Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked up this baby from my LGS this week, for $160 bones. From the pics you will be able to see why.

mossberg-500-1.jpg

mossberg-500-2.jpg

mossberg-500-3.jpg

mossberg-500-4.jpg

mossberg-500-5.jpg

This HAS to be from one of those "camoflage-in-a-single-can" jobs. You can clearly see where the paint ran on the forend (it did on other places as well). The paint is inside the ejection port, underneath and inside the top. It is in the grooves along the top. They spray painted over the safety. The red dot is now "camo-tactical black and green". As thorough as this job seemingly is, they neglected the magazine-tube underneath the forend. I have shown it with the action opened partway, you can clearly see the line where they stopped.

SO, I will be buying some acetone and some rags, hopefully I can get the paint off the wood parts w/o discoloring it. If anyone here has any helpful tips, by all means, give em to me. I will be posting progression and completed pics as I go.

Whats REALLY funny is that this was bought in Yuma. This camoflage would stand out pretty well in the desert we got going here, lol.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Looks like a fun project! Have fun with it and post pictures...

Reactions: mingaa

·
22,036 Posts
Know what I'd try for the metal parts? Go to a Honda motorcycle shop, and get a can of their "Honda Spray Cleaner and Polish." Amazon.com: Pro Honda Spray Cleaner & Polish 12 oz.: Automotive

I can't guarantee it, but from what I've seen it do on motorcycle parts, I'd bet it will take the paint off, and may not even damage the bluing.

·
Administrator
35,165 Posts
Worst case, you can spray paint it black. Nice find !

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
I need to buy some acetone as I'm in the process of removing epoxy from a blued barrel.

In the meantime, I have used what I have on hand and what has pulled off 95% of the epoxy is DOT 3 brake fluid. I remember using it as a paint remover years ago. The nice thing is, it has not messed with the bluing at all.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I may try the brake fluid trick, the steel seems to clean up pretty easy, but the wood is not letting the paint go silently into that good night.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I picked up this baby from my LGS this week, for $160 bones. From the pics you will be able to see why.

View attachment 106464

View attachment 106465

View attachment 106466

View attachment 106467

View attachment 106468

This HAS to be from one of those "camoflage-in-a-single-can" jobs. You can clearly see where the paint ran on the forend (it did on other places as well). The paint is inside the ejection port, underneath and inside the top. It is in the grooves along the top. They spray painted over the safety. The red dot is now "camo-tactical black and green". As thorough as this job seemingly is, they neglected the magazine-tube underneath the forend. I have shown it with the action opened partway, you can clearly see the line where they stopped.

SO, I will be buying some acetone and some rags, hopefully I can get the paint off the wood parts w/o discoloring it. If anyone here has any helpful tips, by all means, give em to me. I will be posting progression and completed pics as I go.

Whats REALLY funny is that this was bought in Yuma. This camoflage would stand out pretty well in the desert we got going here, lol.
Well - I do not think that you can make it any worse. Flat black would be a big improvement IMHO!!

·
Super Moderator
40,475 Posts
I would love to know the back story on that shotgun. Looks like a good deal and a fun project. Even if the wood won't clean up, plenty of used stock sets out there pretty cheap for the Mossberg 500.

Keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I need to buy some acetone as I'm in the process of removing epoxy from a blued barrel.

In the meantime, I have used what I have on hand and what has pulled off 95% of the epoxy is DOT 3 brake fluid. I remember using it as a paint remover years ago. The nice thing is, it has not messed with the bluing at all.
Fyi...acetone is way cheaper in the beauty dept, nail polish remover, than in the hardware dept.

·
Registered
29,861 Posts
If the action's tight, it's slick to rack, and the bore is not pitted, I'd leave it as is; a good priced utility gun you won't have to worry about "scratching" the finish on.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nah, I like my guns to look at least decent, at least original colors. The paint job on this thing has runs, wrinkles, wear spots, and just has a "gummy" feel to it. They spray-painted the safety, and it feels like it. They got paint on the inner working parts of the receiver, I wont trust it until I disassemble and clean those at the bare minimum.

·
Banned
4,262 Posts
Brian for the blued (now spray painted) parts I'd try a heat gun first. This may actually take off the krylon without the use of a harsh acetone that may strip off or effect the blued coating. Remember bluing is RUST, which acetone can & does remove.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Nice price! And it will be a even better project. If the furniture won't clean up, i would recommend getting a new set. Used stocks and after market are plentiful!

Keep us up to date and post pics!
Creek

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
If the action's tight, it's slick to rack, and the bore is not pitted, I'd leave it as is; a good priced utility gun you won't have to worry about "scratching" the finish on.
Yeah! And nobody will ever steal it!:D

Reactions: MOONDAWG
1 - 20 of 23 Posts