Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The "How often do you clean your EDC" thread got me on another topic I've been meaning to ask and I didn't want to high jack his thread.

Do y'all use any kind of protective oil or Teflon spray to keep body sweat off your piece?
Or is the yellow rag good enough?

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When not sitting in front of a computer on TA.net at work I'm running deliveries, cutting meat or catering and I've noticed a distinct color variation on my Sig. It's a different color where the holster protects it and where it doesn't. I cleaned it Sunday and sprayed it with Rem-Oil which has Teflon in it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I wipe my guns (even the SS ones) with Eezox dry lube. It is one of the better lubes (dry) and metal protectors. It dries, well ... DRY! ... and leaves a thin film on the surface which keeps the metal protected. A heckuva good lubricant and cleaner, too. It's about all I use for everything.

·
Registered
24,854 Posts
I wipe mine down with a silicone cloth every once in a while

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
I switched to Frog Lube on my carry guns. I like that it leaves a dry surface that won't stain. In the humid seasons, I do a wipe-down
at least once a day. I love the stuff (except for the price).

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I always wear a tee under my shirt to avoid the sweat issue, but still use spray about every week or 2.

Reactions: Texheim

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I always wear a tee under my shirt to avoid the sweat issue, but still use spray about every week or 2.
I wear a T too to stop direct skin/gun/holster contact but y'all don't understand the Texas heat!

·
10,379 Posts
I wipe mine down with an oily cloth (TriLube, also has a mild cleaner in it) every night when it gets put up for the night. I just keep an old dishrag in a ziploc with some oil on it. Doesn't have to be dripping, just enough to get rid of the sweat and dust.

I learned that lesson the hard way a couple summers ago when I went for a couple weeks without wiping it down...next thing I know the safety and slide release are showing some surface rust...thankfully it wiped right off with a good cleaning.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I wear a T too to stop direct skin/gun/holster contact but y'all don't understand the Texas heat!
I do understand.......South Carolina here......but my guess is that you still have it worse........8)

Reactions: Texheim

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Frog Lube convert here as well. But Tex brings up a good point - even though I wear an undershirt, it soon becomes the same as a salt-water soaked rag about half the year down here.

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here are a couple of thoughts.

1. A holster that covers all the metal parts on the skin side.
2. Spray clear cote on the metal.
My Old Faithful will be here Saturday.

·
Super Moderator
40,640 Posts
I am a sweater and living in the Tropics does not help. I wipe mine down often and do not use anything special. I have not had a rust problem yet.

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
The "yellow" rag is sufficient for me. My summer time IWB holsters are either Remora with full sweat shield or Kholster Crescent or Little Moon with backside treated with Mink Oil - no part of my carry sees sweat. I also tend to OWB more in summer w/tee tucked and long tail shirt untucked, so no sweat. My DeSantis Sof-Tuck is now only used in winter. And, of course, I'm converting all my pistols slowly, but surely, to Frog Lube.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I understand this Texas heat! I went out to the car yesterday to find the temp gauge setting on 116! I had to change the stock screws out on my 92 for SS ones because they started rusting :mad:

·
Registered
29,957 Posts
Corrosion is always a problem in the hot, humid, salt sea air environment I live and work in.

That's why 99% of my guns are "stainless steel".

Preventive Maintenance is soooo much easier!

If the daily carry piece only gets wiped down once every couple of weeks with Breakfree CLP, it's not biggie.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I carry a Glock, so I don't think about it much.

Reactions: jimbo44

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
I always wear a tee under my shirt and wipe down nightly
jhp

1 - 20 of 21 Posts