Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a nice PT-100AF/S. I have never wanted a 9mm, but I recently came across a "parts kit" with a complete stainless slide and barrel for a PT-92. Thinking it might be worth the time to see if this will fit my PT-100 frame and let me shoot some 9 without having to buy another pistol in a caliber I don't really want. Anybody know if the barrel/slide is directly interchangeable? I stuck a couple of 9mm rounds I found on the ground at the range, into one of my mags, and they seem to fit ok..Just looking at this as an experiment, since it shoots perfectly with the .40's...

·
Super Moderator
35,573 Posts
I've not heard of it, but if 9mm is a caliber that you don't want why would you spend money to make your pistol shoot them? While the barrel and slide might work, I am pretty sure that the 40 cal mags would have feed lips too far apart to deliver the 9mm rounds to the chamber.

Reactions: Steyr and DA-Auto

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just thinking...sometimes I just like to experiment. I wonder if a 9mm mag would fit in the frame....could be an interesting alternative....mainly just to see if it can be done..

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
I have a PT 100 that was converted to 9 mm for me at the plant in Miami. The gun has a 40 Smith and Wesson slide barrel, a 9 mm slide barrel, and a 22 long rifle slide and barrel.

I think the only other thing that had to be changed or tuned might have been the ejector or or maybe it was the extractor. I don't know, it's been so long I believe I forgot.

I haven't shot the gun in probably 2 or 3 years. I think I have some pictures of the whole conversion on my desktop so when I get by the house I will try to find them and post them for you.

Don

Reactions: Troll

·
Registered
531 Posts
I just did this with my Glock 23. The barrel swap took all of 30 seconds. I was able to use the rest of the pistol as is (slide etc.). It is recommended you use a magazine of the correct caliber matched to the barrel although plenty of people say they use .40 mags. to shoot 9mm in a Glock.

I would be curious why you would need a new slide to do the conversion although it may have something to do with the diameter of the conversion barrel.

·
Registered
36,032 Posts
I've not heard of it, but if 9mm is a caliber that you don't want why would you spend money to make your pistol shoot them? While the barrel and slide might work, I am pretty sure that the 40 cal mags would have feed lips too far apart to deliver the 9mm rounds to the chamber.
I am not sure about that!
CZ now makes one mag (Mec -Gar) that they ship with all their pistols in both 40 S & W and 9 MM. one side is reference marked for the 40 and the other side for the 9 MM and they work flawlessly.
the question may be what quality and tolerance are the Taurus magazines that came with the gun?
NOW I can tell you that a 45 acp 1911 mag will NOT work with a 38 Super 1911----I tried that more than once unfortunately!

Attachments

·
Registered
36,032 Posts
Just thinking...sometimes I just like to experiment. I wonder if a 9mm mag would fit in the frame....could be an interesting alternative....mainly just to see if it can be done..
well I would think the frames are pretty much identical?
I do know that magazines will freely interchange in a 1911 in 9 MM, 38 Super, 10 MM and 45 acp--thats assuming the frame is a Browning type frame as the original Colt was.

·
Supporting Moderator
14,838 Posts
Yes!

Preacher and I did this with his PT 100 and my PT 99 in Rapid City SD a couple of years ago. While we were trying my Taurus 22 LR conversion (92/99/100/101) on his PT 100.
Since then I've been looking for a 100/101 parts gun so I can change to 40 and 357 sig.

Hope this helps

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Might just be worth a try. Thanks for all the information. I think I could gamble $40 for the parts kit....

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I've never considered swapping the slides on mine......

.....perhaps I'll try!

IMG_0720.JPG

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In the end, I decided not to go after the parts kit. I don't really see an actual need (I know, that there is never an actual "need") to have convertible pistol. If, in the future, I decide I HAVE to have a 9mm, I'll consider buying one. In the mean time, I decided to save my meager funds for something different.....possibly a Hakim or a Rasheed....but than I might go after a Garand....

·
21,971 Posts
I would be curious why you would need a new slide to do the conversion although it may have something to do with the diameter of the conversion barrel.
Slide mass and recoil spring weight are the two most important factors in getting the slide to move at the right speed, which is important to getting a semiauto to operate properly. I wonder if the slide weights are the same?

The .40 breech face will be too big for a 9mm, but the chamber should still hold the 9mm centered over the firing pin.

Interesting.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The kit had a complete slide, with barrel locking block, recoil spring..every thing but a frame and mag...but I decided not to do it.

·
Super Moderator
35,573 Posts
In the end, I decided not to go after the parts kit. I don't really see an actual need (I know, that there is never an actual "need") to have convertible pistol. If, in the future, I decide I HAVE to have a 9mm, I'll consider buying one. In the mean time, I decided to save my meager funds for something different.....possibly a Hakim or a Rasheed....but than I might go after a Garand....

I have been intrigued with obtaining a .380 barrel to convert my model 81BB Beretta "Cheetah" from firing .32 ACP to .380. I've decided that if I could get a used barrel for under 80 bucks I would go for it. There were three offerings of a barrel and slide on Ebay yesterday..two of which were Beretta part and the third was a Browning BDA slide and barrel which would work also. They all sold on auction for around 140.00 which is way more than I would want to put out.

It's problematic also in that the frame is still marked 7.62 and if the other barrel were in place, it could lead to issues for someone not familiar with the gun down the line.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Czechbikr, I have both the 81BB & 84BB. The 84 BB barrel is marked "9mm short 380 Auto" on the barrel hood. I looked both over & the recoil spring on the 84 is a little thicker & the guide rod has little "nipple" on the end that meets the barrel. The slide release is different & the notch in the slide is slightly different. The 84 slide assembly fit on the 81, but not visa versa, due to slide release notch. I also tried the 84 barrel & spring in the 81 & it appeared to work. I inserted the 84 mag & ran dummy 8 dummy 380 rounds. It appeared to function w/o problem. Sorry to hijack the thread.

·
Registered
116 Posts
My son just bought two NIB, but older, PT100s from a member here and I have a new (2019) PT92.

We have found that the slides are a bit different. That may be due to the manufacture dates or just the different calibers. Although the frames are exactly the same, including the rails, the 100 slides are a bit wider overall than the 92. That results in the slide lock lever on the 100 being a bit offset to accommodate the wider slide. The 92 slide will fit right on the 100 frame and function normally, but the 100 slide will not go onto the 92 frame due to the lack of offset in the slide lock lever.

Both magazines fit both frames.

HOWEVER, the good news is that a Taurus - or Beretta - 9 mm barrel (PT92) will fit right in the .40 S&W slide (PT100) and vice versa. The recoil springs are the same in both pistols.

It seems that 9 mm barrel and magazine is all that is actually needed to do the conversion. The same should apply if going from 9mm to .40 S&W.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Um huh oh uh try buying a 92 I would spend a lil more yes but that "home kit" by what sounds like the bubbaaintgottaclue inc. might get someone hurt. And ya might want that hand to hold your own beer, just me though I aint an expert

·
Registered
116 Posts
Update to my previous post. Tried the barrel swap. PT92 barrel and magazine into PT100 slide and frame. No other changes. PT100 cycled perfectly shooting 9x19mm Browning 124 grain FMJ target ammo. No issues at all.
Amazing, but Son and I both are still in possession of both hands with all fingers intact.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts