Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am pleased with the lightning fast turn around with the repair, but not happy at all with the outcome. I sent it in after they sent me 3 wrong guide rod assemblies. They assured me the new one needed fitting, and would be back fast and correct. Well that's not the case, in fact it looks the same as before I sent it to them. Notice in the pics that the guide rod sticks out, and in the side by side pic the difference in the thickness of the rear where it contacts the barrel. I used the guide rod from my fathers 145 to show what the guide rod originally looked like. I called them asap, and they tried to say they fitted the new guide in and it is correct but this looks nothing like it originally did. Don't get me wrong I am in no way bashing Taurus. I loved this gun up until this happened, but now I think it might be time to trade her in.

The one on the right is the new guide rod that came back on the 145 today.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
They took into account for growing room.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm curious. What was the original problem that required a new guide rod? Also, does it now function reliably?

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm curious. What was the original problem that required a new guide rod? Also, does it now function reliably?
Originally the guide spring assembly sprung apart on a range trip. And no it does not function reliably. The slide feels freakishly loose, and I just took her out to my buddies house to fire a few mags. J-A-M-O-M-A-T-I-C. In the 2 1/2 years I have had the PT-145, I never had a problem at all, now it jams every other round. Almost as if the spring is to weak.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I'd take a look on the inside and make sure the flat metal end is sitting in the pocket correctly. When you disassemble it looks like the recoil spring sits against the barrel, but it actually sits against the frame when it's installed. Take a look in the pocket and make sure there isn't any foreign material keeping it from fully seating. You might also take the recoil spring assembly and insert it into the pocket and see if it's catching anywhere. About the only other thing that could be causing it would be a barrel lug that was too long, but I kind of doubt that. It appears to be the right spring - at least it looks like the one that's in mine. What's the overall length of the spring assembly?

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Just for grins I measured the barrel lug on mine. I used a caliper and measured the distance from the bottom of the ramp to the front of the lug, and I get a measurement of .858". If somehow that lug was too long it would indeed cause the rod to stick out a bit, and the lockup would be very loose. I can't imagine it being the problem, but who knows. JAT

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
If you don't have a caliper, here's another way to measure the lug. If I put a ruler in line with the barrel, the distance from the end of the lug to the end of the barrel is almost exactly 2 and 3/8ths inches.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure of the overall length, it is at the gun shop now. They even said it was never fitted. The smith there is going to take a little off on the end of the guide rod assembly for the lug, he said he wouldn't even charge a fee since I buy everything from them. It was in correctly, just to long. They compared it to the other one I had taken from my fathers 145, and one off a new 145 they had in the case. I'm going to pick it back up tonight.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Not sure of the overall length, it is at the gun shop now. They even said it was never fitted. The smith there is going to take a little off on the end of the guide rod assembly for the lug, he said he wouldn't even charge a fee since I buy everything from them. It was in correctly, just to long. They compared it to the other one I had taken from my fathers 145, and one off a new 145 they had in the case. I'm going to pick it back up tonight.
The rod being a bit too long would make it stick out the end, but it should still lockup properly as there would be spring tension holding everything in place. If however the barrel lug is too long it could affect the lockup and cause it to feel loose as you wouldn't have spring tension holding the slide in place. I'm sure a gunsmith can figure it out, though. JAT

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The rod being a bit too long would make it stick out the end, but it should still lockup properly as there would be spring tension holding everything in place. If however the barrel lug is too long it could affect the lockup and cause it to feel loose as you wouldn't have spring tension holding the slide in place. I'm sure a gunsmith can figure it out, though. JAT
I just got home from the GS, he said rather than fit anything he just took one off a new PT-145 he had in the case. He said the spring on the gr they sent back with the gun did not have enough tension. Only cost $5 for the new assembly, which I was happy to pay to have it fixed properly. He said he doesn't know why it even made it passed QC that way. He said unless they changed the specs on the mil-pro they must have a bad batch of guide rod assemblies. We took it back into a stall and popped off 100 rnds without a single hiccup. So happy to have it back inside the waistband again ;)

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you don't have a caliper, here's another way to measure the lug. If I put a ruler in line with the barrel, the distance from the end of the lug to the end of the barrel is almost exactly 2 and 3/8ths inches.
That's what I got. Thanks

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I'm glad to read the positive report.

You and that PT145 have been a "team" for way too long to break up now. :cool:

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Good to hear the positive outcome, happy you can carry the old girl again.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I'm glad your local shop put 2+2 together, saved you allot of aggravation of going through the logistics gamut again or having to dump the gun.

"He said he doesn't know why it even made it passed QC that way."

No comment necessary.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Glad it worked out!

Weak spring tension makes sense. The rod on my sr9c sticks out a bit like that, and i was concerned with it. Over 500 rounds / Under 1k and not one issue. Ruger has even said it was normal but i had the same feeling about it that you did.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to respond about the original problem. Glad to hear you got it fixed without another trip to Miami.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for taking the time to respond about the original problem. Glad to hear you got it fixed without another trip to Miami.
It was a big relief not having to send it back. The gunsmith said he has had quite a few times where customers have sent there guns back to Taurus for repair, and they came back worse off then before they left. I'm just glad that a gunsmith that could actually fix it the right way was available to do the just properly. After seeing the post from BigSkiff, and Airwrench's trip to Miami, I was not concerned about sending the 145 in for the repair. But in the future I think I feel a lot safer taking it to a qualified smith here in town.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts