Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

Have a PT-145. Noticed yesterday that there is a small crack on the feed ramp where the feed ramp joins the barrel at the breech/chamber. The crack doesn't go into the chamber of the barrel. It starts right at the rearward edge of the chamber and extends down the ramp off to the side - it's less than 1/8' long and slightly curved, and does NOT go through the metal to the outside of the barrel. It's more the beginning of a crack. Or a fissure.

Looks stress related, but since it's not in the chamber I can't say that it's caused by the the pressure of the cartridge going off. Because it doesn't go through the metal, I thought it was maybe a wear pattern, but it isn't - it's a fissure.

Anyone else have this happen on their PT-145? Don't know if I should send it in or not. Gun works good. What do you think? (I'm on hold w/ Taurus CS as we speak. )

·
Registered
140 Posts
Good luck. I would say it's probably not normal. I know my feedramp has a nick and 2 scratches going into the breach from a bur that was knocked off or a metal shaving from the original break-in (first 20 rds or so). I watch those scratches like a hawk after every range session to to make sure they aren't turning into cracks or look to be expanding. They aren't very big, or deep and they don't affect the use of the gun. I've smoothed down the edges when I first saw them so its more of a mind trip for me.

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm going to try and do that. Might be a couple hours or so. Just talked to Joel at Taurus. He said he wanted pictures too.

Hard to know if it's actually a crack or not, mostly because it can't be seen on the outside of the barrel/feed ramp. Joel thought it was possible that it's a deep scratch instead of a crack. That would explain it not going through to the other side, but it's hard to know what would scratch it, other than ammo. Joel pondered the idea that it might be the aluminum ammo casings (from the Herter's ammo), but it's hard to imagine aluminum scratching or gouging steel. I suppose, though, that if the impact is great enough, it might over time.

Regardless, he said Taurus does NOT recommend aluminum or steel cased ammo in the PT-145. (It was only 50 rounds of Herter's, but it was powerful stuff.)

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good luck. I would say it's probably not normal. I know my feedramp has a nick and 2 scratches going into the breach from a bur that was knocked off or a metal shaving from the original break-in (first 20 rds or so). I watch those scratches like a hawk after every range session to to make sure they aren't turning into cracks or look to be expanding. They aren't very big, or deep and they don't affect the use of the gun. I've smoothed down the edges when I first saw them so its more of a mind trip for me.
That's a very good possibility. I've noticed those filings and shavings, too (from the slide, I believe). They were sizeable when the gun was first being shot. Now that I've got 400-500 rounds through it, they are smaller or non-existent.

The more I look at it, the more doubtful I am it's a crack. The metal isn't all that thick at that point - if it's a crack, I don't see how it could be so noticeable on one side and invisible on the other side (outside). I'll show it to my gun shop friend.

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, the only thing that's cracked is me. I was wrong about the feed ramp having a fissure in it.

Took the barrel to the guy at the gun shop and he confirmed that it's definitely not a crack. It's kind of a deep gouge. He looked at it through his magnifier and confirmed this. Needless to say, I'm relieved. NOt totally surprised, though - a crack would've gone all the way through. He did validate my earlier perception, though, by saying it sure looked like a crack.

What caused the gouge? I'm guessing it may have been the metal filings during break-in, as Switchback suggested. Or the problem may have been that the gun even came from the factory like that and I never noticed it. They buff the ramps pretty good on this model - maybe the buffer slipped and they gouged it with the shaft of the drill. Who knows.

I'm leaving it AS IS, because the gun works too good. Unfortunately, though, this ended up costing me some money - ended up buying a new Zastava Tokorev in 9mm for $258 while I was at the gun store. :(

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
I know it's after the fact, but one of the things I do with a new gun is to take my Dremel tool with a very fine wheel and polish the feed ramp. In most firearms, that's cut and supposed to be polished. Sometimes burrs are left. Problem with a burr is that if it breaks off, it usually takes more than just the burr. If it's polished away, there's nothing to break loos. But you have to be very careful that all you do is polish and not change the geometry of the feed ramp.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
If you want to spend the money you can have things like this magna-fluxed that will definitely show crack or not.

·
Registered
60 Posts
It is not a crack. I flipped out when i seen this on my PT 145. I even check a couple of friends PT145s and theirs have it also. It does not affect the feed ramp in any way. I do not know why it is there, maybe this barrel is used in another application that requires that groove at the feed ramp.

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is not a crack. I flipped out when i seen this on my PT 145. I even check a couple of friends PT145s and theirs have it also. It does not affect the feed ramp in any way. I do not know why it is there, maybe this barrel is used in another application that requires that groove at the feed ramp.
At first I was wondering if it was a wear pattern from the cartridges. It roughly corresponds to where the edge of the brass runs up the feed ramp. Then I figured a wear pattern would have one side lower, the other side higher. But this is just a groove, which is why I wrongly thought it might be a crack. My gun store friend has done a fair bit of metal work, too, and he says it's not a crack, but a gouge.

Could it have always been there? Maybe. Wish I'd paid more attention when I bought it. But I'm getting the impression that some PT-145 owners aren't seeing it on their guns. My gun works great, too, so I'm glad I don't have to send it back, because sending it back might change that. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
I just checked my PT145 and I didn't see the mark on the barrel where you said on yours. I don't know about the barrel that originally came with my PT145. The barrel on my gun now is the one that Taurus replaced 2 years ago because the original one had some chips on the muzzle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts