Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is what I got out of my PT 145 yesterday and Norinco 1911 for comparison(for reloads only). All test were done with 10 shoots.

Fiocchi XTP 230 grain factory. PT 145.

HI 791.1 FPS
LO 749.1 FPS
AVG 770.6 FPS
ES 42.79
SD 12.80

This loads kicks good on the PT 145 and had the first ever mag drop with nose up. Mag did not fell from gun. I think my thumb hit the release as I was squezing Taurus juice with my grip. Adjusted my grip and no problems.

My reloads: 185 grain JHP Precision Delta. Mix brass.

PT 145
Powder W231- 6.1/6.2 grains.
Tula primers

HI 847.7 FPS
LO 773.1 FPS
AVG 806.2 FPS
ES 74.61
SD 20.24

Norinco 1911
Tula primers

HI 965.2 FPS
LO 897.2 FPS
AVG 931.3 FPS
ES 67.97
SD 21.77

My reloads: 185 grain JHP Hornady XTP. Nickel brass.

PT 145
Feferal primers

HI 800.2 FPS
LO 693.7 FPS
AVG 738.2 FPS
ES 106.5
SD 29.51

Norinco 1911
Federal primers

HI 922.4 FPS
LO 845.3 FPS
AVG 870.1 FPS
ES 77.17
SD 27.44

·
Administrator
35,310 Posts
I like the 185 grain Hornady bullet. And gettting 945 fps from a 45 caliber projectile isn't bad at all. Maybe a 200 grain hollowpoint would be the best of both worlds......

Reactions: jwc007

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Hey Juanace - glad your getting some use out of the chrono, and thanks for the numbers. How's that remote switch working for you?

I like the 185 grain Hornady bullet. And gettting 945 fps from a 45 caliber projectile isn't bad at all. Maybe a 200 grain hollowpoint would be the best of both worlds......
My chrono pegs 200 grain speer gold dot +P's at an average 906 fps. They do well in the denim/water jug test, and they run about $30 for a box of fifty. That's what I carry in mine.

·
Administrator
17,824 Posts
Nice Test Results, Jaunace! Load Development in two different handguns with very different Barrel lengths gives you a lot of perspective on load performance. The .45 ACP is VERY barrel length dependent for velocity!

Maybe a 200 grain hollowpoint would be the best of both worlds......
Although I shoot plenty of 230 and 185 grain Bullets in the .45 ACP, the 200 grain Bullet is perfect for the .45 ACP and the original Bullet Weight John M. Browning recommended for the .45 ACP Cartridge. The US Cavalry wanted a heavier Bullet, so the heaviest John M Browning would go was 230 grains. MY IPSC Match loads typically use 200 grain Bullets.

My chrono pegs 200 grain speer gold dot +P's at an average 906 fps. They do well in the denim/water jug test, and they run about $30 for a box of fifty. That's what I carry in mine.
Interesting! I'm getting 850 fps from the non +P version in my full size .45 Witness (4.5 inch Barrel). I like the Gold Dot Series a lot! Will have to see if I can scrounge up that +P load.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Nice Test Results, Jaunace! Load Development in two different handguns with very different Barrel lengths gives you a lot of perspective on load performance. The .45 ACP is VERY barrel length dependent for velocity!

Although I shoot plenty of 230 and 185 grain Bullets in the .45 ACP, the 200 grain Bullet is perfect for the .45 ACP and the original Bullet Weight John M. Browning recommended for the .45 ACP Cartridge. The US Cavalry wanted a heavier Bullet, so the heaviest John M Browning would go was 230 grains. MY IPSC Match loads typically use 200 grain Bullets.

Interesting! I'm getting 850 fps from the non +P version in my full size .45 Witness (4.5 inch Barrel). I like the Gold Dot Series a lot! Will have to see if I can scrounge up that +P load.
I should have mentioned - that's 906 fps out of my PT145. The manual has them at 1080 from a 5" barrel, and IIRC they were doing around 1050 from my Para 5".

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dbeardslee
My chrony remote works fine. No problems. The only thing I am having problems with is clearing the data so I can work with my next 10shoot string. I did what the manual says, but I guess I am doing somethimg wrong or not correctly, so I have to wait for the range to go cold and reset it with the on/off switch to clear the old data. Guys it is fun to work with the chrony for info on your own reloads and such, but takes time to record everything on paper. There is a printer in the future? I dont think so.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
My chrony remote works fine. No problems. The only thing I am having problems with is clearing the data so I can work with my next 10shoot string. I did what the manual says, but I guess I am doing somethimg wrong or not correctly, so I have to wait for the range to go cold and reset it with the on/off switch to clear the old data.
Mine acts the same way - I have to turn it off after each string to reset it. I'm tempted to buy one of their remote switches just to see how it's wired, but when I originally DIYed mine I tried it with the wires in about every conceivable position I could, and it only worked with it wired one way. I wouldn't be surprised if the factory units do the same thing.

·
Administrator
17,824 Posts
I should have mentioned - that's 906 fps out of my PT145. The manual has them at 1080 from a 5" barrel, and IIRC they were doing around 1050 from my Para 5".
1050 fps is really moving for a 200 grain Bullet!!! Sweet! :cool:

I think I'm going to have to re-test my standard pressure version as well as test the +P version to see what I get out of my .45's. Stopped by an LGS today but no Gold Dots in any caliber.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
1050 fps is really moving for a 200 grain Bullet!!! Sweet! :cool:

I think I'm going to have to re-test my standard pressure version as well as test the +P version to see what I get out of my .45's. Stopped by an LGS today but no Gold Dots in any caliber.
I always get them from ammunition to go. The price has gone up on them, though. It's now $39.95 for a box of fifty.

Here's an interesting video of the gold dots. Personally I think shooting bullets into open water is stupid and tells you little if anything about how the round will perform. I did, however, note how high they make the water splash compared to other rounds this guy has shot into his big bucket. I think the 'kool aid test' probably tells you more...

That video shows you basically the maximum expansion you'll ever see for this round. For a more realistic measurement, here's a pic of one fired from my PT145 that went through four layers of denim, and four milk jugs full of water. It actually poked a hole in the fifth jug, but bounced back into the fourth.

·
Registered
62 Posts
FWIW, I went with a 185gr XTP load out of the Hornady manual, their hottest Bullseye load (I think it was around 7gr.)
5-shot average was 915fps, I think that will do. :)

·
Registered
29,905 Posts
If my arithmetic is right, when comparing juanace's 3.5" PT145 to his 5" Norinco, he's getting about 86 FPS for @ .5" of barrel added.

Not bad when the generally accepted parameters are 35-50 FPS @ inch of barrel added.

Congrats on some great loads!
;)

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
i like like the 200 gr. XTP as my self defense load. i load them myself,so much cheaper and affordable to practice with.

·
Administrator
17,824 Posts
i like like the 200 gr. XTP as my self defense load. i load them myself,so much cheaper and affordable to practice with.
You can also purchase CCI/Speer Gold Dot Bullets as components, if you can find them. Midway has had some if you can order online.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts