoil wise, I have a 357 snubby, but I have only shot 38's out of thus far. If you can handle the PT111, the snubby should be fine. I can actually shoot a closer pattern with a snubby than the PT111.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts