Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,890 Posts
This is got to be a personel choice I have an XD-9 4" and a PT1911 45 and can carry either one comfortably. In defferent type holsters with different amount of clothes and I'm 5'10 and 250lbs

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
First off...you must choose a caliber. The PT111 is a 9mm and the XD is a .45.

I have a PT145 and an XD45 4" compact and they both conceal equally well on my body. (6'4" and 220 lbs) Both have been equally reliable in my experience.

If price is a concern you can get a Millenium Pro for around $325 versus $475 for an XD.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have both I was looking for people who carried one or the other and what the best way to carry with my body type. Everyone on here has been alot of help

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I carry the XD OWB in a Don Hume open top leather holster. I usually carry the PT145 IWB in a High Noon bare asset.

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
Natrate said:
Get a Glock. You'll be much happier.
Well I tried those, the small ones were to short in the grip and too boxy for me, and the large ones felt like I was carrying a 2 x 4. But that is all personal preference I am sure. The PT111 fits my hand and I love it, but I have gone to revolvers since that and the smaller grips seem to work for me.

·
Super Moderator
35,531 Posts
I do not like "safe action". I own no Glocks for that reason. I prefer a true DA or DAO for carry. But, not a thing wrong with the function of a Glock, just that lots of folks have a reason not to go that route and I'm one of 'em. If Glock suits you, fine. Just be safety aware and don't shoot yourself with it. Lots of NDs with those things that I hear about. And, be sure you have GOOD trigger protective leather to carry it in. Those things make me nervous, like a 1911 with no safeties workin'.

·
Administrator
35,707 Posts
Did he say a Block? How do you shoot a block?

They sure are pretty though.....don't know if I could find a good holster for one.....

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a XD 45 and love it. That being said, I purchased a PT-145 for CCW. For me, the XD is a little bulky for carrying. I'm sure that it is just personal preferance. Both are great guns.

I agree with most of the posts about the Glocks. The grip doesn't feel good to me and I shoot the XD and the Taurus better than the Block...I mean the Glock. See what you guys got me doing? :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
I also dislike the Glocks. Too wide, too boxy, too ugly... all personal opinions of course.

I found that a Beretta PX4 fit my hand much better than most of the other things I had looked at, and I really like the way the Millennium's look and feel.

the XD45 is a great gun. Good feel and well made, and I prefer it to the Glock. But really as other's have mentioned you are comparing two totally different styles of guns.

If I were to choose between carrying one of those two day in and day out I would opt for the smaller one. Less likely to be left at home because it is too bulky or heavy.

However, I would get the PT145 instead of the PT111. Similar (same?) number of rounds, but much more potent.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Keep in mind that a XD45c, while it has the shorter grip, the barrel is 4', compared to the 3" sub compacts (9/40). I myself have an XD9 4" for competition, and a XD40sc for CCW. If I can get a replacement set of sights that are cheaper than replacing my 1st gen PT-111, I might go back to that for summer carry.
The Big plus you get withe the XD, is it comes with a compact Mag for carry, and a full size one with grip extention for when you go shooting. The extention makes the grip full size. Very nice for putting a few hundered rounds downrange.

If your set on 45acp, then the XD is a great weapon, but for carry, you might want to check out the 40SC for a bit more conceability. Don't forget that you can order the XDs with Trijicon NS. The stock sights are hell to get off, and I left it to Springfield to change them =)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've found out that it is easier to conceal my PT111 during the summer months when I wear t-shirts & such than it is with my XD45 Service. It fact, you can't even see the 111. So....I carry the XD in the winter/cooler months when I typically wear more layers than a light t-shirt, and tote the PT111 in the warmer months. It's a win/win situation. ;D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts