Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the test on December 15th. We'll see now how long the background perusal actually takes. I will check the DPS site daily to see.

Application : Received
Fingerprints : Complete Affidavits : Received
DL or ID : Valid
Citizenship : No documentation required
Passport photo holder : Received
Photo : Received
Proof of Classroom training : Received
Proof of Proficiency training : Received Fee : Received
Background Check : Under review
Concealed Handgun License : Print pending completion of application review

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Good luck! Hopefully you'll receive it soon. I think long waits and extensive background checks are going to become normal!

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good luck! Hopefully you'll receive it soon. I think long waits and extensive background checks are going to become normal!
That got me thinking (always dangerous!). How much more detailed is the check for a CHL than the one done to buy a firearm?

I guess I've never thought of that before.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
When I read the posts about what everyone else has to go thru to be able to CC, it sure makes me glad I got into a class early last year.. And also that I live in Iowa, where it took em a week to do background check and issue my license.. Good luck to you! I think Laker's right, it's gonna be a hell of a wait everywhere considering the current state of things

·
Registered
243 Posts
Good luck. I've had my permit for so long that I've forgot the procedure I had to do to get it. I'm sure I didn't have to give them fingerprints. But that was about 30 years ago.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I qualified on 9/16 and got my license in the mail about 60 days later.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I took me about 50 days to get mine I seem to recall.

·
Banned
405 Posts
It depends really. If you don't have a criminal background, that will certainly help, but anything criminal will slow the process significantly. I have no criminal background except a speeding ticket about 4 years ago that I paid so mine didn't take long. The background check isn't like a security clearance one where they dig deeply into your lifestyle, it's more focused on who you are, where you have been, and what you have been up to. The disqualifiers are pretty straight forward. For example, I didn't have a job for 7 months during a period covered in my CHL application background, I was not receiving unemployment nor did I seek it so the state likely would not have known had I not told them. I disclosed that I was unemployed and it was no issue. Simply, if you have nothing to hide, you will pass.

Almost forgot, even without a CHL you can keep a concealed handgun in your vehicle or watercraft, just don't have it on your person or make excessive detours walking from your home to the vehicle or similar.

Be glad that our CHL process is fairly straightforward, in some states getting one is about as fun as having numerous cold metal objects stuck in your butt.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
My wait in Mississippi was 45 days, but I must say...it was definitely worth the wait.

·
Registered
8,801 Posts

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Congratulations, and hope it gets processed quickly!
Mine took 31 days, but that was a while back.
You're going to wear out your browser hitting the DPS website!

Just chill, and get ready for your Wally Walk...

Reactions: Marinevietvet

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
In NC, once the training is complete and the application made with the sheriffs office the wait can be as little as 12 days or as long as 90 days. Rarely have I seen it take 90 days unless there are questions about previous felony convictions or domestic violence. If someone is retired military or just lived in several different places/states then the background can take longer. It also depends on the sheriff. We have a few counties where the sheriff is very anti 2nd Amendment and they will stall as long as the law allows.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The following thread may be of interest - having done all I could on line w/DPS prior to CHL class, then mailing pics and class completion day after class - had my license in 9 days.

That's what I did so hopefully the process is sped up by that.

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
What does the DPS web say about progress. Mine told me when received; then in process; then approved and next I knew I had in my hot hand.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What does the DPS web say about progress. Mine told me when received; then in process; then approved and next I knew I had in my hot hand.
As of today everything is approved except the background check. It's still under review.

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
Not that it matters, but guessing you sent all the on line stuff very shortly before your CHL class. I did mine about 4-6 weeks ahead of class, so all background checks, etc had been done when they got pics and class completion paperwork and probably reason for quick turn on mine. If not the case, will presume they are just backed up as I suspect they have been a mite busy for the last month.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts