Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been trying to get used to my PT-100 AF/s. Everything seems to be normal with it, but the accuracy is less than stellar. Where I make one jagged hole groups with my PT-1911, the PT-100 makes a much larger pattern. The barrel lockup seems to be sloppy and I can move the barrel up and down when it's locked up. Function, feed, ejection, all good, but I just can't get over how sloppy the barrel seems to be. Is this a normal situation, since there is no barrel bushing? There doesn't seem to be any wear on the barrel or the nose of the slide. I'm considering having a machinist make a sleeve for the front of the slide with about .002-.004 radial play...but I thought I'd ask about it first.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Not much help but I have a PT92C and it is very tight and very accurate. So I hope one of our PT100 owners will help out.

·
Registered
116 Posts
My son has two PT-100s and both lock up tight with no play when in battery. Just checked my full size PT-92. Same story - zero play when in battery.
Does your locking block show signs of abnormal wear, damage or deformity?

Reactions: jwc007

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks to me like it might be worn out. The notches in the slide do not appear to have any damage, or wear, but the block does. I got a service order from Taurus, this afternoon, now all I need to do is find a reasonable way to ship it

·
Registered
116 Posts
Get a locking block kit for a Beretta 92 from one of the reputable sources. They are the same. Saves time lost messing with "no-parts-for-sale" Taurus.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re Beretta 92 locking block kit: I've been looking at that as an alternative. I have heard they are the same, but numrich lists a different part number for the Beretta and the Taurus.

·
Supporting Moderator
14,822 Posts
I bought a 9 mm barrel with the locking block from beretta. It dropped in, PT 99 it functioned and shot smaller groups. Happy Camper here.
:hand2:
ymmv

·
Registered
116 Posts
I bought a 9 mm barrel with the locking block from beretta. It dropped in, PT 99 it functioned and shot smaller groups. Happy Camper here.
:hand2:
ymmv
My son just did the same with one of his PT 100s. Got it direct from Beretta. Works perfectly.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ordered the kit from Beretta. Latest version, with a new recoil spring. $40...supposed to have it by Thursday...Probably cost less than having the gun shipped off, anyway, with insurance and such. I read that this part is supposed to be replaced every 20,000 rounds, with 9mm. I suppose that would be more often with 180 gr .40 S&W. I will report when I get it. It's not that it's really bad, right now, but I know it should be better. At the same distance, (40 feet) on the same kind of target, I can make a one jagged hole group with my PT-1911, the the PT-100 makes a 2"-3" pattern.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
took the whole thing apart today, in advance of the new parts. There is a lot of air space between the slide and the locking lugs...and that is one tiny roll pin!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The genuine Beretta parts arrived Sat. At first, I thought the locking block wouldn't fit, then I hit the magic combination, and it slid right in. The barrel doesn't move more than a couple of thousandths, now, and it takes a bit of effort to make it move, at all. If all goes well, Monday will be a range trip. Thank you all for the advise, it seems like it really fixed the problem

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went to the range, today. Shooting at 40', this is the first 10 rounds (on the right, the left pic. is the best I ever got before). The two flyers are totally my fault....I am both amazed and elated...now all I need to do is get used to it...it's so different from my 1911s....

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, so I haven't posted about this in a while. Been messing around with it, trying to get it to shoot as consistently as my PT-1911. It's not bad, but it's no target pistol. I had an idea, which I still might try. Drilling and tapping two holes in the front of the slide, either side of the front sight. This would allow me to put in a couple of grub screws that I could then adjust to make sure the barrel always returns to the same spot. Meanwhile, I decided that the Beretta recoil spring from the kit was WAY TOO stiff. It actually slows down the slide. I put the original spring back in, and the action returned to normal. Problem is, there is less down force on the barrel, now, so is it really returning to the correct position? I was going to cut a couple of coils off the Beretta spring and try it, today...then I ran across an old recoil spring from my M-57 Tokarev. Length is right between the Taurus spring and the Beretta spring, and it's a perfect fit...Going to the range later today to test the theory out....and taking the original spring along, just in case...

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I do believe the last piece has fallen into place... I love problem solving, and there is nothing more satisfying than making something do exactly what you want. The Tokarev spring puts just enough down force on the locking block to return the barrel to exactly the same place every time, without effecting the slide function...165 gr. Fiocchi FMJ @ 40'

Attachments

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Have a gun dealer ship your pistol. Did this once and it was $12.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Well, I do believe the last piece has fallen into place... I love problem solving, and there is nothing more satisfying than making something do exactly what you want. The Tokarev spring puts just enough down force on the locking block to return the barrel to exactly the same place every time, without effecting the slide function...165 gr. Fiocchi FMJ @ 40'
That's about the same grouping I'm getting out of my Beretta 92FS. Glad you got it fixed.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, me too. Taurus said they'd fix it under warranty, but it would cost me around $50 for an FFL to ship it...so I decided to try on my own. I do like problem solving...

·
Registered
124 Posts
I had a PT101 that was a maddening problem. Rounds Keyholed, terrible accuracy, FTF, FTE. Sent it back to Taurus, who sent it back to me saying there was nothing wrong with it. I sent it back with targets and photos of the FTF and FDTE. They sent it back saying it met specs. I sent it back with a screaming complaint. It came back with an interesting Work Order: "Action: Replaced Parts." In my estimation, they replaced the barrel. It has been a fine gun ever since . Barrel and some lockwork obviously replaced per work order; “Action: Replaced Parts.”

Send it back. Send it back with pix. Send it back with a screaming complaint. Once they work, they are terrific guns. I've often wondered if it could be rebarreled for 10mm.

·
Administrator
17,584 Posts
I've often wondered if it could be rebarreled for 10mm.
Nope! Not unless you can stretch the rearward portion of the frame to accomodate the much longer 10mm Cartridge, and even if you did, then you would have to custom fabricate a Magazine for it.

If you want a 10mm, consider the EAA Witness.

Reactions: olfarhors
1 - 20 of 21 Posts