Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting the cartrage laser bore sight for our 2 357s that. Is this a good investment for sighting in new guns?? Enquiring minds need to know.. :) What do you handgun experts thing. Don`t hold back, let me have it .

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
A bore sight is good for getting you on the paper, but you're still going to have to finish adjusting the old fashioned way to get it in the 'X' ring. On long guns I don't even use my laser bore sighter - I just sight through the barrel (which is where the term came from), and adjust my optic to match. Then it's off to the range for paper punching and fine adjustment. Works just as well as a laser or optical bore sight.

A bore sight might save you some time on a revolver or other gun that doesn't allow you to look through the bore, but don't expect to be able to zero a scope with one. They're for getting you on the paper - and sometimes they're worth the relatively small expense just for that.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
The bore sight I use sets you up for dead on iron sights at 25 yds and scoped at 100 yds. Works real well. Most of my rifles on need a click or two of adjustment before its dead on. Keep that in mind if you are shooting it in at less than what is specified. Plus I only use it one my punishing rifles (300 WM and 500 S&W). Don't use it on anything else because it just gives me a reason to shoot

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Here's a couple things to remember about laser bore sights. Light travels in a straight line, and bullets fly in an arc and you'll sometimes get spin drift. A bore sight shows you where the barrel is pointing, not necessarily where the round is going.

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
A bore sight is good for getting you on the paper, but you're still going to have to finish adjusting the old fashioned way to get it in the 'X' ring. On long guns I don't even use my laser bore sighter - I just sight through the barrel (which is where the term came from), and adjust my optic to match. Then it's off to the range for paper punching and fine adjustment. Works just as well as a laser or optical bore sight.

A bore sight might save you some time on a revolver or other gun that doesn't allow you to look through the bore, but don't expect to be able to zero a scope with one. They're for getting you on the paper - and sometimes they're worth the relatively small expense just for that.
^^^
That.

I only have one bolt-action rifle, so a laser bore sighter handles the others. I've never used one on my handguns; I just start shooting at seven yards, adjust as needed, then 15, adjust as needed, then 25 (this last only when I'm living in my fantasy zone).

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I use them all the time for both rifles and pistols. They work fine but as others have said they just get you on the target before you have to do the final sighting in. They do save some time and frustration though. One thing I do when using them is when I get the initial point of aim where I want it, I take it out, rotate it 90 degrees and put it back in just to check that the result is repeatable.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I DID try a modest-cost bore sighter for my AK when I first got it. Bought one from Amazon for about $15. Waster of $$$$$

I worked, to a degree, but the power was only enough to illuminate at 25 yards, beyond that I couldn't see it. (Could actually JUST make it out at 25.) It DID, in all fairness, get me on the paper with my Red Dot sight at that range, but from then on it was the old fashioned way.

they guy at the range offers a $10 bore sighting service, and I should have just gone with that. The key thing is the laser power. Unless you pay some substantial bucks, you're limited to short range.

·
Registered
19,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey thanks for all of the answers and replys. I will risk going with the laser bore sight, not a big expense. Thanks again

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
All else fails, makes a great cat/dog toy for you

1 - 11 of 11 Posts