Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I just purchased a PT-111 and am breaking the gun down for a cleaning and lube. Question. Why can't I get the magazine base plate off? With my other semi-autos, I just pust in the button at the bottom of the magazine plate and slide the base off. The base plate won't budge on the PT-111 magazines. Any tips? Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now I am in worse shape. Last night I used a Q-tip stick to press the button in at the bottom of the base plate while trying to slide the base off. It broke off inside the magazine. I need to get the plate off. I am thinking now that maybe it doesn't come off. But how would you clean out sand or debris that got into the magazine? If the plate doesn't come off that is a stupid design.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got it off. I had to rap the base plate with a mallet while pushing the button. Doesn't do a heck of alot of good to remove the finger rest base because there is no way to get the metal plate off the bottom of the spring since it is fully enclosed by the magazine walls and cannot be lowered past the lips on the bottom of the magazine. IMHO, this is a very poorly designed magazine. Bummer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
they come apart. Small screwdriver to push down on the tab inside the plastic finger extention. Plastic should slide off towards the front. Same small flat tip at the squared side of the bottom plate. pry towards the rounded side and watch what you are doing. don't pull it out too fast. the bottom plate will slide off with the spring attached. Clean then put back together. Miserable the first time if you have never dont it before, but it DOES come apart.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts