Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Fianlly got to take out the PT111 to the range. I am sad but determined to make this work! According to taurus, it was made in 2010 but when I received it, it was still full of packing grease. I cleaned the heck out of it, twice. I even took the firing pin apart and cleaned it just to make sure. I used CLP and gun oil on it. I went to the range with Remington, CCI Blazer Brass and Winchester ball ammo. All three were 115gr ball. The first magazine went pretty good. After that, it went down hill. I couldn't get past 3 shots with either a FTE or FTF. I had at least 5 stovepipes total out of 150 rounds fired. At least 30 times, the round never made it into battery. The bullet would go half way in and get jammed. I can count at least five complete FTE. The round would fire but the slide would not go back far enough to eject the shell. This very well could have been a magazine issue, but I have only one because I had to send one of them back because it didn't look quite right when inserted in the weapon. Even though the weapon was made in 2010, I managed to convince Taurus that I was the first shooter with this gun and the were kind enough to pay for the shipping to have it looked at. Kuddos to Taurus for their customer service. I really want to like this gun. I love the feel of it and I want this to be my EDC when I get my Illinois license. (When Illinois gets it finally).

I had a lot of the "low and left" issues but I am sure it can be corrected. I preface all the above that I am not a beginner shooter. I have been shooting for 25 years. I currently own a Beretta 92, Star 30M ( my favorite) and a Taurus TCP. I can shoot the heck out of all 3 of those, even the little TCP which I REALLY am growing to love.

Come on Taurus......make me proud!!

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Hopefully, they fix it for you. The PT111 is a great little pistol. I cleaned mine about 3 times, before heading out to the range. Never a FTE or FTF in the 150 rounds that I put through it. However, there was an issue with the safety and the slide. Counting on Taurus to fix it and send it back. With spring around the corner, the PT111 is the perfect carry gun for the weather here.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
At least 30 times, the round never made it into battery. The bullet would go half way in and get jammed.
This is a classic symptom of an extractor that's a little too tight. They loosen up with use, and there's also a 2-300 round break-in period. And then there's the ergonomics of small pistols - gotta hold on tight and lock your wrists 'cause they don't like to be limp wristed. It can result in ftf's and stove pipes. A firm push/pull grip is the way to go. I'm sure Taurus will give it a thorough going-over, but it's probably a good idea to keep this stuff in mind when you get it back.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hopefully they sort things out for you, I took my new Millennium Pro 111 out to the range the other day and it shot flawless.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I have been to the range three times. Not one issue with my PT111 Pro. It must be 250 rounds fired. Little gun just keeps on shooting. Not to say it won't happen, it just hasn't happened yet. :)...knock on wood. I do take care of it. I inspect and clean it after every trip to the range. Well, I have had one issue with a round not loading. Not sure why. Every other round worked perfect. Not sure I trust DRT rounds.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Sorry to here about your problems. My PT111 took a couple of trips to the shop to get it right but now it is fine. Mine was also shooting low and left so I swapped out the Heine sights for Fire Sights fixed the problem. A lot of people with these pistols complain about shooting low and left so don't let anyone tell you it is operator error as some on this site are prone to do.

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts
I have a PT609 which is almost identical. Try removing the slide and see how easily a cartridge rim slides under the extractor. Then you might try removing the extractor, its fairly simple.

I had a few problems when mine was new and I removed the extractor and found a bunch of that white grease (by then infused with powder residue) in places impossible to get too with the extractor in place. Inspect the extractor for burrs / sharp edges.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Sorry to hear of bad luck I have had no real issues with mine.... Hope you get to enjoy your as much as I do mine

1 - 10 of 10 Posts