Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a new PT138PRO and it's a real nice CCW. Here are the pic's.

It shoots on a dime and and where it is pointed.

The only thing that is bugging me is that the rear sight's have the dot's dimpled but no white paint!! Also the rear sight is adjustable but the blade moves wont stay in place.

It's a 3rd gen milpro and I was wondering aren't they supposed to have Heinie 8 shights on the rear.

So I guess I'll have to call Taurus to find out what's up!

Any one else have one of these like mine?

Al

·
32,654 Posts
If the back and front sight have a white dot painted front and center then those are the Hienie Straight Eight sights.

If the back sight has two dots each on the back sight and one dead center on the front then those are the normal three dot system that is popular and on most other brands, makes, and models of pistols.

if you do not like the current sights then a change may be in order though you may not like that fact.

However I have learned to use a standard sight picture with my dot sights ignoring completely the dots. One has to train the mind to do this, but with practice it can be done.

Sight black or certain types of paint can be used to darken the dots out permanently.

At the Smithing board there are alternative choices to the Straight Eight sights, dove tail sizes, and the how to replace these.

DO recommend reading The FAQ on how to use the Hienie sights.

http://wwww.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=835.0
This may work out for you better than doing anything else. Cheaper too.

Like the DA/SA trigger the sights do take practice,time,experience, and dedication to make things work.

Mr Hienie himself and his people tested 24/7s and PT1911s with the Taurus sights in place. They found no problems and could not figure out what all the hoopala was about.

He and his people are not the kind who cover things up or choose to ignore real world problems that others have.

Do what you will and there are alternatives as suggested here.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The pt132 and the 138 come with the 3 white dot sights. The rear is windage adjustable. It looks like some got out without the rear dots painted white just plain dimples where the paint would be. So instead of sending back I got my wife's Loreal French white tip nail polish and filled the dots in. Now I have my three dots and it makes acquiring the target quicker.

Also the rear sight blade was loose. I took it apart and steched the small spring. Put back to gether and it stay's in place now and adjustment is mush better.

Al

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MPanova, I like 380's. I already had a Sig P230 and Bersa Thunder both 380. The main reason for the PT138 is that I can convert it for lefty use, my son is a lefty. The other reason is I have always wanted a Glock 28 so this is as close to it as I can get. As far as 9mm in similar package I have a Glock 26.

Al

·
32,654 Posts
Aw, now you done it. :) Went and mentioned that unmentionable name!!! ;D _ _ock!

Actually it doesn't matter. ;D .380ACP is a decent cartridge and this is for a hideaway gun.

Lots of good reasons to go to a .380ACP over the more potent calibers.

Many .380s are used for backup guns or for primary carry in hot humid summers.

Many are the members of the gun forums, civilians, and LEOs that need a summertime backup or a cartridge that they themselves can shoot well.
With as many articles in periodicals and threads at gun forums talking about guns for carry, .32ACPs, .380s, and .38 Special guns seem to get the nod from a lot of folks.

Better than a .22lrf or a stick for defense.Better than the full size revolver or pistol left at home.

For home defense recoil and muzzle blast can make things disorienting or hard to get back on target. Thus the good reason for the less powerful cartridgeand large sized gun.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I was just curious. I am not questioning you for your choice by any means. I see now why you chose the 380 and it makes perfect sense. Happy shooting

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Qwiks draw, I’m not partial to _ _ock’s. I currently have 2 a 1991 2nd generation G20 10mm and the G26. I also have Smith’s, Beretta’s, Bersa’s, Sig’s, Kimber’s and 5 Taurus’s. All of them have always worked and shot good.

My reasoning for the 380 round is an easy going round. Low recoil and good accuracy to 20 feet. And most of all I feel comfortable with it as a CCW round. With the carry craze going on today the 32 and 380 are starting to get some attention. Ammo is getting better Remington Golden Saber is 102g JHP and I’ve heard that some makers are testing up to 112g ammo in 380.

And like you said I live Miami, year round shorts and Hawaiian shirts. Where do I hide 1911 or a PT92? Simplicity is best, small and high capacity. And the 3 day’s a year that we need to wear a windbreaker the big boy’s get to go for a night out.

·
32,654 Posts
alman 63. Was having a bit of fun, but not at your expense.At least that was not the intention. Sorry if it came off that way. After the bad mouthing Taurus gets from other brand forums, like a 200 lb. pigeon, it was just sitting there and too good to miss. We've taken a lot of "bad press" from Kimber,Glock, and Colt owners or forums in the past. Other members here would have gotten this as a joke. Not on you. Just at the gun name and "past experience" owners of Taurus had had.

Have defended anyone's right to chose whatever brand, make, and model gun they so chose. Still do. Hard to find a company that puts out bad anything.There are a few exceptions, but Glock and the rest are not it.

And best of all, your reasoning is sound on this whole matter.

Glad to have your feedback.

The 102gr. Remington load is excellent.

There is a law of diminishing returns though.
Not for this bullet weight, but for heavier ones there may be.

Example. In the somewhat comparative 9x18 calliber 115 gr.JHPs are or were available.
These did expand though were of Russian manufacuter. Not dynamic expansion, but they did do this. This was enough for many gun writers and gun instructors to give this bullet weight and ammo a nod for serious consideration as self defense round. Foot pounds of energy equaled or surpassed even some .38 Special loads.

Then the P64-PA63 gun crowd picked up on this and guns using this bullet weight and load for defense started coming apart. They are not made to take this kind of ammo, the pressure, or that bullet weight. Even with heavier recoil springs installed. Makarovs could get away with this, but not the smaller 9x18 pistols. Silver Bear stopped making that heavy a bullet for the 9x19 as had stuck to 94gr. or slightly heavier bullets ever since.

112gr. bullets for the .380ACP, if and when they come out, might take some experimenting and caution on the part of .380ACp pistol owners.

You are defintely right about Miami summers. Around here in the Dairy State guyaberra and Hawian shirts ought to be the norm during summer. ;D And this is 1000 miles or so due north of where you are. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Everyone, it's been fun defending what brand's I own and will buy. It's all in fun and thats what keeps us going. The best one is when I pull my PT92 out and others have M9's. Boy the looks and coments come out.

Hope we can get more PT138PRO owners to post how they like them.

PS Can't wait to post on the PT1911 forum I got a new Kimber....... NAH!

·
Registered
39 Posts
i have one ,,,its my current ccw..i have one magazine that holds the 12 rounds but the second one holds only like 6 ?? is it the same on yours ?just ordered a desantis holster ,next mod is gonna be the Trijicon Taurus 3 Dot Green Front & Green Rear Night Sight ,,,

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sound like you might need to have that mag checked out. Both mine hold 12 rounds.

Let me know how the sights work out for you.

·
32,654 Posts
Having a magazine loader form ADCO ,Ruger, or other type might help get the extra rounds into the mag. Have had trouble similar in the past. One of these did away with that problem.

There might be other causes.

Letting fully loaded mags sit for a few days is know to take care of this as well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
took my mags apart,cleaned and oiled them,,,they are fully loaded now,,but am gonna let em sit for awhile,thanks qwiks,,probaby get one of those quick loaders too,,

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
alman63 said:
Got a new PT138PRO and it's a real nice CCW.

It shoots on a dime and and where it is pointed.

Any one else have one of these like mine?

Al
Hey alman63:

I don't know if you are still around on this forum, but I was wondering how you like your PT138 that you purchased in August of 2007 (after owning it for almost three years)?

I bought my Millennium Pro PT138 in January of this year (2010), and am very well pleased with it.

Mr. Moderator: Sorry if I am not following protocol by resurrecting this thread...I am hoping to get some response on how the fellow feels about his Millennium Pro Pt138 after having it for a few years.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts