Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it ok to shoot this stuf in my PT 101P?

Ultramax Bulk .40 S&W 180-gr. Conical-Nose Lead Ammunition with Dry-Box, Handgun Ammunition, Ammunition, Shooting : Cabela's

I shot about 150 rounds give or take and I knew it would be dirty. I wasnt expecting it to look like I was shooting a muzzleloader but oh well.

Anyway, I cleaned the gun and the barrel looked clean. However, I was inspecting it further a few days ago and saw was looks like silver streaks running throw the barrel. From a distance it almost looks like there is aout 8 or so rifling grooves.

Is that just lead? Did I screw up the barrel shooting that stuff?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
PT101P owner here too, but never have used any lead boolits here before. I think I'm sure I haven't. But have used lead boolits on my AK's, .38Spc, .44Spc and never have noticed anything unusual that a good cleaning didn't take care of.

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
I questioned a few people with decades of experience shooting and have been told to simply clean well after use of lead rounds. Use the solvant and brush and move on, there should be no problems.

·
Super Moderator
40,396 Posts
I shoot lead in all my hand guns, .380, .32 S&W L, 9mm, 45acp. No problems that I can see. I am shooting these as target practice/plinking loads not +P loads.

I have read in other places to shoot 5-10 rounds of FMJ after shooting lead, it is supposed to clear out any leading you may have had. Never tried it don't know if it works or not.

·
Registered
29,845 Posts
No lead bullets won't harm your PT101; in the first 200+ years of firearms history that's all that was available.

I'd say about 75% of my shooting is with "hard cast" lead bullets.

Some of the softer swagged lead bullets may leave streaks in a gun with a "rough" bore, but it will clean out.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
I haven't shot any lead ammo for quite some time. But I have the PT101SS,which is several years old.
I shot lots of reloaded lead ammo through it. Usually, after shooting the lead ammo, I would run several
rounds of jacketed ammo through, then a thorough cleaning.

I never had any problems with that pistol, for what it's worth.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. I just thought I'd ask since I read shooting lead in glocks was bad then when I saw my barrel I freaked out a little.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts