Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello got my pt111 g2 a few months ago and love the gun so far, No issues shoots great very good Pistol i prefer it over my glock 26. only negatives i have is trigger and plastics sights. the front sight was loose right out of the box and would not tighten down as the plastic was stripped. I Know glock front sights can be made to fit but has anyone ever figured out something for rear sights yet?

As far as the trigger it was horrible, gritty and the S/A was actually heavier then the D/A. I stripped it down and polished every contact surface, stoned and polished the D/A sear and S/A sear got it down to both at 4lbs and smooth. I have figured out why the S/A is soo heavy, the rear sear for it is on a slotted groove so as the trigger is pulled back it actually is pulling back and down on the striker sear. If i had a spare sear i would try to shorten the leading edge to get a quicker cleaner break. but do not want to alter mine as of now. Also wondering if anyone else has Experimented with the sear and what the results were?

So basicly i am wondering have we gotten any rear sights yet and is the single action trigger pull salvageable?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I just bought the G2 based on the reviews I read and the 199.99 price. Really like the concept of this pistol. small 12 in a small package. most all of the reviews mention a light crisp trigger. Not so with the one I received. I did manage to polish the sear on the firing pin with not much success. Is there a any tutorial on breaking the G2 down. If I could get the SA trigger pull down to 4 lbs I'd be happy.

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
My trigger seems just fine, but I like a heavy trigger. Anything lighter than "heavy", feels even better to me. My sights were spot on, right out of the box.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I've owned many guns in the past few years, and I have to say that the trigger on MY G2 is my favorite of all my handguns. Maybe you just got some "not-so-good" trigger components ?..

·
Registered
29,861 Posts
Welcome aboard from Florida the "GunShine"state.

State of "1 MILLION 150 THOUSAND" Concealed Carry Licenses and counting!

Over five + decades of shooting I've found the best trigger job is to shoot the living hell out of the gun with a ton of "dry fire" in between the live fire.

It slicks up the action naturally and teaches the shooter a lot about that specific gun.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You are correct Moondawg that usually does it, As of an update its all good now after a lot of rounds and dry firing its pretty nice. like i said it was crap out of the box and cleaning it up helped alot but just have to let nature take its course through wear. I also noticed if anyone wanted to make theirs a DA only all you would have to do is remove the rear sear,spring and pin and reassemble, if that's your kind of thing.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
My 140 G2 trigger feels fine, I'm not expecting it to feel like my 1911. The gritty feeling was gone after I cleaned it the first time, but I basically soaked everything in Hoppe's because the preservative was dried and caked in the tight corners. Then I blasted everything else out with aerosol CLP and the air compressor, then dry lubed all the critical parts and points.

·
Registered
36,082 Posts
A few of my taurus firearms were obviously in storage for a while before bein sold.
As such they had nice brown caked preservative all inside them.
this required a complete (or nearly so) disassembly to remove this hard stuff from the internals, totally different feeling/operating weapon then.
others were not bad but still had the preservative.
I don't know how they come now?
I have heard taurus changed the preservative, even that they now clean weapons that arrive from Brazil?

·
Registered
19 Posts
The trigger pull on my pt111 is pretty bad. The DA pull is 7.5 lbs and the Sa pull is 13 lbs. I am going to send the op a pm and get some more details on how to polish the sear. It appears that there are 3 pins that need to be tapped out from the right side to get the frame out of the grip.

The idea of leaving the sear out and just using DA is better than having a 13 lb pull on the SA. Something has to give.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I couldn't get the front pin out so I could not get the pistol apart. I sent it back to taurus. If it comes back in the same shape I will get a bigger hammer and it will come apart one way or the other.

·
Supporting Moderator
5,349 Posts
Just thought I would put my opinion in, clean it thoroughly, then shoot the hell out of it!
You guys playing with the sear could void your warranty if you screw it up, or worse, make the gun
unsafe for you or people around you.......................
Learn to shoot the trigger that came with the gun, in a self-defense situation, I don't think your thoughts will be
on your trigger pull..................

·
Registered
53 Posts
Welcome aboard from Florida the "GunShine"state.

State of "1 MILLION 150 THOUSAND" Concealed Carry Licenses and counting!

Over five + decades of shooting I've found the best trigger job is to shoot the living hell out of the gun with a ton of "dry fire" in between the live fire.

It slicks up the action naturally and teaches the shooter a lot about that specific gun.
Amen!

·
Registered
17,088 Posts
I'll strip my PT92/99s down without a second thought. I'll polish the trigger pivot bushing, the trigger bar, the hammer spring strut, and the hammer. I've even cut factory hammer springs down to match the Beretta 16# D spring, but I will NOT touch the sear. In front of me right now on my desk I have a 99 tore down to the point that the sear is the only thing left in it...and it's going to stay in it. After everything else, I don't see how working with the sear could make things so much better that it's worth the risk of a major malfunction.

Reactions: rifleshooter

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've found it is quite easy to take apart most actions and do some simple polishing to greatly improve a trigger. If there is any burrs or rough metal work in your action not only does it create less than ideal firing conditions you can expect excessive wear after just a few hundred rounds. I found this to be the case with my Savage 93R 17hmr. The machining was horrid and the trigger sloppy, gritty and heavy. However, some simple polishing and adding a few shims was, in the words of Trump, a HUGE difference.

That being said, I would like to polish some parts on my PT111 G2. However, my trigger housing pin is really tight. I few solid taps with a punch and hammer and it will not budge. Anybody have experience removing these pins? This is my first polymer frame gun so I thought I would ask you if you had the same experience and how you got the pin out.

Thanks for your help!

JinXster

·
Registered
5 Posts
My chief concern is the "long" pull of the trigger and do not know if this is normal. I am use to a shorter pull from applying pressure to actual firing. Can this be shortened?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts