Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My PT-145 has had a variety of problems,and now the slide sometimes does not close all of the way. I can push the slide closed with my thumb and it will fire ok. I fired it 20 times and had to help the slide close about 6 times.
I decided to give it a good cleaning and when I disassembled it I found it has a lot of metal shavings inside. It has only been fired about 250 times and has been cleaned a couple of times. My friend told me to leave the metal in it and return the gun to Taurus for repair.
What is the opinion of the group? Is it normal for these to make metal? If so,how much?
If I didn't love this damn thing I would sell it. I have to get this fixed!

·
Registered
138 Posts
No, never found shavings in mine. Many, many thousands of rounds through mine.

·
Administrator
39,928 Posts
I found some in my PT145 when I first got it. They were around the end of the recoil spring above the trigger guard. I think it was just in the process of seating itself. 1300+ rounds later I no longer find any shavings. ;)

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
One of the problems I had with My PT111 was the slide not closing. I sent it back to Taurus to fix that, among other things. They did adjust the slide, that solved the problem. I suggest you send it to Taurus and be prepared to wait 6 to 8 weeks for it's return. The wait is worth it!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replys! I got some great info from High Power Bob about lubrication and decided to give it a try before returning. After a good cleaning and lubricating the moving parts with oil--not the aerosol type I had used before but heavier oil. I shot 50 rounds through it yesterday with NO problems and don't see any more metal shavings. I now believe that these guns need real lubrication in the right areas. I am going to find some quality grease to try that should stay on better.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Smokewagon said:
I found some in my PT145 when I first got it. They were around the end of the recoil spring above the trigger guard. I think it was just in the process of seating itself. 1300+ rounds later I no longer find any shavings. ;)
Same here. Roughly 500rounds into it, it stopped and seated itself.

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
These things MUST be oiled well. I would advise against grease, but a good gun oil would be something to consider.

I like the Lucas Gun Oil. I get mine from Napa.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Well, I know I have the little brother, PT111 and have never seen the first sign of any shavings. But I do proably almost over oil the slide area. If I do not have to wipe off a little excess (very little) after cleaning and working in the slide I wonder if I have enough.

If I do not shoot that week, I usually will apply a little fresh with a Q-tip before I shoot to critical area's..

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yup, my PT111 did not have this issue either. Seems to be the larger caliber series only. Wonder if the PT140 has it or not.

Oiling that area has nothing to do with the shavings. It is just plainly braking the parts in and seating them correctly that does it.

I would not worry about it unless you start seeing quite a bit of it or larger slivers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
when i stripped my trigger group i found a pile of shavings on both side of the group, but just on the outside. cleaned it up with some brake cleaner and oiled it before reassembly. no function issues before or since.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts