Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could anyone tell me if there is a big difference between the Taurus Millemium Pro 9mm Titanium or blued. I know there is about 2 oz difference in weight. I'm planing on buying one in the near future. They seem like great guns.

·
32,658 Posts
Don't have the Titanium version. Owned a blue PT111 and then went and traded up for stainless PT111 Mil/pro.

Titanium is great for those who carry and shoot a little. It is also corrosion resistant.
So is stainless. Not as much as titanium, but more so than the blue version. I will admit to being one of those greatly perspiring gents under a lot of circumstances so went with the stainless.

Recoil is more pronounced in the Ti. model than with either the blue or stainless models. Not so much more, but it is noticeable. With +P ammo within the 1225 fps. mandated by the manual as the max speed to use, but of the 115gr. JHP persuasion, the increase was severe enough that I like the slightly heavier metal versions over the Ti. model.

Mostly I do use standard pressure loads for practice and defense since +P velocity gains and foot pounds of energy are minimal out of short barreled pistols. This regardless of caliber.

Since shot to shot recovery time is improved and the newer generation of JHPs are designed for low velocity expansion, I see little reason for +P out less than actual 3 inches of barrel. The cartridge takes up a portion of the 3 inches of barrel measurement.
Less battering by the higher pressures means less major wear and tear on the PT111 and the user. If recoil isn't a problem for you then go the +P route if you want to. Just be aware of limitations listed above and decide if +P is really worth it.

Blued and stainless versions have a bit of more accuracy over the Ti. models, but again, not by much.

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=2418.0

This is a DAO pistol and is different in training approach than if one is used to conventional double action first shot and then single action for each shot thereafter pistols. Different mindset is needed. Not all that hard to do. Just have to take it into consideration though.

If this is about like the Ti. snubbies that are carried a lot and shot little, then the Ti. might be your cup of tea. These are lighter for carrying, but have minor limitations compared to their slightly heavier brethren. Just be aware that the compact pistols take more dedication,time, and practice to stay up to par with over their larger pistol brethren.

I have had much success with the PT111 in stainless and it's everything I needed in a CCW pistol. Function and fit are very good for me. Then again, I have short stubby fingers and small hands.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much for so much information. I think PT111 is an outstanding CCW pistol also.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Qwiks draw. I was wondering why you hadn't chosen a PT140. Doesn't it accept 9mm rounds too?

·
32,658 Posts
Me,a .40 S&W fan? Yes I am. Here's the but... and a big one. Cut it out folks.. I can hear the snickering and snide comments. ;) :)

The 9mm. does all I need it to do. Despite the hype that only the larger calibers 'get the job done' is a fallacy. Since real world data shows that the 9mm. can do what I want to without the high pressures and large bullet, I see no reason to go to one.Let it be stated that all the handgun cartridges are weak sisters in stopping determined attackers. Even rifle or shotguns are not cure alls, even though touted to be.

History is full of extreme violent fanatics, drugged up types, "people on a mission" who feel no pain, and have a mindset that makes them immune to pain and other stimuli and reason and common sense. Moros, Fuzzy Wuzzies, Jihadists, Whirling Dervishes, all and others have not been stopped or impressed by handgun, rifle, or shotgun "stoppiing power". They have absorbed an enormous amounts
of fatal wounds and went on to kill or maim as they expired permanently.

So I go with what works well for the most part as there is no 'magic bullet or caliber'.
The 9mm. balances out what I want it to do. Gives a decent level of protection, low pressure,easy to shoot,mild recoil,quick shot to shot recovery and is cheap to shoot as far as centerfire handgun cartridges.

I am in my fifties and slowly heading down the road to become infirm. I have relatives and friends who have had to give up shooting entirely. They all shot tons of .45ACP and large bore ( .40S&W included) to the point that they cannot shoot centerfire handguns anymore.... or rarely can. Too much shooting the big bores caused physical troubles and hardship.
On the other hand the 9mm. doesn't have the recoil or forces concentrated so much as to cause these aforementioned problems. Not as much.

Let it be stated that all the defense cartridges 9mm., 357 magnum/.38 Specia, on up, all give decent levels of protection for their abilities and have good combat records. If you folks chose any of these, fine ,dandy,and all is good. Won't get into a caliber debate as they all get the job done well and debate can go on forever when it is not needed.

No, mixing and matching 9mm. with the .40 S&W won't work and are bad ideas to try. If Taurus were to do a caliber swap barrel system for it's pistols, then having a .40 S&W might make some sense. The .357 SIG and the .40S&W guns can get away with that if made for it. Some companies make such things available.

For those of you who like the .40 S&W or the .45ACP.. or any of the other defensive cartridges... and you are satisfied with it.. I am happy for you. One size does not truly fit all. :) ;)

P.S. ;) The .40 S&W is a very high pressure and high intensity cartridge. Even more so than the .45 ACP or the 9mm.

This is all set down as an example for others should they chose to decide to take the 9mm./ .38 Special path. If one takes the .40 S&W journey... good for you if it works out well.

Oh, yes. Do own a Ruger P97DC in .45ACP. Love the gun. Also think the Taurus .45ACP guns are all decent, too. ;) :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again for such a great response. You have answered all my questions and I agree with you. I'll be getting a Taurus PT 111 shortly for regular concealed carry. I do have a Sig 220 45 for home defense, etc. along with other weapons but I think the PT 111 is the ideal regular carry gun, good & cheap ammo will encourge lots of practice in the back yard. Can't wait!

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Qwiks draw said:
inquiring minds want to know. ;D
Yeah, I can say the same things about the power of cartridges, and guns. I only have 4 actually, a 22Mag, 9mm(PT111 Blue), 357 Rossi, and my blunderbuss, (The Judge)in 45 colt or 410. Big one is for the house, and back fields of my farm. The middle two are for carry, by me and possibly soon by the wife. I shoot the 22 LR or Mag for fun due to cost and age too. If I ran all the high power stuff, I would probably be like Qwik says disabled. Believe me I been researching all power settings for mine, and hitting what you aim at is the most important to me.

·
32,658 Posts
Good call, Robby.
Like the .22 magnum in revolvers. More power than a .22lrf and one knows a round has been set off instead of a light crack noise. :) Just more fun in some ways over the .22lrf. Never had to worry about recoil either. ;D

Yes,we know. More expensive to shoot. Just darn fun to shoot though. Cans and plinking targets react more. Kind of fun. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts