Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my PT 100 to the range the other day, once I was all setup, when I pulled the trigger, the hammer fell, but no BANG.
After some inspection by myself and the range master, we decided the firing pin was not working correctly.
Got it home, field stripped it and when I held the block in, and pressed the back of the firing pin, it did protrude through the hole as it should.
Working the block lever, it seem to move OK.
With the slide remove, I pulled the hammer back and could see the block lever rise up, but it seems loose to me.
Not sure where to go from here.
Any suggestions would be greatly welcome.

Thanks,
CJ

·
Registered
794 Posts
Sounds to me like its the firing pin block that's not getting depressed deep enough to allow the passage of the firing pin.

·
8,986 Posts
Welcome to the forum! The frame lever may be a little loose not a big deal. Was there a primer strike on the round you tried to fire? If a light strike you may have debris in the firing pin channel. Search youtube for any of the PT 92/99/100 disassembly videos and remove the firing pin, use a qtip and clean out the channel, also inspect firing pin for a break or flattening. If you aren;t familiar with that kind of task, call around to local gun stores and see if one would be willing to check it out. You also may have bad ammo, did you try more than once with your range ammo? Try another brand.
Other causes could be that the slide did not fully return to battery- keeping the firing pin from being able to reach all the way to the primer. When you loaded a mag into the pistol, did you use the slide stop to release the slide or manually charge it. Sometimes if you manually charge the slide, you may not have allowed it to fully go home. Just some thoughts...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried multiple rounds, from two different mags. There was no primer strike, ran a few tests to see if the pin was coming through, all negative.
I've looked around quite a bit, saw the "How to remove pin" videos, didn't want to get that far into it if I didn't have too, but certainly sounds like where I'm headed.
One of my fist thoughts was the frame lever wasn't coming up high enough, when I did the "slide off/hammer pull back" test, the lever raised, but I could bring it up higher, with my finger tip, but then it just dropped down low again. Can't tell how much it is lifting the block when the slide is on. Guess I'll need to find a way to do that. Or bite the bullet and take it into a shop.

·
Registered
14,131 Posts
Honestly the PT92, 00,100,101, and so on metal pistols are very easy to do a full take down on. Watch and follow a video and go for it. The only thing that really requires any special attention is the release of any springs...those suckers can and will fly into another world to never be seen again. At least not until you are walking around barefooted in the middle of the night and step on it. Not only may you find your problem, but you will gain a whole new appreciation of how the pistol operates. The education is worth the time involved.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,320 Posts
CJ
You didn't give us an idea, as vague as you like, where you are located. There maybe someone close, we are a large and varied community,

Reactions: jonrjen and PTDOUDE

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CJ
You didn't give us an idea, as vague as you like, where you are located. There maybe someone close, we are a large and varied community,
I'm in Palm Beach, FL. I'm sure there on smiths around here that could help me out, and Taurus a couple hours down the road. Thought I'd try here first to see if it might an "Easy fix", but I getting the feeling, it's more involved! ;)

·
Registered
14,131 Posts
I'm in Palm Beach, FL. I'm sure there on smiths around here that could help me out, and Taurus a couple hours down the road. Thought I'd try here first to see if it might an "Easy fix", but I getting the feeling, it's more involved! ;)
I believe he is speaking of there may be a member nearby that may offer to meet you and take a look at your Taurus. Some times a different set of eyes, mindset, and history are a good thing to have on your side. While TaurusArmed is a virtual website, the members are real good folk.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
While TaurusArmed is a virtual website, the members are real good folk.
No doubt there are good people here, one of the reasons I reached out.
If I push the pin block in with my finger or a tool and press on the back of the pin, it will protrude through the hole as it should. So my current thinking is that the frame lever just isn't coming up high enough and firm enough to keep it in position through firing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts