Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a PT 111 Mil Pro for carry purposes. It was purchased brand new, and when I got home I cleaned all the cosmoline off of it and made sure it functioned well. One week later I took it out and it fired beautifully for the first few mags. Then it misfired. I pulled the trigger and nothing happened, so I utilized the secondary DA feature by pulling the trigger again. Nothing. I ejected the round and finished the mag. After recovering the round, the primer looked just like all my spent cases so far, so it was definitely striking the case hard enough. It happened once more that day and again today. It just randomly will not ignite a certain round. I was using white box Winchester ammo on both instances.

I'm posting to see if someone else out there has had any problems like this or knows what might be wrong. I've been very careful to not get oil onto the striker or in the chamber, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was just leftover gunk from the cosmline (there was a LOT of cosmoline on this gun when I bought it). It could very well be that the pistol just needs broken in, and if that's the case then I'm more than up to the task. However, if this is going to be my carry piece, it must go bang every time. I would really like to avoid sending it to Taurus if at all possible. I really, really like this gun a lot. It feels great in my hand, and when it fires I can shoot it very well, but if I can't get this problem worked out I might be shopping for a Taurus revolver.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, I started really picking stuff apart last night, and I discovered something. The spent cases look "scratched" on one side of the strike point. This looks like it is shaving small pieces of brass off the primer, and I believe the striking pin is pulling these pieces back into the assembly with it. If I dry fire the pistol I can find very small flecks of brass on the feed ramp and in the magazine well. This is the first Taurus semi-auto that I've owned, so it might be a common occurance. Again, thanks everyone for the input and advice.

As soon as I get a chance to put some different ammo through it I'll post an update. At least it's feeding and ejecting properly...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very well. I'll head to the friendly (if available) guys at the Wal-Mart counter and get some other stuff to try in the gun. Hopefully Winchester just put out a bad batch and it'll improve in the future. I'll report back if it happens with another type of ammo. Thanks again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The reason I am skeptical of it being an issue with the ammo is because in all the years I've shot and all the years of the people I know that have shot, I have never heard of a Winchester White Box cartridge having a problem.

Now, I have disassembled the striker assembly and cleaned it out. There was a lot of cosmoline trapped in there, so I'm hoping this has fixed the issue (or at least helped it). I was also looking for the possibility of a burr inside the striker port, possibly causing the firing pin to hit just light enough to not fire the primer, but still make a dent. I've seen this happen in one of my friend's guns, and after the burr was filed off it functioned flawlessly. This, however, was not the case.

I have yet to get this gun back to the range and see if it is still having this issue, and when I do I'll be taking a box of Winchester, a box of Blazer, and a box of handloaded ammo. If this still happens I will once and for all determine if it is the ammo or the firearm. I should be able to take a trip out in the next week or so, and I will post an update.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey guys, sorry for not getting back on this. I still haven't had a chance to burn a lot of ammo, but I was able to steal away for a bit and I put 50 rounds of WWB ammo though it with no problems at all. Next time I'm able (hopefully in the next couple of weeks) I'll be able to get out and put a couple of hundred rounds (of different types) through it and see what happens. I promise when I actually get out and give it a good, hard testing, I'll post the results.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Qwiks,
Sounds like you've been going to my martial arts dojo (we occasionally pull out the foam "bats" for practice).

I promise guys. Just heard word today that our shoot will either be on the 11th or the 18th. Maybe I'll have some pics to post as well (provided someone brings a camera and we shoot well enough to not be ashamed at showing our targets).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Sorry it's been so long, but we finally got out to the range and I was able to put a few more rounds through my PT111. We (all 8 of us) spent six hours shooting lots of different guns and burned through a total of around 5,000 rounds of ammo.

I put three different types of ammo through the PT111: Winchester JHP, some reloads, and the ammo that gave me trouble the first time, the standard WWB round nose. I fired a little over 100 rounds with no problems at all. (Once the slide didn't lock back, but I'm pretty sure I bumped the slide release with my thumb.) So, all appears to be well now, and there will be no trip to Taurus. Needless to say I'm quite happy. We'll keep an eye on everything and make sure it stays that way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.