Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a progressive reloader. I am curious if anyone out there has any recommendations. Currently I am looking at the Hornady Lock-N-Load Auto Progressive Press.

·
Administrator
40,850 Posts
I have a Dillon Square Deal B, that I have been pretty impressed with. It only loads pistol calibers though. Don't shoot rifles enough to justify reloading for them. :shooter:

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
([quote Currently I am looking at the Hornady Lock-N-Load Auto Progressive Press.
[/quote])

Hey, that's my handle! (LOL) I have a Dillon RL550B. Great machine. If
you are really serious about reloading, a good progressive machine
works wonders!

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
Bubba, the only issues I have had with the 550b are good ones!
If you get one, once all your dies are set just right, everything checked
for powder weight, etc., the bullets come out like precision.

If you also get a brass cleaning machine, you won't be able to tell
the reloads from a factory bullet. It's definitely the way to go, for
serious shooting. I'm sure that Smokewagon would confirm that.

If you shoot several calibers, like most folks do, it may be in your
best interest to get die sets for each caliber. It will turn out
to be a bit of an investment. But if your budget will allow it, it
will turn out to be a great time saver.

All the champion shooters, like Rob Leatham & such, they reload.
And I'm fairly certain that they use progressive machines. Those guys
load literally thousands of rounds.

·
Administrator
40,850 Posts
I have nothing but good to say about my machine. I can turn 100 rounds easily in 15 minutes. So you can imagine what I can do out in the barn with enough supplies and nothing else to do for a day. Usually I stock up and then load. Maybe once every other month or so. :thumb:

·
Administrator
18,578 Posts
Own, operate, and recommend a Dillon XL650. Have mine custom setup and love it! Load mostly 9mm and .45 ACP on it. Have also used it for .38 Special, .223, and .308, but the Rifle Calibers involve more off-press prep work. I also have a Lyman T-Mag Press, which still mounted on the bench, still sees some work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
After using RCBS single stage presses since about 1965 for various calibers, I finally graduated to a Dillon XL650 a few months ago and absolutely love it for loading my 45acp's. I'm just amazed at what this press will do. I noticed that you load various calibers. Do you use the one press for all and just change the tool head, etc. Some shooters I associate with have a 650 for each caliber. Way too expensive for my budget. I'd like to get set up for some 9mm reloading and maybe even drag out my wheel guns (38/357). It appears to me that switching calibers may be quite time consuming and expensive too. Will you please send me a fairly detailed description of what's involved. My 650 has the auto case feeder and all the other bells and whistles. I bought it used, but it's in like new, out of the box condition.

Thanks in advance,

Jim
[email protected]

·
Super Moderator
35,691 Posts
I wore out the primer locater thingy on the square deal, called Dillon, in a few days first class main, freebies, plus a few other wearable parts tossed in. Best customer service in the industry IMHO.

I have a Lee Pro 1000. It's got a few idiosyncrasies, but gets the job done. It's much quicker to switch calibers on than the square deal. Not nearly as well made, though.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i've got the hornady lnl and have loaded .40 s&w on it. works just fine. also got the 1000 free bullets in the deal. hornady has an excellent, no arguments customer service reputation, too. they just don't crow about it as much. it is to be expected, not the exception. it was also $150 less than a 550b. switching calibers is really fast with the lnl system. i am soon to start loading .223 on it. had been loading on a single stage rcbs. still will for the calibers i only load a few at a time. but for the ammo burners like my ar-15 and my .40s, a progressive is the only way to go. red or blue (or green or whatever) see if you can check them out at a friend's or a reloading store. take everyone's advice as just that and then compare to your first hand / hands on knowledge. if you don't, it is just a matter of who likes what color koolaid best.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
To those of you who have progressive presses, when, if ever, do you clean the primer pockets of your fired cases? If you do take the time to clean them, doesn't it sort of short circuit the progressive cycle?

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
The Dillon company has a device called a tumbler. Not sure what name
the other companies use. Anyway, the case tumbler uses what is called
"media." That media can be crushed corncob. They also can use another
kind of media.

I forget what the other media is. But, I'm sure when other folks read this,
they will let you know. Anyway, you put the media in the case tumbler, then
you add your empty shell casings. You plug the tumbler in, turn on the switch,
& let it run. Also, you can add a polishing agent.

When the cleaning is done, the shells look like brand new brass. Cleaning the
brass has nothing to do with short circuiting the progressive cycle. It's something
you do periodically. There are different sizes of tumblers. The one I have from Dillon
will clean several hundred shell casings. There are larger tumblers, also.

And, the primer pockets get fairly cleaned out, too. Those tumblers do a pretty
decent job in cleaning the empties.

·
Administrator
18,578 Posts
PTDOUDE said:
To those of you who have progressive presses, when, if ever, do you clean the primer pockets of your fired cases?
I usually don't and it has never created a problem. I used to, when I loaded Single Stage.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
locknload said:
The Dillon company has a device called a tumbler. Not sure what name
the other companies use. Anyway, the case tumbler uses what is called
"media." That media can be crushed corncob. They also can use another
kind of media.

I forget what the other media is. But, I'm sure when other folks read this,
they will let you know. Anyway, you put the media in the case tumbler, then
you add your empty shell casings. You plug the tumbler in, turn on the switch,
& let it run. Also, you can add a polishing agent.

When the cleaning is done, the shells look like brand new brass. Cleaning the
brass has nothing to do with short circuiting the progressive cycle. It's something
you do periodically. There are different sizes of tumblers. The one I have from Dillon
will clean several hundred shell casings. There are larger tumblers, also.

And, the primer pockets get fairly cleaned out, too. Those tumblers do a pretty
decent job in cleaning the empties.
This "device" that dillon makes called, as you say, a "tumbler" that uses a "media" called "corncob" gets pieces of that substance "caught", or "stuck", in the primer holes in addition to doing a poor job of cleaning the primer pockets if they clean them at all.

So, how does this dillon device called a "progressive press" deal with the stuck pieces of "media" made of "corncob" or "other media" without the user having to individually inspect each case and individually clear each primer hole by punching out said "media" with a pointed object?

·
22,058 Posts
I have a Dillon Square Deal B, that I have been pretty impressed with. It only loads pistol calibers though. Don't shoot rifles enough to justify reloading for them.
I too use the square deal. We have two of them in our shop. We have 2 tumblers to clean the brass. Have not had a big issue with primer holes because we don't remove the old primer until after cleaning. It is one of the steps on the progressive loader. Dillon has been
great in supporting their equipment. If we need a part of have a problem they have taken care of it. Usually at no charge.

·
Registered
37 Posts
"To those of you who have progressive presses, when, if ever, do you clean the primer pockets of your fired cases? If you do take the time to clean them, doesn't it sort of short circuit the progressive cycle?"

i have never cleaned the primer pockets unless it was after taking the primer crimp out of military brass. it has never been a problem for me. i also don't load for bench rest accuracy either. if i did, i would be using my rcbs single stage.

airwrench has it right. clean your brass in a media tumbler before you deprime, resize and reprime.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
pastor paul said:
airwrench has it right. clean your brass in a media tumbler before you deprime, resize and reprime.
What he is saying is that he doesn't clean the primer pockets either. If he does, then he has to remove them from the shell plate after resizing in order to do so because they don't get cleaned in a vibra-tumbler with the old primers in place.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
PTDOUDE, I have to say that you are correct in your last reply.
I always extract the used primers from my brass before they go into
the tumbler. I never tumble my brass with the old primers in them.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
locknload said:
PTDOUDE, I have to say that you are correct in your last reply.
I always extract the used primers from my brass before they go into
the tumbler. I never tumble my brass with the old primers in them.
So you're either interrupting the "progressive" process when you do this, or you are removing the spent primers as a separate operation by resizing/decapping on a single station press first, or could it be that you have a single station press that decaps only before you take the cases over to your "progressive" press to start the reloading process. Which one is it?

Also, since you decap before tumbling, do you take the time to individually remove the stuck kernels of media that get caught in the primer holes before you place the brass on the shell plate for the progressive loading process or do you just run it without checking?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts