Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was at a local Pawn shop today and saw a PT101 .40 S&W. It came with two magazines and the original hard-case. Did not have holster wear it just looked like it hadn't been cleaned. The sticker was $350, then I noticed the screws for the rear sight had been stripped. The rear sight was loose and could not be tightened. He said I could get a set of nights sights but would have to drill the front post?
Since the original sights were no-go's I made him an offer of $300 out the door. He then checked his computer and said...we can do $325 out-the-door. My wife was with me and she said it was up to me. Well I wasn't sure either, how much it would cost to fix the sights on this thing. I am sure they will still accept my offer Monday if he has it, what do you guys think?

This is the exact model, everything was perfect besides the sights...looked like an amateur went at them with a hack saw and striped the screws.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I'm certain a gunsmith could repair the damaged sights but you'd have to factor his cost into the price. I don't know of any gunsmith that would even begin the repair for less than $100 so IMHO, pass on this one and wait for one that has not been dorked up by some stupid redneck who had a few too many Hamns.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Even if you buy it and send it back to Taurus, you gotta factor in shipping and POSSIBLE charge for negligance. Gotta follow your gut here but check internet prices for the same weapon.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its a shame because this would be a beautiful addition to my growing Taurus/Beretta Collection. I already tricked out my wife's PT-92 with some Hogue Grips and Beretta stainless grip screws. I have a Stoeger Cougar 8040 and its awesome it just shoots low because I am not used to the sights yet. Funny thing is I still made a 215 on my CHL range test. I would have loved to carry this its a shame really it is.

·
Registered
13,870 Posts
From the photo it looks like the model maybe a PT-101P which came with the finger groove molded into the metal frame and also has a higher cap magazine.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From the photo it looks like the model maybe a PT-101P which came with the finger groove molded into the metal frame and also has a higher cap magazine.
You would be correct sir, that is why I was still considering the $325 counter-offer...that is out the door including transfer fee and taxes.

·
Registered
13,870 Posts
The original price on these was around $350 plus [email protected] if you will. They are getting a little more difficult to find, but they do appear from time to time. I did see one on GB used in I believe it was the $425 price range, plus shipping and transfer. I purchased mine a few months back in around a 98% condition and gave $350 for it face to face in the box with all papers.
Not knowing how bad the screw maybe stripped (threads or head) there is always a way to find a solution. Can you zero it in and loctite the site screw? There is one thing about it, if you like it and the bug has planted its bite, you may as well do the deed.
Once you get a feel for the grip in your hand, the gun is hard not to like.....just to natural of a fit.

·
Registered
13,870 Posts
Since you have a nice growing collection of Taurus, and you have the Stoeger Cougar 8040 have you looked at the Taurus Pt911 pistols? They are all metal, but in a 9mm round, feel great in the hand and a joy to shoot. Here is a link to one so you can take a gander if you like:
Taurus 9mm PT911 Vertec ty Compact 16 rd 2 Mag NIB : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com

Of course if you like sticking with the .40s&w rounds, you could try for a PT-940. Another nice little all metal pistol that has been discontinued.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
3 or 4 years ago I paid $269.00 or $299.00 for that model with the same formed hand grips at Academy because they were discontinuing that model. Its a much more detailed model that they had back then and I believe its very similiar to the Beretta Elite II and Brigadier models with those formed hand grips.

$325 and some gunsmith work will be worth it IMHO. Push for $300 cash, no tax out the door. Cash always talks.

Here's a pic of mine:

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not knowing how bad the screw maybe stripped (threads or head) there is always a way to find a solution. Can you zero it in and loctite the site screw? There is one thing about it, if you like it and the bug has planted its bite, you may as well do the deed.
Once you get a feel for the grip in your hand, the gun is hard not to like.....just to natural of a fit.
From what I saw and heard the left side screw is the only one that is stripped, the threading is good on both screws. All I need really is a left side replacement screw, couldn't I order one from Taurus?? The sight itself is loose because it cannot be tightened due to the stripped head on the left side. I did do a few magazine changes and to hit the magazine release I have to move my hand to the left side because my thumb cannot reach it otherwise. Another words its a tad big for my medium sized hands.

·
Registered
13,870 Posts
Since no one has mentioned it yet, the magazines can be very difficult to located if you choose to add a few to your collection. Since this was a somewhat limited production pistol, the same limited aftermarket mag story follows it along.

As for the need to move your hand forward to release the magazine, it may feel strange and uncomfortable at this time, but with practice it will all flow together and feel natural....but you are correct, it is a hand full of pistol and the ergonomics are right for some people. I put the Hogue rubber side panels on mine, which make the grip even a tad wider.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
13,870 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
13,870 Posts
Cool, he is only 150 miles North of me, thing is with tax and shipping/FFL Transfers it would be about $400. I am trying to get a low-ball price and usually only Pawn shops do it if your lucky. To them its about numbers, and how much they need to pay their bills for the month.
Long_Shot, just sent you a PM.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts