Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. So what is the best way to break in my new 608? This is my first revolver.... 6.5 inch barrel fresh out of the box.
Thanks

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Clean all the gunk off of it. That stuff is not regular lube. It is a preservative that is similar to cosmoline. After you have done that then start shooting it and having fun with it. I usually like to put about 4-500 rounds before I consider a gun broken in. Don't know how doable that is considering the present situation we're in.

·
Registered
34,139 Posts
Hi folks. So what is the best way to break in my new 608? This is my first revolver.... 6.5 inch barrel fresh out of the box.
Thanks
Make sure you pull the side cover and clean inside the gun as well. Pay attention to the screws and make sure they go back into the same holes they came out of also. Spray the internals with Gun Scrubber or something similar, let it dry and then lube it before you put the cover back on. Once it's clean and lubed, take it to the range and run a few hundred .357 mag rounds through it! You'll probably need to clean it after 150 -200 rounds. Otherwise the build up crud may cause the cylinder to bind a bit. Keep it clean and lubed and it will run like a dream. I've been shooting mine for several years and enjoy it a lot!

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your new firearm.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great. Thanks.
Yeah I hear ya. I put an order in for some Golden bullets end of last summer....still waiting. Luckily I have a good supplier of 9mm out of Alberta and a guy in BC seems to have a steady supply of .357 but not sure how long that's going to last. Oh well I'm sure it will all calm down soon enough.
Thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
Can't add anymore than what was said already (I pretty much used BigSkiff's method,almost to the letter with mine),but welcome from eastern TN. The 608 is a great gun,fun to shoot,love mine!

Reactions: leejack

·
Registered
160 Posts
Sorry guys but I have to disagree. I think that's way overkill for a revolver breakin. The cleaning I agree with. But I think a few hundred rounds of 357 goes overboard. You can do the same breakin with 100 rounds of 38sp, a couple hundred dry fires with snap caps, Then test with 357 for function under more pressue. If you are talking about practice to get familiar with a unfamiliar gun that's a differant story.
Make sure you pull the side cover and clean inside the gun as well. Pay attention to the screws and make sure they go back into the same holes they came out of also. Spray the internals with Gun Scrubber or something similar, let it dry and then lube it before you put the cover back on. Once it's clean and lubed, take it to the range and run a few hundred .357 mag rounds through it! You'll probably need to clean it after 150 -200 rounds. Otherwise the build up crud may cause the cylinder to bind a bit. Keep it clean and lubed and it will run like a dream. I've been shooting mine for several years and enjoy it a lot!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I like the looks of the 608. Do you guys recommend this revolver? I have 2 617 ss & blue, & really like it!

·
Banned
15,276 Posts

Follow his advice and you will have no problems unless something brakes.
welcome.gif From Northeast Florida!

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Welcome! Shoot the heck out of it. Every gun I've ever owned got better with use.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Absolutely! It's reliable, a good fit for my hands, has very little recoil, and is about as good looking as you can get!
Thanks! I just placed a 608 6.5inch barrel on layaway! I just had to do my home work before I took the plunge! This will go well with my two S&W 629, 4" & 6".

·
Premium Member
10,104 Posts

Really like those Hogue grips BigSkiff. I ordered a set of Rosewood Big Butt grips for my 608 a couple of weeks ago. Hogue said 45 days to ship them as they are special order.

·
Registered
29,957 Posts
Welcome aboard from Florida the "GunShine" state. :icon_ lala:

State of over "1 MILLION 120 THOUSAND" Concealed Carry Licenses and counting.

Best way to break one in?

Shoot the living hell out of it; as in hundreds of rounds.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
How to break in a 608 ?/

Send it to me with a case of ammo...she will be broke in...yep...no charge....

Glad I could help....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts