Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could not come up with a real good title for this post but here is the question.I was tought when shooting a rifle or shotgun that the way to properly mount it was to bring it into the pocket of the shoulder , pull it in tight and place your head down (wood to wood ) and get a good sight and picture allignment.This must be old school now as with more video of combat troops , police ,and AK sport shooters seem to have the stock everywhere but the above mount. My AK experience is the M16 so when did things change?

·
Registered
27,113 Posts
I'm sorry but I can't help it...
Shoulder mount is a taxidermy term. A shoulder mount is commonly used for whitetails, not civilians, but I have this image for you...
View attachment 24134
I looked for one with the 3 stooges, but I couldn't find it.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I don't know what rifleman-ship is like in the military these days, but when I was at Fort Benning back in '89, they were starting to let the shooter break standard form as long as he was able to effectively and accurately hit his target. Plus, new things are learned all the time anyway, so hopefully some of the new adaptations make for better shooters/accuracy. BTW, does anyone who is either in service or has attended basic training in the last five years or so have any light to shed on this?

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
I've heard the placement of a rifle/carbine buttstock you see used by current US soldiers is due to the body armor. I wonder if that is true.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
With current body armor, the IOTV, it is very easy to get a good deep pocket for the buttstock. This is even easier with a plate carrier.

I don't know what pictures you have seen, but I shoot the same with or without body armor, buttstock in the shoulder pocket, cheek to stock, nose to charging handle.

·
Registered
262 Posts
With current body armor, the IOTV, it is very easy to get a good deep pocket for the buttstock. This is even easier with a plate carrier.

I don't know what pictures you have seen, but I shoot the same with or without body armor, buttstock in the shoulder pocket, cheek to stock, nose to charging handle.
+1 for me.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I had an old M16A2 and I can tell you that wearing a vest with plates that rifle is a bear to maneuver around and sight in with it in your shoulder. I often wish we could put collapsible butt stocks on them. The twenty inch barrel was fine, but trying to shoulder that full length stock in full armor was PITA.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts