Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am standing on this soap box today to complain bitterly about both my impatience and Palmetto State Armory's lack of the 10.5" 300 Blackout Upper that I require!

I was straddling the fence a little over a month ago as to which barrel length of 300 BO I wanted. I did my homework; checked facts, examined my intended use, and came to the conclusion that a 10.5" barrel would suit my needs perfectly, and I really like the way a 12" slanted rail looks with a flash can peeking out from under it whilst attached to such a barrel. All the while that I was on that fence, PSA had the exact item that I ended up desiring and at a really great price...now, I am committed. I have my Shockwave Blade in hand. I have my lower. I will have the parts kit in hand tomorrow morning and the pistol buffer tube and buffer spring no later than Monday. I have my UTG "Sniper" pistol grip. I have my QD mount backplate; I have a decent red dot...a brass cutting jig...lots and lots of 5.56LC brass to cut...(still need dies but have a good line on relatively inexpensive ammo) and ...now PSA ....HASN'T HAD THAT UPPER IN STOCK FOR MORE THAN A MONTH!!! AAAARRRGGHHH!!!!

·
Banned
4,262 Posts
Amen brother, preach it!!!

Hell yeah!

Seruoiusly I've had some issues with Palmetto in the past, and as of late they (in my limited experience) have been doing much better.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
PSA uppers are pretty affordable, buy a different one until the one you want comes up... then you'll have two... then build another lower... buy another upper, build another lower. It's a never ending cycle.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PSA uppers are pretty affordable, buy a different one until the one you want comes up... then you'll have two... then build another lower... buy another upper, build another lower. It's a never ending cycle.
You, Sir, are an enabler. My Mama warned me about silver-tongued serpents like you! As tempting as it is to do as you advise, I know myself well enough to know that if I buy a "settlement" upper, that I will soon be tossing more $$ at it to make it the upper that I want, and in the end, costing me far more than I intended. If (BIG IF here...I'm riding on borrowed patience here!) I can just wait a little longer, PSA is sure to deliver....and if not...I will embark upon the road less traveled...and most likely less wise...I can put together my "dream" upper for around$380...its a bit more than the PSA upper by $90...and I just keep thinking - that's nearly 250 rounds of 300BO ammo from Rural King! (saves reloading at the onset!)

Reactions: Bellows1

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Strike when the upper is hot....or something like that.
I am now paranoidly checking their site on an almost hourly basis...yesterday, an upper that I do not want came available...and was out of stock a little over an hour later.

·
Super Moderator
37,226 Posts
Reactions: mingaa and Yissnakk

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
I'm with Czechbikr. Is there something that special about the PSA. Prices are low everywhere and I can't imagine you can't find the same configuration. Or just build your own.

Reactions: mingaa and Yissnakk

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Will PSA accept the order as a back order item? That way you don't have to check all the time and possibly miss out if it sells out so quickly. If it ends up taking too long I would go with the suggestions already made about looking to another supplier.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
A friend gave me a $100 PSA gift card. With in 3 weeks, the items I needed were on sale, so I order them and tried to pay with the gift card. It took 3 weeks, 4 emails, 6 phone calls, and 3 replacement gift card numbers before PSA would accept that gift card. And then they refused to honor the sale price of the items I needed.
PSA has low prices but I learned a valuable lesson about their business ethics.

·
Registered
15,147 Posts
I think this is pretty straight forward. If they have something you want at a price you want, buy it. If it's not in stock, go elsewhere. It's clear they don't want their customer's money. The Problem PSA has, as do a vast many number of retailers is they grow exponentially in customer base without an equal growth in resources (whether supply or employees). Think of the 22LR shortages a couple of years back. It took the manus more than a year to jump on the bandwagon and ramp up production. In the mean time customers were getting raped over prices ( a brick of 500 22LR was going upwards of $150). Other manufacturers of 22 LR ramped up their production and were able to easily profit from the panic. Many brands started showing up that were less well known and they started getting the lions share of sales.
If you absolutely want or need something now, buy it from someone who has it in stock and can confirm they do.

Reactions: Yissnakk

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In order - the PSA item is special (for me) because it has a 12" slanted keymod/M-Lok hand guard and a flash can preinstalled. The hand guard is really just preference but the flash can is pretty important to redirect both the gasses and the repercussion downrange (plus, I like the look of the can peeking out from the hand guard...). It also ships (shipped, at least) with a BCG-CH for $299.

After hunting all over, to get the same item put together, I'm looking at $345 (with the slanted hand guard) and $320 with a regular hand guard. (not a ton of difference).

With the JoeBob I end up at $294 as is with a standard birdcage muzzle device and a CH, and ordering the BCG from somewhere like Primary or PSA for $69. It's $30 more for a flash can.

The final consideration is that I probably won't get a chance to actually shoot the thing for at least another month, due to the weather, so it's really just a battle of me vs. being impatient...a character flaw, I'm sure :D .

I've never had a gift-card or coupon for PSA so I really couldn't answer that one, but when I had a messed up detente on my AR10 take-down pin, I called them up, had to wait about 20 minutes to get a human, then chatted for a couple of minutes. I had an entire new set of take-down pins, springs, and detentes a couple of days later. Otherwise, I've purchased quite a bit from them and haven't had any issues with their products.

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Get your dies and a jig for your saw and start chopping and forming the brass. That'll keep you busy until the deal that you seek surfaces -- and it WILL surface, PSA or elsewhere.

*put out a call for under spec length .223/5.56 brass - there is a ton of it around. Maybe you have that covered at > 1.750" —
pay postage or swap for it ;)

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Get your dies and a jig for your saw and start chopping and forming the brass. That'll keep you busy until the deal that you seek surfaces -- and it WILL surface, PSA or elsewhere.

*put out a call for under spec length .223/5.56 brass - there is a ton of it around. Maybe you have that covered at > 1.750" —
pay postage or swap for it ;)

I like your thinking :)!

(of course, the minute I invest in the saw and dies, they'll get the upper back in stock...just my luck :p)

Reactions: mingaa

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On the bright side, my LPK, Shockwave Blade, and buffer tube all showed up today!

·
Super Moderator
37,226 Posts
I've gotten two complete lowers from PSA, the pistol for my 300 BLK and carbine for the 300 BLK. I also snagged a great deal on once fired 5.56 from them - 700 pcs for 57.00 delivered. I've always gotten good service from them.

Reactions: Yissnakk and mingaa

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I like your thinking :)!

(of course, the minute I invest in the saw and dies, they'll get the upper back in stock...just my luck :p)
WELL - it's a lot like making the bus appear by lighting a cigarette - I had a friend who SWORE by that one!!! ;)

·
Super Moderator
37,226 Posts
WELL - it's a lot like making the bus appear by lighting a cigarette - I had a friend who SWORE by that one!!! ;)

In ancient times when I smoked and it was permitted in restaurants it was the certain way to make the food appear from the kitchen.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Yissnakk - do it — but just don't inhale and you'll have that upper before you know it!!!!

Reactions: Yissnakk and darbo

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
They have always been a goof choice for me.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts