Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering, is there a proper break in method or routine for a taurus handgun? I dont want to spend alot of money and just do somethign to screw it up.

Still, everyone says muzzleloaders need to be seasoned to be accurate, but i never seasoned them at all, but i get excellent accuracy all day long.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hello, and welcome.

Far as I know a gun is not like an automobile or airplane engine...you don't need to break-in a journal or set of piston rings followed by a fresh oil change.

A gun should be ready to shoot right out of the box with no break-in. At least that is my opinion.

Begin test firing with some moderate loaded ammunition, nothing real hot until you can adjust to the gun's shooting characteristics by getting use to it.

Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.

TB C45

PS

If any break-in were to happen, it would be the internal parts would wear into perhaps a smoother working order...if anything. As far as the gun shooting true...it would be up to the mfg. of the piece.

·
Registered
959 Posts
~This Is Pretty Standard Factory Recommendations~
Normally you figure 200 copper jacketed Bullets down the Tube for Steel Barrels, and 500 for Stainless Steel Barrels (Stainless is Tuff~Its all that extra nickel & cromium in the mix) ... Brass Brushing ether of them every 50 rounds... Now the Barrel is properly burnished from shooting, brushing, and cool-downs... The Barrel is now Seasoned, and will be as accurate as it will ever be...
OR
Gun Barrel Break-In Procedure
http://www.eabco.com/Reports/BarrelBreakIn.htm

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
There are different schools of thought on proper barrel break in for guns and really no set standard for the method. Some people think you should shoot ten rounds and clean the barrel, do that for fifty rounds and call it good. Other people recomend you just clean it after you shoot a box through it. Others say don't do anything. There is a break in period for most guns but to be totally ******* about it "The steel don't know the difference anyhow." If you maintain your gun properly you are doing more than the next guy. When I broke in one of my AR's I just shot a couple boxes through it and cleaned it. The next AR however, I followed the Olympic arms websites guidelines and did this long drawn out process of shooting and cleaning that took about an hour to break it in. You know what the difference was? Nothing, Nada, Zilch. The two AR's shot just about the same.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I strongly suspect breaking in a barrel to shoot is a fallacy. Steel barrels are steel barrels, would you expect the rifling to wear down so it will shoot better. If it keeps on wearing down every time you shoot it, pretty soon you won't have a good barrel for your bullets diameter.

Think about it.

TB C45

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've never had a revolver from new, so I guess I've never heard of breaking one in. My 1911 and my PT145 however I ran 250 rounds through to make sure all was well, then it went into my carry rotation.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I JUST GOT OFF A FORM WERE THIS WAS ALSO ASKED.

all kinds of answers there,

Mine is still the same, NEW GUN i go out ASAP and make sure it goes bang, if it does IM ready to put it to work, IM still going to run a few hundred rounds out it for 2 reasons. First one is to make sure it keeps going bang, 2nd I like to SHOOT GUNS. ;D

keep in mind just because it will fire every time you need to see how it hits paper.

My daughter just bought a CHARTER ARMS 22MAG pathfinder. We put 30 rounds through it first day just to make sure it worked. Next week we went to the range and shot some paper, guess what it is key holing about every 9 rounds. this is from 20 feet also. :mad:
Tried 3 different brands ammo and still the same, so now looks like it is going to the doctor. :(

FYI ,just because the gun fired does not mean it is working proper :rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts