Taurus Firearm Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
But, do you carry a SA revolver for self defense in public? By circumstance I have and a cap and ball .44 at that, but I don't make a habit of it. My 9s carry a few more rounds, if nothing else.
Nope, not on purpose.

The Single Action revolver slipped into obsolescence as a primary self defense tool over 100 years ago. I've got plenty of more appropriate designed pistols to use in that role.

If it's that I had handy, I wouldn't feel under armed. Over 20 years of shooting and competing with the things gives me a certain level of comfort in my ability to run one under stress- but doesn't mean that I'm going to set out intentionally to use one in that role.

Reactions: 230JHP

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
But, do you carry a SA revolver for self defense in public? By circumstance I have and a cap and ball .44 at that, but I don't make a habit of it. My 9s carry a few more rounds, if nothing else.
No sir, I do not. I carry a double action revolver. In the near future, I can see changing back to a semi-auto - .45 with a double-stack magazine that holds 13. :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have an ruger old army, this is whats said about the transfer bar. I am not sure what they mean by the notches unless its simular to NAA mini revolvers where there is a notch you lay the hammer on in between cylinders for safety.
Unlike the Blackhawk, the Old Army did not make use of Ruger's transfer bar safety; instead the revolver relied upon a series of safety notches between each chamber on the cylinder like some models of the remington/colt or other black powder revolvers of the mid-19th century had.[1]

·
Super Moderator
34,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I have an ruger old army, this is whats said about the transfer bar. I am not sure what they mean by the notches unless its simular to NAA mini revolvers where there is a notch you lay the hammer on in between cylinders for safety.
Unlike the Blackhawk, the Old Army did not make use of Ruger's transfer bar safety; instead the revolver relied upon a series of safety notches between each chamber on the cylinder like some models of the remington/colt or other black powder revolvers of the mid-19th century had.[1]
The notches are between each chamber. You lower the hammer nose on a notch for carry, allows for safe loaded carry with all chambers loaded. It's just like the 1858 Remington. My Colt Navy has a dimple and hole arrangement to allow for loaded carry. Yeah, the NAA cartridge guns have notches, too. Stupid thing, the BP NAA companion/super companion doesn't have 'em. Not enough room, I guess.

·
Registered
17,044 Posts
Why would I carry a SA revolver that I couldn't carry fully loaded with the hammer down? That's like buying a car with a V-6 engine and pulling one plug wire off. I saved time and bought a 5 shot mini revolver and carry it fully loaded with the cylinder set between rounds.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts