Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I own four Promag magazines and three of the four feed and eject just as they should. The other does not drop free from the mag well and needs to be stripped by hand. So what I did was inspect the magazine for burrs or imperfections of some kind and noticed there was a spot toward the top, near the front of the feed lips. I stripped it down with sandpaper to remove the bump, polished it with 800 grit sandpaper to smooth it out and then refinished it. Guess what? I take the magazine out of the oven after letting it cool for an hour or so and it still doesn't drop free. I emailed Promag to get their input (even though I'm 150% sure that I've voided my warranty for this mag) and I'll wait to here back from. Unless they tell me to send it to them and they'll echange it, I do plan on keeping it but it will be a target only mag. It feeds fine, it just won't drop on it's own. SO, what I suggest YOU do if you encounter this is to just send it back for a refund or replacement. I tried to fix it myself because I didn't want to send it back and wait for a replacement (that and because I have DIY fever) and man, am I regretting that right now. I've read some forums and watched some videos that touch on the drop free issue so I'm apparently not the only one. I will continue to buy the magazines but they're just going to be put through a much more extensive function test before I throw my invoice in the rubbish next time.

UPDATE 4-19-12
So . . . I got my order today (two more 20 round magazines) and neither one of them drop free from the pistol. I will NEVER buy another magazine from Promag. Their customer service basically told me 'oh yeah, sometimes they don't work because we have no quality control' and now I have to waste my money sending these back. Three of the four magazines stick in the mag well when you hit the release. I could have lived with one of them sticking, two would've been bad but this is unbelievable. In almost five years of owning my 92, I've never had this problem with any other magazine.

Just for the hell of it, this is what they look like in the gun. A pair of 35 rounders on the right.

·
Administrator
17,927 Posts
I seriously try to stay away from ProMag Magazines if at all possible. ProMag does make some okay Magazines, but I can typically get good deals on Mec-Gar which have much higher quality, so as to make the ProMags unjustifiable in most cases.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
Wow, a 20 round mag! I wonder if they make them for the PT101s.

Reactions: RRPT92

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I'm with jwc007 on this one. I avoid Promag like the plague since you don't know if you will get a good one or not and then you don't know if they will stay good or not. Yuck. Mec-Gar has never given me any problems and they even make many mags as OEM for lots of companies. Yum.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I used to have a Mecgar 20 rounder and it fit like crap. The universal +2 adapter hangs over the edge of the grip and made it really uncomfortable to hold. It functioned fine though. I thought about buying some of their 18 rounders but from what I've seen, the 18 rounders fit just as poorly. I went with the Promag 20s for less money and more capacity. I guess that was a mistake especially since I've gotten pretty good at grinding the base pads down to a flush fit. I did it with all four of my Promags.

Here is the response I got from Promag's tech support.
"Kellen,

Sometimes our magazines as well as OEM mags will not drop free. This could be a variety of reasons, but i'm willing to bet yours is won't drop due to it being oversized.

Thanks"

Remington is the only company who's actually been of any help when I contacted their customer support. I asked Mossberg a question once about the 930 and never even got a response. I've got a couple more of them on order and I'll know in a few days if they're any good. If not, they'll go back and I'll just buy the Mecgars and grind the base pads down.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So . . . I got my order today (two more 20 round magazines) and neither one of them drop free from the pistol. I will NEVER buy another magazine from Promag. Their customer service basically told me 'oh yeah, sometimes they don't work because we have no quality control' and now I have to waste my money sending these back. Three of the four magazines stick in the mag well when you hit the release. I could have lived with one of them sticking, two would've been bad but this is unbelievable. In almost five years of owning my 92, I've never had this problem with any other magazine.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I seriously try to stay away from ProMag Magazines if at all possible. ProMag does make some okay Magazines, but I can typically get good deals on Mec-Gar which have much higher quality, so as to make the ProMags unjustifiable in most cases.
Totally agree with JW on this one. Promag has a rep for making crap mags. No price is good enough to get me to use them. AND, Mec-Gar is a good aftermarket choice for you pistol. They come stock in my Ruger SR40, and they work great.......

·
Super Moderator
40,554 Posts
I like to pick up after market magazines at the gun show, where I can take the pistol and try them out before I buy them. I have weeded out a few bad ones this way. The only ones I order online or over the phone are factory magazines. I have not had a problem with them yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts