Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just acquired my PT 111 Pro from Academy barely 24 hours ago. In trying to clean off that thick packing grease, I had problems with dis-assembly - the slide was hard to come off. I had to work at it without forcing, by alternatively pulling the slide forward with my left hand and pressing the trigger with my right index finger several times until it completely slid off. I've had to do this several times hoping it would loosen up, but I guess I'll just have to live with this issue and consider it a uniqueness for my gun, assuming I'll keep it. I like the gun. I like the way it feels in my hand. I have yet to shoot it. I've never shot a straight 8 sight, so I don't know what to think of it yet. My biggest concern at the moment is not even the ones I've talked about. The slide catch has very sharp edges. Because I've had to assemble and dis-assemble several times, my right thumb is now raw (from these sharp edges). The manual safety is not like that. It has smooth edges. Is there any way for me to smooth the slide catch edges without ruining it? Is there a way to file the edges smooth? How do you do it? If anyone's had this experience before, I sure would appreciate some advice. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
My missus picked out a PT111 a few months back. It was lightly used and I had a bit of a struggle removing the slide the first time. I learned to give it a bit of a whack and it comes right off. I didn't have any issues with knicking my fingers so don't recall an issue with the slide catch, as you call it. The straight 8s shoot low for almost everybody. Neither I nor my missus could shoot the pistol at point of aim using the straight 8s and I replaced them with Williams Fire Sights. Very easy install and many have done it. The front sight post height is the issue. Some folks have bought the rear sights (3 dot style) from the older generation PT111 and Taurus will sell them to you and they are inexpensive. I like the Williams Fire Sights as they make it very easy to acquire and reacquire a target. After about 500 rounds with no failures, we put the weapon into service as my missus's carry gun. I am currently carrying a PT709. I comes apart much more easily and doesn't print BUT only holds 7+1 where the PT111 carries 5 more rounds.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
I am not familiar with the PT 111, I have the PT 709 but if your talking about the slide release or take down lever it looks like filing
would take the finish off, I would recommend a call to Taurus before I messed up something;;

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Welcome, Arzeel. This is the most popular Taurus forum. We are friendly folks here and many smarter than I who can help you.

The pt111 is a very nice handy gun. Mine has become my daily carry. I'm sorry to read about the sharp edge. And this is on the slide release? Not normal at all. Umm, can you show us a picture?

You're doing the right thing to thoroughly clean it from all that goop. Read the manual and oil it like it says - with Hoppes or Rem oil is fine.

Good luck. When you're ready, go shoot that lovely thing. Then come tell us about it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate the suggestions and quick responses. I'm hoping someone would come up with a practical "fix" regarding my problem with the sharp edged slide catch without my having to call Taurus. Yes, I'm worried about ruining the finish. I'll probably end up calling Taurus anyway. Thank you WiredGeorge, Jimbo and Airwrench and Bre.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yes, Bre, the serrations on the slide lock (lever) catch are sharp edged. Comparing these to the serrations on the manual safety, the manual safety is so much smoother. They don't hurt your hand.

I plan to use my PT 111 to replace my Keltec P3AT which has been my carry weapon for the last 7 years - or at least alternate them.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas where the West Begins..

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Welcome from East Texas to the best gun forum on the internet.

·
Super Moderator
40,412 Posts
Hope it all works out for you, and
from the Florida Keys! :wave:

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Daytona Beach, FL

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
Welcome from Lapeer,Michigan.:wave:

·
Super Moderator
35,570 Posts
Welcome from Northern Illinois!

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Welcome to TA.... I have two PT 111, a PT145 and the 709.. From my experience with these Taurus's I have found that after a few hundred rounds and regular cleanings the slide will release and dis-assemble will be easier. I can release the slide lock and tipping the barrel down and pulling the trigger the slide will almost fall off... Be carefull it actually may fall off... Just a thought, if everything else is clean, oiled and operational fire a few rounds down range... ENJOY your gun and the TA website.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I've had that problem of slide removal with my PT145 and it is a bit abrupt to take off. Once you get it, there should be no need to bother Taurus!
Welcome! And good luck.
Frosty

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you all so much for all the good wishes, welcomes and suggestions. I am so glad I discovered this Taurus Forum and found new friends. I have other guns (other makes) but I love my 2 Tauruses the best. - Arzeeel

1 - 20 of 24 Posts