Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a PT-145 (SN NXC01XXX) purchased used which I sent back to the factory to resolve the magazine drop and light strike issue. They replaced the firing pin spring and did something which seems to have resolved the magazine drop problem.

After that I put several hundred rounds through it, and the light strike issue has returned. Thinking it might have been ammo, I tried several commercial brands as well as reloads. The problem was getting to where it was every 10-20 rounds.

The rounds which don't fire have a shallow dimple, somewhat off center. Those which do fire have a much deeper, teardrop shaped dent which I assume is caused by the fired case being dragged sideways across the firing pin as it is being ejected.

Reading here I found some older references to excess oil or crud in the firing pin channel causing the problem. I had never gone that far into the piece before, but removed it and inspected. The channel was oily, so I cleaned that out and used a dental pick to scrape out any bits near the front. Didn't find anything in there. The front of the pin appears to be nicely rounded, not flat.

Left it essentially dry and back to the range. Same problem.

I see some references to removing and polishing the firing pin block, which is probably my next step, but I don't know why it would start being a problem after several hundred rounds.

Has anyone done any work on the firing pin itself? I'm wondering about cutting some shallow slots the length of the pin to reduce the friction and give oil a place to go. Perhaps put more of a slope on the front of the pin where it rides over the firing pin block.

It appears that Taurus won't sell the firing pin separately so I would hate to bugger it up, but I'm also not able to trust the piece now. I love the size, and it shoots accurately for me so I would prefer to not go to a different weapon.

Any new thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
40,613 Posts
Take a cotton swab and run it through the firing pin channel and examine it for any places the cotton was pulled away, you may have developed a burr or rough spot. I would also concentrate on lightly polishing the channel before modifying the firing pin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
116 Posts
...purchased used...
This might be the problem. I acquired a PT 24/7 in 45 ACP and found the firing pin was too short causing light strikes. At some time in the gun's history, the firing pin was apparently replaced with one that was just too short. The dust cap was missing suggesting that someone was fooling with the firing pin. I verified the firing pin was too short by inserting my PT 145's pin and the gun fired perfectly. I got lucky and found a replacement firing pin and she has worked ever since.

Here's a link to a discussion on PT 24/7 light strikes (see posts #33-39):

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/2...ht-primer-strikes-24-7-pro-4.html#post2290473

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I removed the firing pin this morning and used a cotton swab to check the cylinder for rough spots. The spot where the firing pin block comes into the cylinder is noticeable, but nothing else. Then I tried depressing the fp block and dropping the firing pin while I held the slide vertically. No apparent hesitations, and the firing pin appears to protrude a good distance.
Of course under spring pressure the firing pin will behave differently, but other than potential roughness near the FP block I can't find any issues.

Vulcan - your fp measurements are interesting. The pin from my PT-145 has a rounded end, not flat, but otherwise seems to be about the same dimensions as the 24/7 fp you show, ~ 48.6 mm. The firing pin protrusion appears to be ~10.6 mm, and as I said it does seem to protrude quite a bit when dropped by hand.

When you got the 24/7 firing pin from Numrich, what were the dimensions? I see they are selling them for the 24/7 but couldn't find one for the PT-145.

It wouldn't be safe to keep it that way, but I wonder if removing the FP block and test firing would tell me anything?

·
Registered
116 Posts
If the protrusion length is ~10.6 mm, it should be long enough to impact the primer causing detonation, if not, then it looks like the spring force is the issue.

These are my measured values:

OLD PT 24/7 firing pin OAL = 48.38 mm; protrusion = 10.32 mm (did not work).
NEW PT 24/7 firing pin OAL = 48.55 mm; protrusion = 10.6 mm (works).
PT 145 spare firing pin OAL = 48.53 mm; protrusion = 10.44 mm (works in PT 145).

Knowing the PT 145 firing pin is the same as the PT 24/7, I acquired (used, GunBroker) slide assembly for the PT 145 which included the barrel/spring, firing pin/spring. Numrich was posting no firing pins in stock so I spent the money for the PT 145 as a spare for not only my PT 145 but also the PT 24/7. I have test fired the PT 145 slide and it worked OK, so I have no reason to believe that its firing pin won't work in the PT 24/7 too.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
I had a pt145 and several times it failed to fire because of brass scrap in the firing pin channel. I lost all faith in the gun and traded it off for a Bersa compact .45, problem solved.

Bersa Thunder .45 - 002.jpg

·
Registered
36,669 Posts
Just curious what ammo that you have tried?
get some Remington , its suppose to have softer primers.
See If that makes a difference.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Having spotted this post it got me thinking. I'd sent my PT145 back 4 times with light-strike issues. It never got fixed. I was about to write it off when I decided to take it apart and look for myself. Similar to that described above the firing pin channel and springs were completely clogged with old, hardened grease. I got it cleaned out, lubricated with a light gun oil and reassembled. At first it seemed fine but then then light strike issue came back. It's been setting in the safe for some months but on seeing this I pulled it out and took it apart again. I found the light lubricant I'd used now had the consistency of heavy gear oil and I could see evidence of grease collected on the firing pin spring. While I thought I'd done a through job the first time I was obviously mistaken. This time it got a really through treatment. Hopefully this will put an end to the light strike issue for good.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Keep us informed on the light strike. I as toting my PT 24/7 Pro (45 ACP) all day yesterday with complete confidence that it would perform when/if asked to do so.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The PT145 went to the range today with 100 rounds being put through it. During the course of fire there were four rounds that did not ignite on first strike but did on the second. Here's the odd bit. On all the rounds examined that were 1st try successes there was, for want of a better term, a skid mark where the firing pin first contacted the primer then moved toward the center as it continued penetrating deeper. With the first try failure, no skid mark and a rather light indentation. I can only theorize the reason is something, perhaps roughness, in the body of the firing pin, the firing pin channel or the spring system that's the cause.

The ammunition was from two different batches of handloads. The case length was set at .893" which seems to be the minimum. Since there was a problem in only 4% of the test batch it suggests the case length was not the issue.

All things considered I think I'll just wait for the appeal process to conclude then send the pistol in for a trade. I'll have to go through an FFL so it will cost me a bit but that seems acceptable if I can get a working, reliable firearm out of it.

·
Registered
36,669 Posts
The primer SWIPE is not unusual in many striker fired pistols.
also depending on the shape of the striker end you may end up with any variety of primer marks , not the usual round dot in the center.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Having spotted this post it got me thinking. I'd sent my PT145 back 4 times with light-strike issues. It never got fixed. I was about to write it off when I decided to take it apart and look for myself. Similar to that described above the firing pin channel and springs were completely clogged with old, hardened grease. I got it cleaned out, lubricated with a light gun oil and reassembled. At first it seemed fine but then then light strike issue came back. It's been setting in the safe for some months but on seeing this I pulled it out and took it apart again. I found the light lubricant I'd used now had the consistency of heavy gear oil and I could see evidence of grease collected on the firing pin spring. While I thought I'd done a through job the first time I was obviously mistaken. This time it got a really through treatment. Hopefully this will put an end to the light strike issue for good.
I was thinking the consensus of this forum was that any oil in the firing pin area was a no no for this very reason. I run my PT-140 firing pin clean and dry and have no problems with any buildup of any sort.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I could try that. It'd only take a minute or two to get it completely cleaned out.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Firing pin or channel has a burr I worked mine with mothers and 1000 grit sand paper

·
Registered
116 Posts
So, what's the latest on these light strikes?

I had a pt145 and several times it failed to fire because of brass scrap in the firing pin channel. I lost all faith in the gun and traded it off for a Bersa compact .45, problem solved.
Off topic but I always wanted to get my hands on one of these Bersa 45's. I had the UC in 9mm then added the 40 S&W barrel so it became a two caliber gun. The UC is a very well done piece but I found the trigger pull was too long for my comfort. I stumbled across a Browning BDA 380 in nickle at a LGS and decided to trade the UC in for the BDA. No regrets over that trade but still would like to try the UC in 45 ACP.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts