Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay...got my PT111 and took it to the range...cleaned the pipe and chamber...and generally wiped down everything that was factory lubed...leaving a thin film.

I had the magazine loaded with Winchester 115 gr. JHP's. It cranked them off flawlessly. Then, I loaded it with some Fiocchi 130 gr. 945 FPS FMJ rounds. After, shooting a couple of magazines, the PT111 suddenly misfired...restriking the round once the PT111 went back to DA mode still didn't fire the round. Bad round, maybe. Then it started doing it once or twice each magazine of five rounds.

I did notice that the firing pin light bulb on the back of the slide was loose and I could move it with my finger...I pressed it back into place and it was fine after that, but it didn't fix the misfires. Very irritating at this point. I did notice that the rounds were getting a light strike...very light in some cases, while other rounds were firing normally.

I also noticed upon examination of the chamber, when I was experiencing misfires, that the firing pin didn't retract as far as it should have. This observation was the conclusion derived from a later observation of firing pin position once the PT111 began firing normally.

Was it grit, keeping the firing pin from fully retracting, not allowing for a full strike on the firing pin? Who knows.

I ran 150 rounds through it. I'm going to clean it and take it back to the range again next week. I'll let you know how that goes.

There were two Fiocchi rounds that had significant dimples in the primer, without discharging the primer. I could fire all the other rounds after the gun began to function normally, but not the Fiocchi rounds.

Comments will be greatly appreciated...

Ed

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
I had a similar issue with my 24/7 (light strikes and the firing pin not retracting). Turned out the spring that runs the firing pin (if you take it out it looks like it has a hat on one end) was broke on the end with the washer looking piece. I ordered a new one (two actually for a backup) and it's worked fine ever since.

Is this a new gun or just new to you? If it's a new one Taurus will pay for the shipping it back. If it's just new to you and over a year old you might come off cheaper ordering a new pin. There's a thread in the milpro section or the 24/7 section that tells you how to detail strip these. If your comfortable doing the work yourself that is. Be sure to watch out for the ball bearing under the safety lever it likes to get away from you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's new...only a few days old. I'm going back to the range next week sometime.

It's unnerving to have your pistol click when it should be sending one down range...especially since I bought it for CCW or my glovebox gun.

Thanks for your response. We'll see.

Ed

·
Super Moderator
40,640 Posts
I would flush the firing pin/striker area out real good with something like Gun Scrubber. Good possibility it is full of the packing grease from Taurus. I have read when you mix in some powder residue it gets hard and nasty.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I'm gonna vote with btleslie and urge you to take the firing pin out and clean clean all that area. If the firing pin spring is bent or broken or the channel isn't really really clean the gunk will build up. Your statement about the pin not retracting enough tells me there's dirt in there. That firing pin must be clean and as slick as it can be. Parts are cheap from Taurus.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm gonna vote with btleslie and urge you to take the firing pin out and clean clean all that area. If the firing pin spring is bent or broken or the channel isn't really really clean the gunk will build up. Your statement about the pin not retracting enough tells me there's dirt in there. That firing pin must be clean and as slick as it can be. Parts are cheap from Taurus.
Thanks for the tips...I'm going to clean her up as good as I can, and see if that does't make a difference.

Question. Should the problems continue, could I take my gun to a local gunsmith for warranty repair, or will it have to go back to Taurus...should the problem prove persistent.

I'm really hoping that a good cleaning is going to take care of everything.

Right now the firing pin is moving freely in it's channel...so, so far, nothing is gunking up it's travel.

I hope to get back to you all in a few days with some good results.

It's sure a sweet gun...

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
I had this problem, removing the firing pin and cleaning it and the channel worked.

·
Super Moderator
27,076 Posts
Thanks for the tips...I'm going to clean her up as good as I can, and see if that does't make a difference.

Question. Should the problems continue, could I take my gun to a local gunsmith for warranty repair, or will it have to go back to Taurus...should the problem prove persistent.

I'm really hoping that a good cleaning is going to take care of everything.

Right now the firing pin is moving freely in it's channel...so, so far, nothing is gunking up it's travel.

I hope to get back to you all in a few days with some good results.

It's sure a sweet gun...
To the best of my knowledge...ALL Taurus warantee problems MUST go back to Taurus.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You stated you left some factory lube in there while cleaning it. That is not lube and is probably the issue. Clean it really well as stated and remove that junk

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
As stated, the firing pin channel needs cleaning. Do get some Gun Scrubber and if you don't take the pin out, at least spay the channel out real good, along with the rest of the insides. I am betting it has some of the powder residue mixed in with the packing grease and the more you shot it, the more it accumulated, causing the light strikes. Please let us know how it shoots after a good cleaning.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As stated, the firing pin channel needs cleaning. Do get some Gun Scrubber and if you don't take the pin out, at least spay the channel out real good, along with the rest of the insides. I am betting it has some of the powder residue mixed in with the packing grease and the more you shot it, the more it accumulated, causing the light strikes. Please let us know how it shoots after a good cleaning.
Will do. Question...I have some CLP that I purchased from the gun range, is that equivalent.

Looking into getting some Gun Scrubber.

Thanks, Ed

·
Registered
6,961 Posts

You will need to do it sooner or later. You can use Gun Scrubber Synthetic Safe so you do not have to remove the striker assembly every time you clean the gun. However, you need to remove the striker to do a thorough clean of it and the firing channel once in a while.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
24/7 and MilPro Striker Removal

You will need to do it sooner or later. You can use Gun Scrubber Synthetic Safe so you do not have to remove the striker assembly every time you clean the gun. However, you need to remove the striker to do a thorough clean of it and the firing channel once in a while.
Yep, I'm getting that picture...guess it's going to be a bit of a learning curve.

I went to WM and they had on can of Gun Scrubber...no top...last one. So, i'm getting some on line.

Thanks, comments are greatly appreciated. This is a great forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Our 2nd time on the range after new, only 100 rounds at that time, brought 4 brands of ammo to try, all 115 cheap. Fiocchi was the one in particular the pt111-ti didn't like, two fail-to-loads and one fail-to-eject (partial jam in ejection port) out of 50. No ftf though. Since then nearly 1000rnds with only 1 fail to load (bad cartridge, failed again after 2nd try). Stripped and cleaned well after first day of purchase and kept clean.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Our 2nd time on the range after new, only 100 rounds at that time, brought 4 brands of ammo to try, all 115 cheap. Fiocchi was the one in particular the pt111-ti didn't like, two fail-to-loads and one fail-to-eject (partial jam in ejection port) out of 50. No ftf though. Since then nearly 1000rnds with only 1 fail to load (bad cartridge, failed again after 2nd try). Stripped and cleaned well after first day of purchase and kept clean.
I'm hoping that this is the case with my PT111. I field stripped it and cleaned it with CLP and now it's **** and span and lightly lubed. So, I'm looking forward to hitting the range next week...probably on the first. I hope they still have some ammo. Three days before I went to the range to shoot, they limited ammo to 3 boxes...when I went to shoot, it was 2 boxes...9mm was going for $15 per box...but only to range shooters.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts