Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never ran across this problem with any gun before and was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem with their pt 145 millennium pro. ( double action )
The barrel is crooked. I first noticed it after I bought this pistol brand new and took it to the range and the thing shot 10" to the right at 7 yrds. I was upset that the sights were not adjustable but then I realized something had to be wrong because the sights were lined up correctly with the slide. I also noticed that every 20 rnds or so the front pin that holds the slide rails to the polymer frame would work its way out.

I field stripped it and couldn't find anything wrong but I noticed that the barrel had wear marks on the right side of the front barrel where it locks to the slide. It did not have any wear marks on the left side. So I held the barrel up to a straight edge and could plainly see that the barrel appears to be bent off to the right. Further inspecting the barrel I noticed that the chamber is very thin on the bottom side and that part of the chamber mouth along the ramp is unsupported.

I am very glad the crooked barrel did not over pressure the case resulting in a infamous glocky style kB blowing the gun apart.... The gun did not jam or fail to fire when I shot it however I did notice the primers had a odd oblong shaped dent in them. Anyway has anyone else ran across crooked barrels in their 145's before?

Here are some pictures of the barrel from the top and bottom.

Obviously this thing has to go back to Taurus. I have called Taurus only to be put on hold for 45+ minutes... Im going to have my dealer send it back for repair and with the long delays I keep reading about I seriously doubt that I will be buying any more Taurus handguns.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Very little surprises me any more. Sorry to see that though.

·
Administrator
40,861 Posts
Never saw anything like that before. Hope Taurus doesn't keep it too long. :eek:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Taurus WILL keep it too long, but it will be fixed. It seems to me Taurus should just skip the middle man (us), and ship every gun from the factory straight to Florida for some QC and some TLC before being released for sale.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just a few questions; How many rounds have been fired through the gun? What kind of ammo has been used in the gun? How often was the gun cleaned? Don't take my question wrong, I'm just curious. Thanks!

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
As is obvious things do get thru QC. I know I had one that should have been caught on my first PT111 too. Defective ramp that had been plated with an obvious defect, and the sights were off by much, front was to the left and rear was to the right. When I saw the ramp defect, I returned it instantly, and it was a total replacement item. Dealer replaced it not Taurus.
You can see it in the gallery at, http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=311

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a few questions; How many rounds have been fired through the gun? What kind of ammo has been used in the gun? How often was the gun cleaned? Don't take my question wrong, I'm just curious. Thanks!
Total round count about 60 rnds. ( I bought it brand new)
I remember going through one box of ammo and going through one more mag before I realized that something had to be wrong.

I was using Winchester 185 fmj and the gun was only cleaned once and that was at the range right before I shot it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Robby said:
As is obvious things do get thru QC. I know I had one that should have been caught on my first PT111 too. Defective ramp that had been plated with an obvious defect, and the sights were off by much, front was to the left and rear was to the right. When I saw the ramp defect, I returned it instantly, and it was a total replacement item. Dealer replaced it not Taurus.
You can see it in the gallery at, http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=311
i have a scratch on the exact same spot on my ramp. How much do the barrels cost for a pt145 pro? Can you get these from anywhere else other than the factory?

·
15,931 Posts
nitinsharma1000 said:
i have a scratch on the exact same spot on my ramp. How much do the barrels cost for a pt145 pro? Can you get these from anywhere else other than the factory?
That was not a scratch, it was a gouge out of the ramp before it was plated. If you got a scratch it might be fixable. Barrels are part of the action of the Mil Pro line serialized, so replacement must be done at the factory, or by replacing the whole gun.

I have a minor scratch farther to the outside of the ramp on my 2nd PT111, and that one has operated like a champ. Now If I could just learn to get the shots up about 4 to 5 inches, I would be very happy.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a minor scratch farther to the outside of the ramp on my 2nd PT111, and that one has operated like a champ. Now If I could just learn to get the shots up about 4 to 5 inches, I would be very happy.
What distance does it shoot 4 to 5" low at? You might check to be sure the barrel is straight. The sad thing is Im not jokeing ! :eek:

·
15,931 Posts
dbsoundguy said:
How did that get out the door, I have never seen that before either
Yeah, that PT145, and my first PT111, I am still amazed that someone assembling a firearm could not notice those obvious things. Of course, I do not know the amount of training of assemblers that takes place, and what the skill level requirements are. And we will not even talk about what they are paid in Brazil for doing those jobs.

Of course we all like to be able to buy a firearm, for a reasonable price, "note I did not and will not say they are cheap". But even turning out massive quantities someone should be noticing the obvious problems, bent barrels, huge chunks out of the feed ramps, and other things that I have read about.

I still may complain about the 2nd PT111 feed ramp problem, but I want to look at another one in a gun shop before I do. Davidson's should fix or replace it if I read my warranty right. Maybe that would fix my point of impact problems.

Could it be that it is not me that is shooting low. I kind of wondered, that after getting a 2" 357, that I shoot just above the centerline of targets with most rounds, and a 6" Judge, and a 22LR that I come close to the center of most targets. "I am far from being a great shot, but my other three guns sure hit closer to POA"

·
Registered
153 Posts
Robby said:
Could it be that it is not me that is shooting low.
I dunno. I just bought a new PT145 Pro. I shot 50 rounds and I was shooting low and to the left. I considered the gun might be sighted off, but then, I am not a gun pro, just a casual shooter. My buddy in Florida who shoots competition told me that the shorter guns such as the PT145Pro are more difficult to shoot accurately and he told me to take it out again before I start changing the sites, etc.

But, heh, after reading this I will check the barrel. I have already cleaned the weapon once and everything looked fine, but I did not look to see if the barrel was bent.

·
15,931 Posts
I bought the Handall Jr from Hogue at a local gun shop, it seems to tighten up my grip, and put my hand higher automatically. Thinking about it, before I had to concentrate on getting my hand up on the back of the grip.

The only difference seems to be the positive rest for my middle finger, tight to the guard, and raising the web of my hand higher and tighter.

Now if the weather stays nice enough, so I can use my outdoors range area, I will try a few rounds to see if it had the desired effect firing.

Got the Idea from another post here on the site.

·
Registered
7 Posts
that is a crazy looking barrel. But defenitely for those having problems, shoot it off a rest before tossing it. mine shoots great off a rest, high even and centered. but off hand, very hard to shoot. just ordered a houge, that should help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts