Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Edit- Ruger! Dang phone auto correct.
OK. I have narrowed my choices to the pt-111 and the SR9c. I see someone asked to compare s&w, so I thought I'd ask about the SR. I've shot the SRc but I haven't had the chance to shoot the pt-111. Does anyone have experience with both? What do you like/dislike? Malfunctions?
Thanks

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had a SR9C briefly. I ended up selling it to my Father-in-Law. As far as concealability they were pretty close. The Ruger felt a little heavier and the grip was a little longer. They are both great guns. I have always liked Ruger's revolvers more than their semi autos but the SR line are very good.

Both have good triggers. The Ruger breaks earlier with a nice crisp break. The G2 has some take up but breaks very crisp and the reset is very short.

Neither had any malfunctions. They were both pretty accurate for me.
The Ruger will most likely have more options for aftermarket sights but found both had decent stock sights.

I stuck with the G2. I liked the way it felt in the hand better, preferred the trigger a little better, and felt easier to ride IWB.
It was a tough choice though. They are pretty darn close in my book.

·
Registered
29,960 Posts
I've very biased so I'll just be straight up about it...

I don't like anything about the Ruger.

I "LOVE" everything about my Taurus PT-111 G2's; they're...

1. 100% reliable
2. Ergonomic to the maximus
3. Compact
4. Light
5. High Cap 12+1
6. Aesthetically pleasing to the eye
7. and did I mentiion accurate beyond their size.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
I will parrot everything Moondog said about the G2 and only add that the gun is comfortable to carry and very concealable.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I've shot both. Besides my opinion that the SR9c is ugly, I didn't really like the trigger and it's heavier and longer than the G2, which i happen to carry daily.

My very biased 2 cents. :-D

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
I suggest you try them both to see which one you prefer because you might not like the guns others like and vice versa. I have the SR9c and I love it. It's very accurate, has soft recoil and is very easy to conceal with the 10rd mag. The SR9c, the PT145 and the SCCY CPX-1 are my 3 favorite ccw's.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I have the 111G2, a friend has the SR9c. We've swapped at the range, and actually like each other's pistols just fine. One thing the Ruger has is a factory 17-round mag. I ginned up some for my G2 using mags from a 24/7 and a spacer for the 24/7 Compact that doesn't quite fill all the space :)

Now, the "flush mags" for each piece, my Taurus wins with 12-shot vs. 10-shot capacity. But the Ruger wins on hi-cap mag availability.

Reactions: mwj999

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've owned Taurus pistols since 1985 including the PT111 Millennium G2. That being said I also own the Ruger SR9 & SR9c and several other Rugers. I carry the Ruger LC9S everyday. It conceals easier than the PT111 and has a much better trigger. It all depends on what you are using the gun for CCW etc. For me the Ruger SR9C wins hands down. The trigger is probable the best out of the box trigger out there. Reliability is 100% and Ruger customer service is stellar. I've had problems with Taurus CS in the past and I probably won't buy Taurus again because of the CS. Try both and decide for yourself.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've owned Taurus pistols since 1985 including the PT111 Millennium G2. That being said I also own the Ruger SR9 & SR9c and several other Rugers. I carry the Ruger LC9S everyday. It conceals easier than the PT111 and has a much better trigger. It all depends on what you are using the gun for CCW etc. For me the Ruger SR9C wins hands down. The trigger is probable the best out of the box trigger out there. Reliability is 100% and Ruger customer service is stellar. I've had problems with Taurus CS in the past and I probably won't buy Taurus again because of the CS. Try both and decide for yourself.
I don't own the SR9c but I am a Ruger fan and Ruger's have always been known to be built like tanks and eat anything you give them. On the other hand I love my G2 and it is extremely reliable but this is my first Taurus due to Taurus being known as crap guns, atleast in my area. I was worried when I first bought my G2 and seriously only considered it after reading nothing but good reviews on them. Will I buy another Taurus? Probably not unless it gets just as good of reviews and reliability as the G2

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
You'll have to decide which to get based on your preferences. I've never shot either gun, nor have I seen a G2, but I have dry fired an SR9c at my LGS. I was unimpressed with its trigger. But that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
32,268 Posts
I've always enjoyed any of the Mil-pros and I've enjoyed many Rugers as well, although not the clunky P series semi-auto Rugers. There are a lot of positives for both. Just try to fire one of each before making your decision. The only Ruger SR series I have is the SR-22 and I love it.

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
I own a Ruger SR9c and I consider it truly to be one of the best guns I own. I'd carry it all of the time if it was just a tad smaller, but I carry it often. Not sure the PT 111 is any smaller - I don't own one, so I can't comment either on the size or the quality...but I hear very good things about them. Ruger opted for a 10/17 mag capacity so you have the best of both worlds: concealable compact or full size service gun.

If you're on a budget, the choice would be much more towards the G2 Taurus, and right now is the time to buy, cause I don't think prices could get lower. The Ruger is over 400 and the Taurus is under 300.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I made the choice just last night after trying to decide for weeks. I decided on the Taurus and ordered one online. Both guns got an excellent video review from GunBlast, but the Taurus (IMHO) seemed to impress the reviewer more than the Ruger. The deciding factor was price: I found a best of $252 (+ $10 shipping) for the Millenium Pro G2 with SS slide, or $366 (best price I could find) for the Ruger.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
The Ruger lacks the DA/SA capability of the Millennium G2. I know the 24/7 magazines were supposed to fit the MilPro series. The SRc is noticeably longer in the slide than the G2 and a bit less concealable but it is a solid value nonetheless. I like the ability of the SR to utilize full-sized mags (with a grip spacer). This is a very nice feature to have.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
For me the SR9c is a bit easier to carry than the PT145 because it's a bit thinner and has shorter grip with the 10rd mag. I don't have the PT111 to compare.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I made the choice just last night after trying to decide for weeks. I decided on the Taurus and ordered one online. Both guns got an excellent video review from GunBlast, but the Taurus (IMHO) seemed to impress the reviewer more than the Ruger. The deciding factor was price: I found a best of $252 (+ $10 shipping) for the Millenium Pro G2 with SS slide, or $366 (best price I could find) for the Ruger.
Boy I wish I couldn’t have gotten a SS model for that low of price. I paid $315 for mine and that is with the blued slide. Should have waited I guess because that was last December. Wow, last December and I have only gotten to shoot it once. That’s terrible. I need to get to the range a lot more.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts