Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been eyeballing, reading reviews, watching Youtube reviews, etc., etc. on the TCP 738 .380 Auto and have been waiting for just the right time to make that purchase with full wifey approval at that! lol

Today was that day! I had sold our old tractor mower on Craigslist at her urging and thus bought myself the right to buy this gun. :)

I phoned my nearest Academy and they just got a few off the truck this morning, a $199 black FS, an all white shiny model for well over $300 and an SS model over $300 as well. I had already sold myself on the $199 model and snatched it right up. Unfortunately, they were out of the .380 ammo that they typically stash for gun buyers. I'm sure my nearby range will have some though.

I also picked up a spare magazine. They didn't have a Taurus OEM in stock for the 738, but they had ProMag. I bought one for $19.99, but found that it does not fit nicely in the gun and does not eject out well either. Taking that back tomorrow and either ordering or waiting for a Taurus OEM magazing to be on the safe side. The magazine that came with the gun snaps in nicely and shoots out with that spring at full force!

But back to the 738 though... wow what a beauty! Can't wait to fire her! I cleaned up the factory goop (wasn't really that bad - I think Academy gun desk folks got to it before I did). And it looks so new and ready to break-in!

Oh yea... here's my Photo Album in the Gallery.

Already had a couple of accessories waiting for her arrival.
DeSantis "Nemesis" pocket holster & a Pearce Grip Extender.
Man... I'm such a geek! :rolleyes: :cool:

Gun Handgun holster Starting pistol Revolver Carbon

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Congrats on the purchase! I cc my 738 everyday and love it. I believe you will as well. Great little gun! Think about the Pearce extension makes it more comfortable to shoot.

Reactions: Zenmag

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea nut016, I had a Pearce grip waiting for this day. I have moderately large hands and while it doesn't necessarily give me a solid pinky rest, it does make the grip with two fingers (and the pinky going under) very much more secure feeling. I will experiment with trying to keep the pinky on top, but I think the more natural grip will prevail.

I am now certain to get my CHL. The nearby indoor range does it for $69 with $10 discount if you bring cash! At $69, that's already $30 less than the going price here in the Houston area. I will do this a bit later in the year.

Ran the serial number at Taurus' site and it is a D - series BTW. Nice - n -new. Gotta love that too.
SEARCH RESULTS
Your Model Is 1-738031FS
Production Year 2013

Reactions: nut016

·
Super Moderator
40,690 Posts
Congrats, my TCP gets a lot of carry time.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Congratulations on your new firearm.

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
Definitely worth the money - congrats!

·
Registered
24,940 Posts
Congrats on your new gun.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Congrats on the purchase of a fine weapon. I love my TCP738 and I am betting you will too. They shoot great and conceal very well. It and my 709 handle all my carry needs. Let us know how she shoots when you get to the range.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I won't be able to get to the range until next week sometime. So busy this week, but glad to have squeezed in the purchase! I'll definitely report back with my first range experience. Thanks for all the encouragement! I think it's going to be fast favorite!

·
Registered
796 Posts
I have the same TCP (C series) and the same DeSantis holster. While I don't have the grip extension, I HAVE added a Pachmayr slip on grip which really helps. I really like the holster for pocket carrying as it stays put nicely when the gun is drawn.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Congrats on the new arrival! I did exactly as you adding the Pierce extension but I also added a rubber grip as well. It really made more of a comfort difference than expected. Really smoothed out the feel when firing! I don't have a CHL yet but it's next on the agenda so mine rests neatly in the side compartment of my car door. It looks fantastic there. Hey, that's a great price on the CHL. Mind if I ask where. Best price I've found is $75 so far.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Zenmag, might you be going to Tactical for your CHL class? I too have large hands and besides the Pearce extentions, I also added this; it is the Pachmayr Tactical Grip. Makes for a comfortable grip and a non slip surface. I picked mine up at Amazon for I think about $12

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great minds think alike eh? I received my Pachmayr grip a few days ago and it fits like a glove... er... a sock! Love it!

I also went ahead and took a chance on a pair of Garrison Grips which are a tad longer than the Pearce Grips. They showed up today and fit the magazine perfectly - but more importantly, actually allow my moderately large hands to get a full grip, including a comfortably solid pinky hold.

Still no range time yet. Visited the Rocky Mountains the past 3 days for my birthday, so no ammo snagged (have to wait until a Saturday morning)... but plenty of near nose bleeds! lol

Reactions: nut016

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Great minds think alike eh? I received my Pachmayr grip a few days ago and it fits like a glove... er... a sock! Love it!

I also went ahead and took a chance on a pair of Garrison Grips which are a tad longer than the Pearce Grips. They showed up today and fit the magazine perfectly - but more importantly, actually allow my moderately large hands to get a full grip, including a comfortably solid pinky hold.

Still no range time yet. Visited the Rocky Mountains the past 3 days for my birthday, so no ammo snagged (have to wait until a Saturday morning)... but plenty of near nose bleeds! lol
Yep the grip sock makes a big difference for me. Are you going to Tacical Arms inn Katy for you CHL class? If so, it is a great choice. Took mine there for the same deal you're talking about. John, the instructor is great. Would highly recconmend his class. Very informative

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yep the grip sock makes a big difference for me. Are you going to Tacical Arms inn Katy for you CHL class? If so, it is a great choice. Took mine there for the same deal you're talking about. John, the instructor is great. Would highly recconmend his class. Very informative
Why yes in fact, Tactical Arms. It's funny that I have to go to a range when I live in the country now, but my neighbor has a gun shy dog, so I limit my at home practice to airguns (but I have a couple of great adult pellet guns). But I like Tactical Arms. Used their range twice so far. I will be going there for my CHL sometime probably nearer the fall than in summer - not sure just yet.

I've been impressed with my visits there, the knowledge some of the folks there have and the things I've read about them online. Including your recommendation! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Kewl!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts