Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've shot nearly 200 rounds through my Taurus PT 1911, and I've also field stripped it and reassembled it! It wasn't too hard to put back together. I have purchased two additional Kimber brand magazines to go with my Taurus.

I have a small problem. Ammunition doesn't seem to be loading properly in my gun. If I load the magazine with 8 loads, it tends to have a problem loading the first bullet, as it gets jammed, and the bullet does not feed into the magazine properly, when I release the slide stop. This tends to happen with both hollow point, and regular bullets. When I only load 5-7 bullets in the magazine, all first time rounds fire properly, and feed properly. When I've held down the slide stop and upon releasing the slide, the bullet also jams. Maybe I am not cocking the slide correctly, or is there a problem with the way my gun is working. It has NEVER jammed after the first bullet... It ejects the cartridge, and reloads the next round just fine. It's only been the first round that has been the problem.

Second, upon disassembling my gun I noticed on the interior of the slide some of the finish has worn away, already... For me, that's to be expected. However, there is slightly tapered a edge on one side of the slide (that is barely noticeable), but looks like the metal has been scraped away just a bit. Again, this is barely visible, but is this type of wear to be expected? It's on the internal side of the slide. It looks kinda like when you take a pocket knife and peel away on the sharp edge of the desk or something, except this is super small, and barely noticeable, really!

What type of normal wear is to be expected, and what is abnormal? I may take the gun to a gunsmith, just to make sure things are looking good. When it comes to reliability, I'm a little concerned. I'm wondering if I should just load each magazine with 7 rounds? Is there any resources that shows various ways of properly loading and reloading the gun when shooting, etc?

Thanks... Sorry for the lengthy inquiry!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Re: A Few Questions, Proper Loading, Wear & Tear, Etc...

As for the jamming I would recommend loading your mags and let them sit for awhile. It's worked for me in the past. I think sometimes the mag spring pushes to hard on the round.

With out actually looking at the slide I can't say much. Finish wear is to be expected seeing that the finish is junk.

·
Registered
276 Posts

Hi Cowlishaw, welcome to the forums!

Are you using the Kimber mags, or the factory mags? If you have other mags give them a try and see if the problem persists. Also, check over the slide and look for any burrs or pitting that could cause the slide to move across the frame roughly and that might be responsible for the tapering you have noticed. Otherwise, the tapering could be a tooling mark and wouldn't be a show stopper.

I suspect it is the magazines, so try swapping them out.

·
Registered
54 Posts

i am no gun expert but i had the same problem and i made sure when i put the clip in i smacked it up into handle and then cocked it back seems to be work so far for me....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I've got some pictures of the slide, where the tapering is occurring... What do you think?

Here's some pictures of the internal part of the slide:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Thanks for the pictures. I wouldn't think that tappering is a problem unless there is a burr or defect on the frame that caused it to begin with, which I doubt since we would see it happening along the length of where the burr or defect meets the slide when it is moving back and forth. That looks like it could be a tooling mark to me.

The wear you are seeing in the finish is absolutely normal for the PT1911. The finish, quite honestly, is poor. Some of us have refinished our PT1911s to improve the gun's appearance and durability.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts