Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I recently purchased a PT 145 on Friday and took it to the range on Saturday. I put a couple of boxes of tula rounds through it and I experienced 3 FTF out of 100 rounds. What is the normal break in period that you used for your 145? and what kind of ammo?

I look forward to hearing from you.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I noticed in you signature block that you also have a PT140. Did you have any "break in" issues with it?

The reason I ask is because I have a PT138 and a PT111, and neither of them needed a break in. They both shot flawlessly out of the box.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I've run 200 rds out of my 24/7 Pro CDS and I consider in broken in. 2 things you should do before going back to the range is take the slide, barrel assembly off the frame and give it a good hosing with some Birchwood/Casey Gunscrubber and dry with rags. Be careful of what you use on the polymer frame, read all instructions on your cleaning and lubing products. Next get some good gun oil and lubricate thoroughly, then wipe away excess. Take apart your magazines and clean them inside with gunscrubber and dry, then lubricate all mag parts with a silicone spray lube. I use Sellier & Bellot ammo and have never had a problem with it.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
It might of been ammo Tula is alright but cheap. You got some great advice try it and maybe switch up ammo. Personally i never considered a gun broke in until i get 500 trouble free rounds through it. Maybe not so much broke in but reliable.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Mine did not need a break-in. Got almost 1500 rds through it now with absolutely no malfunction. First 200 rounds were Wolf 230, as I recall. Dirty stuff but the little 145 eats 'em all.

Stick with it. Should be your most reliable with any ammo.

·
Premium Member
2,162 Posts
I agree with Sparks, try a different ammo. I have never had an issue of any kind with my PT-145. I personally have never fired Tula through any of my weapons. But have known a few people who have tried it with no luck. Some Squibs, ftf's, and fte's.

·
Super Moderator
38,683 Posts
I bought mine used so I have no idea of the round count before it came to my house. It'll take any brand of FMJ and all of my reloads expect for the 185 gr plated SWC that I made up. While my PT 1911 loves them, the PT 145 chokes on every 5th/6th round.

I will get the occasional FTF when I get tired and am not keeping a good enough grip on the hand cannon. The PT 145 will not forgive a limp wrist readily.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have over 800+ through mine with only one FTF. A friend was shooting my PT-145 loaded with Tula ammo. I think it was a limp wrist that caused the FTF because the same FTF happened to him with a Glock 19. I, myself, have never had a FTF or FTE.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Milpro,

I bought my 140 used, so I'm not sure if any rounds were put through it. As for my 145, it was new out of the box.

I noticed in you signature block that you also have a PT140. Did you have any "break in" issues with it?

The reason I ask is because I have a PT138 and a PT111, and neither of them needed a break in. They both shot flawlessly out of the box.

·
Registered
29,964 Posts
Break In? :unsure:

Generally speaking, the rule of thumb with any semi-auto is 200-300 rounds.

Personally, I don't feel warm-n-fuzzy about any self defense gun till it's gone 500 rounds without a burp.

Some folks baulk at this round count, and in today's lousy economy it's entirely understandable.

BUT...ask yourself,
"How much is my life & the lives of my family worth?"
500 rounds of hardball is lot cheaper than a hospital stay or funeral. :r_c:

So far all my PT Millennium Pro's have made the cut. :thumb:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm going to take it to the range again today to see if I get any different results. I went through and did a thorough cleaning of it last night and re-lubed everything. I bought a box of Federal rounds to put through it. It's possible that I could have been limp wristing it due to getting used to shooting .45 from a compact frame.

Thanks guys for all of you advice, I will report my findings back to you after tonight's session.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
**Update**

I went back to the range last night and put over 160 rounds of Federal Ammo through it, and I only had 1 round that FTF and that was because of a "limp wrist" I knew as soon as it did not feed, I was moving my hand as I was shooting it. I shot slow and rapid fired and did not have any feeding issues after that. I did, however, had a problem where I could not rack the side back with a full 10 round clip when the side was closed (I removed a round and had no problems racking the slide with 9 in the clip). I didn't have the problem when the slide was open from the last round. I took it home, re-cleaned everything, used less lubrication and played with the side on the frame and then practicing racking with full 10 round clips and did not have the same problem when I got home. I also modified the lips on the magazine just slightly to relieve pressure on the first round.

I'm going to take it back out this weekend or the next and test it out again. I'm glad that I'm working the kinks out of it now, so I can have faith carrying this as my CCW/SD gun. If not, I'll just stick with my PT140 as my carry gun.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Never any break in with any of my MillPros either, ran perfect right out of the box... as someone else above stated... I don't consider a gun reliable until I have several hundred rounds through it...

·
Super Moderator
38,683 Posts
Racking the slide on a 10 round magazine when the mags are new is a chronic problem. Leave them loaded full for a week or so and they will loosen up. Glad to hear that she's working in for you.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Every problem I had with my PT145 was due to one out of the three magazines.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Hello All,

I recently purchased a PT 145 on Friday and took it to the range on Saturday. I put a couple of boxes of tula rounds through it and I experienced 3 FTF out of 100 rounds. What is the normal break in period that you used for your 145? and what kind of ammo?

I look forward to hearing from you.
I agree with others. The ammo was probably the problem. I have about 150 rounds though my PT 145. All rounds were WWll surplus. Almost 70 years old. And my reloads. The only problem was a failure to fire on one of the WWll rounds. Accuracy is unbelievable from a short barrel .45 ACP.:eek:

·
Registered
81 Posts
My PT145 FTF on about the 8th round in almost every mag, shoots SUPER LOW and has the bad notches on the cheap plastic guides in the magazine. I've put 500+ rounds through this thing and have just lost confidence. Taurus says basically nothing except the notches happen and don't worry(BS) or send the gun in. I maybe their gun should be quality before it leaves the shop. I'm dumping this pos for a Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry ii. I'm disappointed because i waited so long to get the duo tone finish to match my PT1911 which I LOVE and has had NO issues.

·
Registered
976 Posts
My PT145 FTF on about the 8th round in almost every mag, shoots SUPER LOW and has the bad notches on the cheap plastic guides in the magazine. I've put 500+ rounds through this thing and have just lost confidence. Taurus says basically nothing except the notches happen and don't worry(BS) or send the gun in. I maybe their gun should be quality before it leaves the shop. I'm dumping this pos for a Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry ii. I'm disappointed because i waited so long to get the duo tone finish to match my PT1911 which I LOVE and has had NO issues.
So? You are going spend $500.00 more because of a so called bad magazine? I am glad for you that you have such a disposable income. Sounds like you are just wanting an excuse to get another pistol.;) I myself will stick with my POS PT 145. A 12:00 hold is required on the PT145.:guns: Not the traditional 6:00 hold. FYI. If you are into reliability and quality. Do not waste your money on a Kimber.:p Buy a Glock and be done with it.:D:D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts